What's new

Boticeria De Havana Shave Cream

Item Description

I purchased this at AJ's a local market here in Phoenix a few weeks ago wanting to see what it was like. You know how it is, you see a new shave product and go WOOT:w00t: And I've used it for the past couple of weeks, wanting to give it a fair shake. I didn't want to give the type of review where someone uses the product once and writes "GAAA THIS IS THE BEST/WORST STUFF EVAR!!!"
OK so let's start.
First off this is not a true shave cream, lathering or non-lathering. It is a pre-shave. Let's look at the instructions shall we?

Boticario Shave Crème

Jojoba esters and natural extract specially blended for a smooth shave. Crème contains orange oil, wheat protein, coffee & pineapple extracts and Vitamin E - ingredients rich in alpha hydroxy acids known to reduce the appearance of razor burn. For best results: Men should apply small amount under favorite shaving foam, shaving first in the direction of the grain of hair -then repeating against the grain. Women can use in the shower or bath for a nick-free, moisturizing shave. The secret of Havana's society.

You apply first to your face and then lather over it. It is for all intents and purposes a pre-shave cream. I saw that when I purchased it and said "What the heck, give it a try." Now on to the nitty gritty

The first time I used it, I accidentally squeezed out more than I wanted, more than enough to make a decent lather. So I decided to see if it would lather with a brush. Using my Omega 6151 Lucretia Borgia pure badger, I tried to whip it into a lather. De nada. Nothing. Kaput. Wouldn't lather at all. So then I added C&E Nomad shave cream to the mix and got a weak lather from that. Which is unusual as Nomad lathers really well. The BDH kept the lather down. I shaved with it and got a DFS. This was on January 14 over the next 2-3 weeks I've used by applying it to my face first and lathering over it afterward.
I've used C&E Sandalwood, AoS Sandalwood,TOBS Sandalwood, MWF, Muhle SeaBuckthorn, C.O. Bigelow, Mama Bear's Bay Rhum-Diogenes Club-Dragon's Blood, Suzie Bubbles Goat's Milk/Cucumber&Melon shave stick and I can't remember what else testing this stuff out. And what did I find out? I did find out which soaps and creams work best for me. That the quality of the shave depended more on that then it did BDH shave cream. I'm not saying that it didn't contribute anything to the shave but washing my face with hot water and putting a hot washcloth on my face worked better.
So looking at the ingredients I decided to try it as an ASB.
DING DING DING:thumbup:
This is where it shines, really shines. Here's the ingredient list.
Purified Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Jojoba Esters (Buxus Esters), Dimethicone, Wheat Milk (Triticum vulgare Germ Oil), Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Potassium Palmitoyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Stearic Acid, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides (Cocos Nucifera Esters), Glycerin, Orange Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Peg-40-Stearate, Pineapple Extract, Coffee Extract, Carbomer 940, Essential Oil Fragrance Blend (Parfum), Trolamine, Vitamin E, Phenoxyethanol.
Now I don't know what all that stuff is but I know how soft and smooth my face feels after I put it on as an ASB.
While MWF makes my face feel that way, most soaps and creams don't and this does help out a lot.
That is the upside of it. The downside (aside it being a mediocre pre-shave) is the price. Costs $22 for a tube which is 115 grams of cream. So the price is up there with other high end products.
Another good thing about it is the scent. It has a citrusy smell to it and combines well with scent of Nomad SC.
I don't recommend it as a pre-shave but as an ASB. Definately worth the price there.
Packaging, it comes in a brown box. But the tube is aluminum which I like.

Latest reviews

I purchased this at AJ's a local market here in Phoenix a few weeks ago wanting to see what it was like. You know how it is, you see a new shave product and go WOOT:w00t: And I've used it for the past couple of weeks, wanting to give it a fair shake. I didn't want to give the type of review where someone uses the product once and writes "GAAA THIS IS THE BEST/WORST STUFF EVAR!!!"
OK so let's start.
First off this is not a true shave cream, lathering or non-lathering. It is a pre-shave. Let's look at the instructions shall we?

Boticario Shave Crème

Jojoba esters and natural extract specially blended for a smooth shave. Crème contains orange oil, wheat protein, coffee & pineapple extracts and Vitamin E - ingredients rich in alpha hydroxy acids known to reduce the appearance of razor burn. For best results: Men should apply small amount under favorite shaving foam, shaving first in the direction of the grain of hair -then repeating against the grain. Women can use in the shower or bath for a nick-free, moisturizing shave. The secret of Havana's society.

You apply first to your face and then lather over it. It is for all intents and purposes a pre-shave cream. I saw that when I purchased it and said "What the heck, give it a try." Now on to the nitty gritty

The first time I used it, I accidentally squeezed out more than I wanted, more than enough to make a decent lather. So I decided to see if it would lather with a brush. Using my Omega 6151 Lucretia Borgia pure badger, I tried to whip it into a lather. De nada. Nothing. Kaput. Wouldn't lather at all. So then I added C&E Nomad shave cream to the mix and got a weak lather from that. Which is unusual as Nomad lathers really well. The BDH kept the lather down. I shaved with it and got a DFS. This was on January 14 over the next 2-3 weeks I've used by applying it to my face first and lathering over it afterward.
I've used C&E Sandalwood, AoS Sandalwood,TOBS Sandalwood, MWF, Muhle SeaBuckthorn, C.O. Bigelow, Mama Bear's Bay Rhum-Diogenes Club-Dragon's Blood, Suzie Bubbles Goat's Milk/Cucumber&Melon shave stick and I can't remember what else testing this stuff out. And what did I find out? I did find out which soaps and creams work best for me. That the quality of the shave depended more on that then it did BDH shave cream. I'm not saying that it didn't contribute anything to the shave but washing my face with hot water and putting a hot washcloth on my face worked better.
So looking at the ingredients I decided to try it as an ASB.
DING DING DING:thumbup:
This is where it shines, really shines. Here's the ingredient list.
Purified Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Jojoba Esters (Buxus Esters), Dimethicone, Wheat Milk (Triticum vulgare Germ Oil), Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Potassium Palmitoyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Stearic Acid, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides (Cocos Nucifera Esters), Glycerin, Orange Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Peg-40-Stearate, Pineapple Extract, Coffee Extract, Carbomer 940, Essential Oil Fragrance Blend (Parfum), Trolamine, Vitamin E, Phenoxyethanol.
Now I don't know what all that stuff is but I know how soft and smooth my face feels after I put it on as an ASB.
While MWF makes my face feel that way, most soaps and creams don't and this does help out a lot.
That is the upside of it. The downside (aside it being a mediocre pre-shave) is the price. Costs $22 for a tube which is 115 grams of cream. So the price is up there with other high end products.
Another good thing about it is the scent. It has a citrusy smell to it and combines well with scent of Nomad SC.
I don't recommend it as a pre-shave but as an ASB. Definately worth the price there.
Packaging, it comes in a brown box. But the tube is aluminum which I like.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)