What's new

Feather DE razor blades

Item Description

Believe it or not, my very first DE shave was with a Feather blade, in a surprisingly crappy Feather DE razor. What the hell was I thinking? Got a great, BBS shave right off the bat without a nick. Unfortunately, ensuing shaves had my ever-supportive wife asking "What's par for your face?" Funny thing was, I didn't feel a thing. They say the same about getting bit by a piranha (serrasalmus nattereri)- so sharp you don't feel the cut.

Sure, they're sharp, but they're not the terrors they're made out to be (what a poorly constructed sentence). A slow hand (I see Eric Clapton in a Feather commercial) and a modicum of respect is all you need to master a blade that can transform an otherwise timid razor (Merkur long handle comes to mind) into a top flight shaver. That doesn't mean you should load your slant bar with it after a bellyfull of tequila.

There's a special floating around for $28/100 delivered, which is a steal. They tend to be a tad rough on my neck, but, overall, I like 'em.

Latest reviews

Pros: First few shaves are amazing, the blades graze through stubble as if it doesn't exist. Few passes needed to achieve BBS results.
Cons: Shortlived sharpness, the fine characteristics of the blade disappear after 2 or 3 shaves. And the sharpness is unforgiving. If you nick yourself it can result in a bloodbath.
An interesting blade to keep in my rotation, as I like a good challenge as an enthusiastic wetshaver. :). I agree with other reviewers that you can achieve very nice results with this blade if you pay close attention to your shave. But the blade is unforgiving if you make a misstep. They are not the cheapest blades, but compared to the cartridge stuff it's still a bargain to keep some of these blades in your den.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp
Cons: Short life span
I try to go 6 shaves on one blade, but the feather just doesn't want to go there for me. It is a very sharp blade that can be unforgiving at times. You cant rush through a shave with these.

The first couple of shaves are great and worth it.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp, smooth
Cons: Pricey
I used the Hi-Stainless blades without the platinum coating. As a blade, Feathers are difficult to beat. They really are DAMN sharp but aren't dangerous as long as you have a good method. I get some of my smoothest shaves with them! No tugging at all, so much so that it feels like the razor isn't cutting.

Now for the 2 downsides.
1) They don't last very long. I only get two shaves per side usually, never more than three.
2) The price! If they were less expensive I would use a LOT of them, but at 5 to 8 bucks for a 5 a pack I don't see that happening any time soon.

Truly astonishing blades, just not worth the money. Go buy some NOS Tomac blades instead!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)