What's new

Astra Superior Platinum

Item Description

Price: $16/100 from Sabledog(get 'em while they're hot!)

Quality: Made by Proctor Gamble(Gillette) in Russia; probably the blade they should sell here but don't-along with the Swedes.

Sharpness: Sharp enough to get the job done w/o tearing up your face.

Longevity: Since this was my first shave with them, we'll have to see how they hold up.

Smoothness of Shave: This is where this blade really shines-after my shave was over, it felt like I had not been shaving! Now this could have been the result of the combo used(Gillette Aristocrat,HBS Sandalwood Vanilla,Savile Row 208), but it was the first time with this blade ever.

Packaging:An excellent job overall! The 100 pack comes in a nicely packaged box while the individual plastic cases hold 5 blades each-much like the Derbys. You can also place used blades in the plastic case. My only quibble was when taking them out of the paper wrapping-it seems some type of glue/goo was placed on the body of the blade to keep it from moving. If you rush to get it out, there is a chance for a mishap.

Now I know I should not have purchased a 100 initially w/o having shaved with them(RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!), but I had heard good things about them form gentlemen whose recommendations I could trust(and if they had not panned out,they would be in the BST forum quick!). Now I'm happy I took the plunge so I don't have to wait for them to come in! Try a 5 pack for yourself-you won't be sorry!

Marty

Latest reviews

Pros: Cheap
Smooth
Sharp but not too sharp
Cons: None
I love this blade as a daily option in any razor that I have tried. I can't comment on the lasting power because I am a daily head shaver and I only use a blade once regardless of type. This blade is my go to blade hands down. I think the blade imprinting is cool too and it somehow seems thinner and sleeker than other blades that I have used. The only thing I don't like is the two glue spots used on the wrapper, I would rather not have those. But overall a great option.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
This blade is somewhat forgiving with my setup. Sometimes I have to do a fifth pass around my jawline, chin, and mustache area with light pressure. Sometimes I lose the feel of the blade as I am gliding across my cheeks. I received two 10 pack packages as part of a sampler that I bought two years ago and shave at least 6 times per blade while alternating the blade side. There is a noticeable difference when I go to a new blade.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp, smooth and I can use them 7+ times
Cons: None
I started working through a sample pack and got to Astra SS and SP blades. The SP are a perfect match in my EJ89. I easily get 7 or more shaves per blade with very little to no irritation. I haven't used them in all my razors, but they are very good in EJ89 and an English Tech. $11/100 on Amazon so the price is right as well.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)