What's new

Thiers Issard 6/8 Special Coiffeur (AKA Super Gnome)

Item Description

displayimage.php

For the gentleman who prefers plain, simple razors - yet demands the utmost in performance - let me present to you the Thiers Issard 1937 Special Coiffeur. While the 6/8 Special Coiffeur is no longer available - it's twin brother the "Super Gnome" is still readily available from most online retailers that carry the TI line for around $90.

displayimage.php

What makes this TI unique/special? Well, although it is the least expensive offering from TI, it's also the only razors in their line with a 1/2 hollow blade. You see, most TI's are extra hollow - singing razors with a tremendous amount of flex in the blades.... and some gents with particularly unruly beard growth prefer the feeling and performance of a thicker grind - like this 1/2 hollow razor.

displayimage.php

The fit/finish on this razor is the standard Thiers Issard "so-so" - where this razor really shines is properly honed and against your face. While it is quite plain, and reasonably priced - this razor is one hell of a shaver.... in my opinion as good - or perhaps better than any other Thiers Issard branded razor I have tried under $300.

displayimage.php

Overall:
This isn't going to knock the silverwing or the LE Hammer off of their spot at the top of the hill, but it does offer an outstanding (performance wise) razor at a very affordable price point for a brand spankin' new razor. For those gentleman who aren't fans of fancy gold washes, loud/colorful scale material, and are no frills, no nonsense sort of fellows, these razors provide exactly what you're looking for.... a damn good shave.

TO ASK QUESTIONS OR DISCUSS THIS REVIEW, PLEASE SEE THIS THREAD!

Latest reviews

Can't go wrong with this razor! Half hollowed ground available at knife center. P
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
Well folks I recently went to a TI treasure hunt and this was one of my acquisitions from those adventures.

First let me say that razor is a superb value at the price it WAS offered.

Pictures do not do justice to the blade. The plain blade with black lettering may look a bit tacky in pictures but when you actually see the blade it looks simple and elegant IMO.

The scales are a different matter. It has the usual flaws. I am not concerned with it because the scales will soon be Cocobolo or Rosewood:biggrin:

The str8 had a pretty decent edge when it arrive (kinda surprised by it), so it was not to difficult to get it shave ready.
4k/8k 12k Chinese and CrO2 pasted strop and viola.

It made all the hair on my face disappear.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

For the gentleman who prefers plain, simple razors - yet demands the utmost in performance - let me present to you the Thiers Issard 1937 Special Coiffeur. While the 6/8 Special Coiffeur is no longer available - it's twin brother the "Super Gnome" is still readily available from most online retailers that carry the TI line for around $90.

displayimage.php

What makes this TI unique/special? Well, although it is the least expensive offering from TI, it's also the only razors in their line with a 1/2 hollow blade. You see, most TI's are extra hollow - singing razors with a tremendous amount of flex in the blades.... and some gents with particularly unruly beard growth prefer the feeling and performance of a thicker grind - like this 1/2 hollow razor.

displayimage.php

The fit/finish on this razor is the standard Thiers Issard "so-so" - where this razor really shines is properly honed and against your face. While it is quite plain, and reasonably priced - this razor is one hell of a shaver.... in my opinion as good - or perhaps better than any other Thiers Issard branded razor I have tried under $300.

displayimage.php

Overall:
This isn't going to knock the silverwing or the LE Hammer off of their spot at the top of the hill, but it does offer an outstanding (performance wise) razor at a very affordable price point for a brand spankin' new razor. For those gentleman who aren't fans of fancy gold washes, loud/colorful scale material, and are no frills, no nonsense sort of fellows, these razors provide exactly what you're looking for.... a damn good shave.

TO ASK QUESTIONS OR DISCUSS THIS REVIEW, PLEASE SEE THIS THREAD!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)