What's new

Palmolive soap stick

I bought it with high hopes since it has tallow. This is my second shaving stick, after the Wilkinsons shave stick, which I love.

Going through the ratings:

You can't knock the price - apparently really cheap in Europe. Available from Superlather for $4.00 US.

Quality is ok as is the scent - nothing spectacular either way. I had a strange problem with it - if I rub it directly on my wet face, I get a slight burning sensation. If I charge the brush and lather up in a bowl, the resulting lather doesn't burn. I've been using that way, albeit infrequently.

The lather quality was ok, but not as good as the Wilkinsons stick. Overall, good quality shave. I found it a little drying.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
Very good price-performans-ratio. Like soap from Arko.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
After reading some recommendations on here regarding cheap drugstore brands, I tried Erasmic stick (69p in the UK)!

I liked the smell but the three or four shaves I had with it were mediocre at best - the lather didn't seem particularly lubricating and dried very quickly.

I binned it and decided to stick to Tabac as my main soap and forget the cheaper products. You get what you pay for, right?

However, I saw some Palmolive in a store recently and thought I'd give it a shot.

What can I say - WOW. How on earth can this little stick match Tabac's performance at this stupid price (also around 70p in the UK)? :biggrin:

A total bargain. Everyone needs to try some of this, and keep it for travel when you want a decent shave but don't want to lose your expensive soaps.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I am usually restrictive with the ratings I give to various shaving products, but in this case there is simply no better value for money soap, and I can't imagine the quality, lather, efficacy or moisturizing properties being better in any other soap, so I had to give Palmolive the highest score on these points.
Regarding the scent, it is certainly not a fancy up-market fragrance, and so it can't get a very high score, but personally I quite like the clean soap scent, which I think has a subtle but distinctive masculine tone to it.

To me the Palmolive stick is, together with Tabac, the gold standard of tallow based soaps, and I think they rank equal in performance. The choice between the two is mostly a matter of which scent one prefers. For me, it's definitively Palmolive.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
This was the first, and for more than ten years the only, shaving soap I ever tried.
I have used it with cartridges, disposeables and DE's.
Though I have moved on to more luxurious soaps I always keep a stick handy if I feel nostalgic or needs to lather up in a hurry. I am able to build op a nice and thick lather directly on the stick, no bowl necessary.

Price
It can be found anywhere here in Denmark and it is cheaper than canned goo

Quality
Amazing when compared to the price. But there are better soaps to be found, just not at this price-point

Scent
This is the only ascpect of this soap that has never really appealed to me - and the main reason that I have moved on to other soaps

Lather
Very good. I have had much worse lather from much more expensice soaps

Efficacy
Very good. Unbeatable at the price

Moisturizing
Very good. The best I have tried so far

Regards.

Jakob
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This is one of the best I've used, without question. It lathers beautifully, helps the blade effortlessly and is really good value. Excellent!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This is possibly THE very best shaving product for its price.

£0.50(ish) for something that so effortlessly produces so much thick lather is a no-brainer.

The scent is soapy . . . it is soap.
Remarkable value for money and a really good quality. I'm not crazy about the scent, but it's much more pleasant than the equally cheap Erasmic stick, and incomparably better than Arco, which smells to me like you should clean toilets with it.
Great lather and a really good shave (even in London, where the water is so hard it comes out of the taps in lumps!). Skin feels fine afterwards, not dried out at all.
For the price you forego luxuries like a nice container and it might be an idea to mash it up into a ramekin (could work well if you used a couple of sticks for this).
I recommend it but life would be a bit sad if you didn't have one or two other soaps in the rota.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
you don't get what you pay for!!!, you get more, much more !!!. this is the cheapest and more effective soap ever made by human beings, period. i have tried tabac, l'occitane, mitchell's wool fat and creams and this one beats the guts out of all others above. tabac is nice, l'occitane nearly perfect and MWF simply out of service and horrid, but this little gem is the perfect soap out there. the way i use this soap is taking it out of its plastic base and foil, holding it (the best i can) on the palm of my hand, swirling 90 or 100 times my shavemac xl silvertip on it ( after a quick two shakes of my brush) and straight to my bowl. sometimes i dip the tip of the brush in the water to add moisture to the mixture and you will be rewarded with an enormous volume of super shining lather and you will feel the razor slipping on your face.
Bought some a few days ago, and now wondering why I never bought it before!! :bored:

Nice scent, great lather, Great price!

Don't be like me....buy some today! :biggrin:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
At a low price that is almost free, these are a must try. There was no rating for Packaging, which is a chintzy aluminum foil wrap over the stick, and tucked in a cheap cardboard box. No plastic tube here, but also not expected at the low price. With stick and face wetted, the stick readily and generously deposits soap onto the whiskers as the stick is scuffed over the face.

When stroked and worked with a shave brush, the soap immediately fluffs to a suds and then quickly turns into a dense lather the consistency of a wet cake frosting. Aroma is nice. Wetness and Slickness are excellent. This shave stick performs well beyond its price point. Easy to use, developed a brush core of dense lather that will handle multiple passes. I believe the soap is superfatted and leaves the face moisturized. The lather is well suited for shaving. I enjoy using the stick.

-- John Gehman
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
(the european variety - bought in denmark)

I love this soap - and prefer the scent to that of just about any other shaving product. I find it leaves my skin dryer than the palmolive shaving cream, but I suppose that is to be expected for a soap.

The packaging, while not luxurious is good quality as far as tin-foil wrap and cardboard boxes goes. The simple packaging, because it is not needlessly wasteful, just adds to the appeal of this soap in my opinion. I have used this as my main soap for more than a year and the quality has been very consistent.

It is easy to lather, both on the face or in a bowl. (I gave it a 9 for lather because my dr harris arlington shave stick is slightly easier to lather on the face, and appears a tad more creamy/rich) I sometimes cut off a slice and stick it to the bottom of my shave bowl, which also works well. A 3 mm slice will last me about a week, and that's when not being economical with the lather ... used on the face it will last you a very long time...

It is not at all greasy, which adds to the overall impression of cleanness this sope evokes.... and did I mention it has a nice scent ...
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I bought two 50g sticks for just over £1. That's 100g for £1!!! I put them together in an old shaving bowl and set the microwave to work! A bit of manipulation, pressing and smoothing has given me a 100g of excellent grade shaving soap for peanuts.
An absolute bargain!
Cheers,
Martin :w00t:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
By it's own terms this product is perfect. It's not supposed to be a luxury product with a fine scent, it's supposed to be a basic, cheap, shaving soap. It doesn't smell bad it just smells of soap. It lathers very well, it's highly lubricating and in general will just give you a really great shave. I can't think of a shaving product that's better value for money. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anybody looking for an everyday shaving product and I regularly use it myself.

For travel: get yourself and old 35mm film canister and chop a chunk off the stick to fit - the result is compact, robust, neat, long lasting and completely reliable.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Unbelievable value for money and ease of use here. The lather this creates after a quick wipe over the face is quite incredible. I always lather on my face and there is always enough in the brush with this product for four full passes and added touch-ups.

The packaging is cheap and there is no cover for the stick to keep it pristine but IMHO it is better than Trumpers Limes soap (my only other point of reference) for both lathering and moisturising, if not for scent. And that's not even taking the price differential (GFT - £16 in bowl, Palmolive - 50p) into account.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I bought one of these the other day from a local cheapy shop that sells all sorts of stuff. I thought I'd check their small shaving range out which was mostly canned goo. Squirreled away at the back I found this so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

You can't go wrong with the price, 69p UK or $1.41 US. That's the cheapest I've ever paid for any shaving product! Once scrubbed into the stubble you get a pleasant, fresh soapy smell. The lather is very easy to achieve and well rich too. Nice moisturising which is probably due to the ingredients which boasts both tallowate and glycerin amongst many others including palm extract.

To conclude, I got a really good shave with this and it made a nice, refreshing change to try something different!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
For my day to day shave I have alternated between the Palmolive stick & cream for the last 12 years, I don't think that there are any better products using the quality v price ratio. You could spend a lot more money on a soap & end up purchasing a vastly inferior product, I enjoy using the more top end products on weekends & for special occasions but for day to day use Palmolive is great.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Superb soap. It is the first soap i was tought to shave with by my father. The packaging isn't the best for traveling since it's packaged in aluminufoile but the size is.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
One of the best cheap shaving soaps. While it does not exude luxury like a bowl of Trumpers Sandlewood, it will shave close, comfortably, and moisturise quite acceptably. Handy size for travel, and it lasts well too, as is expected of a tallow soap. It's been around for years, and there's a reason for that. Well reccomended.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
The Euro Palmolive shave stick is different than others, in thats its of a somewhat softer consistency. The scent is similar to the cream, which is very enjoyable. A clean, fresh, & spicy scent :drool:

It also lathers well, and gives a close shave....leaves the skin soft as well.

Only good things to say about this one!

:thumbup:

Can be hard to come by in the U.S.
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing