displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

I had NO idea what to expect when comparing a lowly synthetic shaving brush to the gold class – silvertip badger haired brushes. Synthetic usually means cheap… but this isn’t any run of the mill $10 synthetic shaving brush, this sucker will set you back a shocking $50, which is the price of quite a few decent badger brushes!

So – is it worth it? Well, of course, that depends who you ask. Personally – I think it is. While not “super-luxurious” like a Kent or the MP, this brush is surprisingly soft and luxurious against ones face, and does a tremendous job at building lather, and does so with VERY little water. The cost of this brush is lessened by the fact that this brush comes with a shaving stand in the box, as well as a small tube of shaving cream – good for about 30 shaves.

Bristle – Soft, yet not floppy at all. The brush splays readily/easily.

Handle – Cheap and hollow, like a Plisson. Although light, it is comfortable, and with the light brush head, the brush is well balanced.

Quality – All things considered, it’s build decent. Nothing exceptional, however it did not lose a single hair, and will probably have quite a long lifespan.

Overall – This is actually an extremely nice shaving brush for the money. While I would still prefer a C&E/EJ $40 best badger, I think for $50 it’s a decent shaving brush. The Men-U is certainly something different, and for a reasonable price. Since it is synthetic, it dries within a few minutes, so it’s actually an OUTSTANDING travel brush.

To discuss this review – please use THIS thread!

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Latest reviews

Pros: Good solid feel
Cons: very stiff
This was my first shaving brush and I've now owned it for two years. I've now bought a Bluebeard's Revenge synthetic brush so have something to compare with.

The brush handle feels solid and nicely weighted. Very comfortable to hold and to use. Synthetic brushes don't really hold/absorb water like badger hair brushes do. The bristles feel nice and soft but are stiff compared to other brushes. I like it.

Latherability - it does well with both soap and cream. The stiffness of the bristles means it does take longer to generate lather but the lather is thick and creamy. You cannot face-lather with this brush. It around 12-18 months of regular use for the bristles to splay out enough to even comtemplate face lathering. The splaying of bristles has also helped with generating lather.

Where it falls down is in price. It is not worth the £40 I paid for it.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
D
Pros: durable, makes copious lather from little product quickly
I've been using this brush for the 3 years I've been wet shaving. Have no useful points of comparison with other brushes having only ever tried (very briefly) a cheapish second hand boar brush given to me by a friend. However with the MenU I've found I'm able to produce lovely creamy lather very quickly with small quantities of both cream and soap. This is the case on my hand, face or more normally in a coffee mug. Feels soft on my skin but stiff enough to pick up soap from a cake and to work the lather into the face. I've been particularly impressed with it's durability - while the plastic handle did feel disappointingly cheap and lacking solidity when I first opened the packet, 3 years later it's showing zero signs of doing anything other than lasting forever. There's also been no bristle loss over this time and it works as well today as when I got it.

Having seen other brushes on shaving videos and in stores I can see how the aesthetics of this brush don't rival others in the same price bracket, so if weight, looks and a solid feeling handle are things you value in a brush then you may want to look elsewhere. Personally, despite having been tempted to try different razors, soaps and balms over the years, I've never had a moment when I wanted to experiment with another brush; consistently gives me lots of great lather easily and distributes it well on the face.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I have compared this brush to 13 others at <http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1991663#post1991663>
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
1.00 star(s)