What's new

Lord Premium Safety Razor Model LP.1822 (with new Merkur Like Head)

Item Description

I wanted to put up a review for the Lord Premium Safety Razor, Model 1822, with the new Merkur Like Head. This razor existed in an earlier rendition with a tech like head, and that is the model currently being sold in the us (and reviewed here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34663).

Hopefully at some point the newer model with the Merkur like head becomes available, as this razor is wonderful!!

I have dubbed this razor the "Lord Merkur Tech".

This razor does a superb job! It also has a longer than usual handle, which is always a benefit for those of us with bigger hands.

This is a 3 piece model razor, and as you might know 3 piece models are extremely durable; they are built like a tank, only repeated dropping will render them un-usable.

While I think the razor shaves wonderfully, I did take a few points off in terms of overall quality: if you compare this model to a higher end model, side by side, there will be a noticeable difference in the quality of the plating. This is purely aesthetics though, and doesn't affect the quality of the shave.

If this were widely available in the US, this would be the go to razor I would recommend for budget minded newbies, as it is just that good. :001_tt1:

P.S. In spirit of full disclosure, I feel the need to tell you that I "created" this razor by switching parts on two separate razors, since this in not widely available in the us:

I bought a "Lord Tech" and a "Lord Smart" from Shoebox Shave Shop, and simply traded the plastic handle on the "Lord Smart" for the metal handle on the "Lord Tech". This results in the identical razor being sold by Lord as the model 1822 with the Merkur like Head. :biggrin:

Latest reviews

Pros: An excellent shaver at a low cost. High recommended.
Cons: Handle can feel cheap.....thats it really!
I have used this razor for well over a year now as I was taking a break from spending my income on shaving products (I know.... I have sinned :-( lol).

What I can say is that I have found this razor absolutely delightful. Even though it has a head similar to Merkur, in reality it feels a lot more smooth to me than a merkur razor and, in fact, I sold my merkur razors after getting this one.

I guess some members (depending on beard growth) may find this one a little less aggressive and those who like posh things may find it a little cheap, but ultimately this is a simple 3 part razor that can last for years and that performs well.

Perfect as a starter and for those on a budget. Highly recommended and rated excellent for that reason. I do not know of a cheaper razor that delivers that good a shave.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Price and effectiveness
Cons: You will not pass this on to your grandsons
If you want value, the Lord 1822 delivers. It was my first DE razor and I'm not sure I've ever had a better shave since I moved on to more expensive razors. The aluminum handle makes the balance wonky, but you get used to it quickly. The Lord 1822 is smooth and forgiving, but also gives a mighty good shave. The quality, however, is lacking. I already see a tiny bit of plate loss and some discoloration. If you want an heirloom, look elsewhere.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
I have been using this for a while now. I absolutely love this razor. It has allowed me to perfect my technique as a DE newboy to the extent that I can now get a BBS when I want to.

The longer handle gives it perfect balance and seems much more sensible to me than many of the highly rated razors with short stubs as surely a sharp blade in a soapy environment demands better grip ?

I think for the low price it cannot be bettered, and I know when I rub my face each morning that it will be impossible for me to buy a razor that will give better results.

It's only flaw is the slight finish defects on the head. Nothing major to be honest and nothing to effect the shave. It's just not "perfect".

This little fella is with me for keeps. Nature decrees I will "upgrade" and I have ordered a Merkur long handled classic to hopefully replicated the performance but with a top range implement - which is silly but hey :blushing:

But it's this razor that will be in my suitcase forever, and will stay in thE rotation regardless.

Buy one and see - from a results perspective there isn't a need for anything else w:wink2:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)