What's new

Beer Review: Wostyntje (Mustard Ale!)

Item Description

Beer: Wostyntje
Style: Torhouts Mustard Al

Label Info: "Wostyntje is a dark blonde ale brewed with 90% barley malt, 10% munich malt, 2 types of hops, dark candy sugar and mustard seeds." ... "Ale brewed with spices"

Brewery: De Regenbroog, Brugge, Belgium

===========================================================================

Glassware: Three Philosophers Chalice (A gift from my boy Ralph, btw!)

Pour: Pours light and bubbley. Light orange rusty color. Very small head which quickly disipates to a thin film, slight lacing. Obviously bottle conditioned. I left some sludge in the bottle.

Nose: Light spiciness, strong malt scents. If you know this is brewed with mustard you can find a HINT of mustard in the nose. If you didn't know that, you'd never pick it out, you have to be looking for it. *NOTE* The mustard
really REALLY opens up as it warms. I just took another sip after a couple minute break and the strong mustard scent was overhwelming and NOT in a bad way.

Taste: First thing that hits you is a little bit of spice. Followed by a general sweet fruit. Sugared Bananas jump out at me, just a faint hint of them but unmistakable. Definately a sugary sweetness, not sickeningly sweet
but more like a nice clean sugar sweetness. Between sips there's a definate bitterness, not like a hoppy bitter but more like after eating a green apple almost more of a mouthfeel than taste.Now crisp apple joins the hint of
banana. More malt.

Finish: More of that sour bitterness, like from a sour fruit. Red Apple peel.

Overall: Damn. How to score this stuff. It's pretty unique and that throws me off some, nothing to compare it to!

I'll say... 5 out of 6 Beer Mugs - This is a go out and grab it now rating, not threatening to break in to the "Classic Brew" area but pushing on the floor.

Latest reviews

Beer: Wostyntje
Style: Torhouts Mustard Al

Label Info: "Wostyntje is a dark blonde ale brewed with 90% barley malt, 10% munich malt, 2 types of hops, dark candy sugar and mustard seeds." ... "Ale brewed with spices"

Brewery: De Regenbroog, Brugge, Belgium

===========================================================================

Glassware: Three Philosophers Chalice (A gift from my boy Ralph, btw!)

Pour: Pours light and bubbley. Light orange rusty color. Very small head which quickly disipates to a thin film, slight lacing. Obviously bottle conditioned. I left some sludge in the bottle.

Nose: Light spiciness, strong malt scents. If you know this is brewed with mustard you can find a HINT of mustard in the nose. If you didn't know that, you'd never pick it out, you have to be looking for it. *NOTE* The mustard
really REALLY opens up as it warms. I just took another sip after a couple minute break and the strong mustard scent was overhwelming and NOT in a bad way.

Taste: First thing that hits you is a little bit of spice. Followed by a general sweet fruit. Sugared Bananas jump out at me, just a faint hint of them but unmistakable. Definately a sugary sweetness, not sickeningly sweet
but more like a nice clean sugar sweetness. Between sips there's a definate bitterness, not like a hoppy bitter but more like after eating a green apple almost more of a mouthfeel than taste.Now crisp apple joins the hint of
banana. More malt.

Finish: More of that sour bitterness, like from a sour fruit. Red Apple peel.

Overall: Damn. How to score this stuff. It's pretty unique and that throws me off some, nothing to compare it to!

I'll say... 5 out of 6 Beer Mugs - This is a go out and grab it now rating, not threatening to break in to the "Classic Brew" area but pushing on the floor.

Item information

Added by
Sean
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Consumables (Reviews)

• Glendrostan Blended Scotch Whisky
    A humble review of a scotch whisky that is blended from a recipe prior...
  • Silver Bayou Rum
    "Silver Bayou Rum is proofed with triple filtered fresh water...
  • [Shiraz]
    There are several different varieties of this from Rosemont Estate...
  • Choklat
    A chocolate stout that tastes like chocolate. A rich stout that tastes...
  • Blue Cap
    Brewed in Belgium by Trappist Monks. Bold, Full Bodied, Sweet, and...

More from Sean

Top Bottom