What's new

Palmolive soap stick

Pros: Inexpensive
Cons: Lather
I didn't purchase this soap, it was given to me as a gift. But the price for one stick in UK, is probably a little over $1 in the States (excluding vat, etc..). Even though the soap is inexpensive, it has a plastic holder in the end to add a value. I thought that was a nice touch for an inexpensive soap. It lathers easily and provides adequate lubricant. The scent isn't remarkable but reminds of scent from school or health club shower room. It's clean and familiar.

As an inexpensive soap goes, I like Palmolive better than Arko. I believe Palmolive provides a little better lather quality and je ne sais quoi. But in the end, everything is subjective and depends on individual's perception and judgment.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice clean smell, easy to lather, inexpensive
I've used the Palmolive stick a few times and I must admit that I like it. I wasn't a shave stick user until I tried this one. The scent is nice and clean although it doesn't really smell like anything in particular except soap. It lathers easily and is sufficiently slick and cushiony. The handle on the bottom is sturdy and useful so I give it a 10 for quality. I got the stick as a sweetener on a trade, so I put the price at 10 considering the overseas price is ridiculously low.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Value for money.
Cons: Scent.
A humble soap yet an excellent performer. Recommended.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I brought home four sticks of EU Palmolive Shave Soap from a recent trip to Switzerland, and recently decided to give them a try. I grated two of the sticks into a tupperware bowl, lightly moistened it, packed it down hard, and let it dry out overnight. The next morning I loaded up a damp badger brush with the Palmolive and whipped up a bowl full of most excellent lather in short order. It was very easy to lather, and gave a smooth, comfortable shave. As a soap, it dried my face a little bit, but that was expected. The scent is a clean, soapy smell...in fact it smells very much like Palmolive bath soap! What a surprise...:tongue_sm

Bottom line: Unless you desire a soap with a high-end designer fragrance (i.e., expensive!), you'll have a hard time finding a finer (or cheaper) shaving soap than this one! :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
I purchased a couple of theses sticks to get to a point where I qualified for free shipping and I found something that will always be in my shaving ratation.
Very easy to lather and gives a great shave.I highly recommend.

Paul
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Palmolive's Shave Stick is one of the best products you can buy for wet shaving.

The price is unbeatable, at a few dollars a piece. The quality is great. I personally love the scent, clean and soapy with a little sweet spiciness in the mix. I've been able to get copious, thick lather with the stick by rubbing it on my face and loading the brush a bit. It is efficient; I suppose a cream would be easier to work with, though not by much. It is also rather moisturizing.

I would recommend this shave stick to anyone in a heart beat.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Been using this for a few years in my rotation, so about time i did a review, this is as cheap as it comes in the uk at 49 pence, and available just about anywhere, the quality is as good as products way more than this, it has a slight scent, but nothing spectacular, but the lather is always rich and creamy, and always delivers a great shave, i could quite happily use this if there was nothing else about, and save a fortune at the same time.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I finally got around to buying Palmolive stick and tried it this week. I grated it down into a bowl. I gotta say, it has been good. When I'm not using AoS soaps, I'm a big fan of cheap tallow soaps and those tend to be in stick form. I have a bunch of Arko and I like that soap a lot, but the Palmolive might be right on it's heels. This review will basically compare these two budget shaving sticks.

The price is cheap, but not dirt cheap like Arko. I got a 3 pack on ebay for about $3.20/stick including delivery costs. This was the best price I found. I got Arko in bulk for about $1.20/stick including delivery costs and the Arko sticks are 50% larger than the Palmolive sticks.

Quality is a 10 hands down. This is a very good no frills tallow soap that is hard in cosistency (more so than Arko). The lather is among the best I have seen and is very rich and creamy, just like a good tallow soap should be. The lather may be a touch creamier than Arko but just a little less so than AoS. Even though it lathers easily, it does not lather as easy as Arko (which lathers easier than anything I've ever used.) Palmolive soap gives me the same smooth, irritation-free shave that I get from either Arko or AoS. I really have minimal to zero difference in results. Moisturizing is fine.

I saved scent for last because this is where the soap loses some points from me. It is simply a clean soapy smell and that is by far my favorite type of grooming scent. However, it is so muted that the stick borders on being unscented. I really wish they would make it more potent like Arko. Arko also smells clean and soapy but it has an over-the-top potency that gives you a haymaker in the face every morning. Palmolive probably does smell a little better though.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Palmolive is one of my favorite tallow soaps. For the price, the quality cannot be beat. I don't get much scent, but the performance is what really matters. Easy to always build a thick, creamy lather with good moisturizing properties as well. I can consistently get BBS shaves utilizes this soap.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I received a shipment of Palmolive shave sticks from Pumpkin over the weekend and all I can say is, "WOW!" I absolutely love this stuff! I haven't been able to put it down all week.

Price: Even with overseas shipping, this stuff is very well priced. A no-brainer "10" here.

Quality: Another "10", because it's a huge amount of bang-for-the-buck

Scent: The scent doesn't do too much for me, not really exciting, but not offensive either. "7"

Lather: Boy-howdy does this stuff lather easily! I tend to have a bit of trouble getting good lather with shaving soap, because of hard water. But, this stuff lathers up almost immediately. "10"

Efficacy: Nice and slick. Smooth shave! "10"

Moisturizing: My skin feels pretty nice after using this stuff. "9"

If you don't have a stick of this stuff in your arsenal, you're missing out!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
A shave stick that should be in everyones rotation. Cheap as chips and lathers up great with my Omega boar. Makes the 3 T soaps look way overpriced.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Great soap. Got my first one as a free gift from Erwin, a vendor on B & B, with a razor purchase. A great discovery. Nice lather, nice scent, very slick. It's my go-to for traveling.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
If I didn't feel the need, the urge, to purchase other soaps and creams I could quite happily shave for the rest of my existence with this very cheap shaving stick. Oh and did I mention its cheap!! 50 pence (uk)! :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I picked up a stick in Germany last week, and I'm very disappointed...

...disappointed that I didn't buy a dozen more. This is great. It's my first shave stick, and I couldn't be happier. One thin film on my beard, and my brush explodes into enough lather for three passes. The scent is mild and pleasing--kind of a muted Grafton. It smells clean and natural.

This is THE PERFECT dopp kit shave soap and will become my permanent travel companion.

BTW, I purchased the gut 2.2 version with potassium tallowate and sodium tallowate as the first two ingredients.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This humble soap is climbing to the top of my rotation.

I can't add much more to the discussion - no it doesn't have the nice tube and cap the Irisch Moos or other higher end sticks do.

It just comes cheap, lathers like a champ, and smells good. Not a subtle cologne scent like an English cream, but not a cheap, nasty chemical scent like Williams or Arko either.

I do recommend wetting this little guy when soaking the brush. Helps it get going, it's a fairly hard soap. That's part of its appeal for me - the value. This 'little engine that could' shave stick lasts a long time.

I've laid in a supply against any future formulation changes. I like it that much.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I have been using these Palmolive sticks since I first started shaving, much longer ago than I care to remember. Great lather, nice clean aroma and very good consistency. I always pick them up when I go back to the UK to visit family but they can be found online at superlather.com. They are extremely good value.
Another wonderful super cheap offering. Loaded with tallow and palm oil it produces a nice protective and slick lather. It has a nice clean and fresh scent that doesn't linger. With the exception of the price, color, and scent it reminds me of Speick. Makes me wonder. Great soap, I'm very happy.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I used Palmolive soap from the time I began shaving (largely because it was the brand my father used), until I abandoned it for canned goo ten or so years ago. Since taking up DE shaving I've been trying out various soaps and creams, but only picked up a stick of Palmolive to fill a vintage travel kit I'd bought.

The first thing that struck me was the scent, nostalgia not just for my youth but the memory of my father lathering up from his tin cup on the mantelpiece above the kitchen fire.

What really amazed me was the lather. My previous experience was using brushes of varying quality, but under a Simpson's best badger brush I was quickly able to whisk up a fine lather, that was easy under the razor and left my skin soft despite eschewing balm for a splash of Old Spice aftershave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
The US of A used to be the land of Williams, Old Spice, Colgate, Seaforth, and other cheap, wonderful shaving soaps, either in pucks or in stick form.

I've got a vintage Williams stick that lathers like a dream, has a pleasing rose scent, and, even adjusted for inflation, was a bargain for the original purchaser.

Today, however, if you go to the local drug store you are faced with a dismaying array of canned foams, gels and expensive brushless creams. If you ask for a shaving stick, the kid at the counter will either try to get you a handle for a Fusion, or perhaps, if he's a go-getter who knows the inventory, will ask if you want a styptic pencil...and he'll be proud that he knows what one is!

Our friends in Europe have us beat hands down when it comes to great shaving soaps, and not just because of the German workhorse Tabac and the English luxury stuff.

They've got Palmolive shave sticks, and they practically grow on trees.

My brother picked me up a couple while he was in Germany...he purchased them as afterthoughts while purchasing some Tabac since they were so cheap.

A quick internet search finds that I can get them for about seven bucks a pop shipped, and I can only envy being able to pick them up at the corner store for less than I'd spend for a fancy morning coffee.

The stick comes wrapped in foil, and has a green plastic ring on the base. Nothing special here. I'd love to have a tube to protect it while it sat in the drawer or in a dopp kit, but hey, that's what big medicine bottles are for.

It's got a clean, Irish Spring kind of soapy scent, lathers like crazy and shaves great. Not super moisturizing, not drying. It just works, and works well. Lots of cushion, good glide.

Yes, our American mass market products are put to shame by the lowly Palmolive shave stick. Proctor & Gamble, Burt's Bees, Barbasol, modern Williams, all get their butts kicked by some chump change for this little jewel.

If it wasn't for the US artisan soapers, we'd be completely outclassed when it comes to shave sticks...thank goodness for small businesses!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I'm using Palmolive for almost 2 years now. (bought in Belgium)
I'm not rating "scent", because that's all too personal. Let's just say Palmolive has just a very mild scent of, well eh, "soap". I wouldn't call it perfumed.
I didn't rate moisturizing either. I don't know what this means when talking about a soap.
It lathers very easy, both on the face and in a bowl. When the lather is fully whipped up, it's a bit less compact than Tabac. I shave exclusively with a straight razor, so it doesn't matter much. Tabac also has a bit more glide, which does matter, but I find its scent to poignant.
I've grated half a stick of Tabac and an equal amount of Palmolive, and mixed them together in a bowl. (mix the flakes, put in bowl, add a few drops of hot water, put a piece of cling film over it, and push down till it sits firmly in the bowl). I've not yet come across a soap that could beat this tandem for me.

Best regards,
Bart.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)