What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Beautiful patina on that one, I'd ask if you're going to leave it but I think I already know the answer. :001_cool:

Staying as is!

Very nice!!! :a14:

I didn't know the Military sets came in the leather cases.

1917 only as best I can tell. In 1918 the No.17 became a "Bulldog Combination Set" and the No.18 "Military Set" in Khaki appeared...

This is from "An Encyclopedia of Gillette Open Comb Razors (1903 - 1940):

The Bulldog was sold in several variations:

The Standard Bulldog Set:

A silver Bulldog razor, in a bull nosed grey antiqued leather case; with two matching, Type VIII, grey pressboard blade boxes. This was later to be replaced with a black leather bull nosed case, with two black pressboard, Type VII, blade boxes, which could be upgraded to matching silver or nickel plated Type X, "cigarette lighter" style blade boxes at an additional cost. This set was also offered as a gold set, with a gold Bulldog razor, with gold blade boxes.

The #17 Bulldog Combination Set:
A Bulldog razor, housed in a black leather case, with two matching metal soap and brush canisters, and two metal Type X, "cigarette lighter" style blade boxes, as well as a metal mirror. The Bulldog Combination Set was also offered as a gold version, the model #17G.

The #17 Officer's Shaving Set:
Offered from 1917 through 1919, another version of the combination set was listed as the Officer's Shaving Set. This set features a case made from seal skin, a choice of either a silver or nickel plated razor, with two matching metal soap and brush canisters, two black pressboard, Type VII, blade boxes, which could be upgraded to matching silver or nickel plated Type X, "cigarette lighter" style blade boxes at an additional cost, and what was advertised as "an indestructible mirror".

The #17 Military Set:
Also offered from 1917 through 1919, was the Military Set. This is the identical set as the Officer's Shaving Set, only it has been packaged in a khaki colored canvas covered case. (These two World War I sets are discussed further in Chapter VIII, The Gillette Military Sets of the First World War).

The #17 Nickel Case Military Set
Also offered from 1917 through 1918, was the very rare Nickel Cased Military Set. It contains a nickel plated Bulldog razor, with nickel plated case, that housed a mechanism that tips out a metal panel holding the razor and two blade boxes when the case is stood on its end. This set contains two matching nickel plated Type X, "cigarette lighter" style blade boxes. The #17 Nickel Case Military Set was the precursor of the "Bostonian Style" case that followed with the introduction of the New Improved line of razors.

Due to the fact that none of the many razor varieties that were produced between 1909 and 1921 had their own specific run of serial numbers, it is now impossible to give exact production figures for the Bulldog razors. (For production figures for the years of 1914 through 1921, please refer to the charts in Chapter V, "The Later Single Ring Razors"; and for those razors that were produced from 1921 through 1925, please refer to the charts in Chapter XI, The New Improved Gillette (1921 - 1929)

Cheers,
Kevin

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
This is from "An Encyclopedia of Gillette Open Comb Razors (1903 - 1940):

The Bulldog was sold in several variations:

The Standard Bulldog Set:

A silver Bulldog razor, in a bull nosed grey antiqued leather case; with two matching, Type VIII, grey pressboard blade boxes. This was later to be replaced with a black leather bull nosed case, with two black pressboard, Type VII, blade boxes, which could be upgraded to matching silver or nickel plated Type X, "cigarette lighter" style blade boxes at an additional cost. This set was also offered as a gold set, with a gold Bulldog razor, with gold blade boxes.

The #17 Bulldog Combination Set:
A Bulldog razor, housed in a black leather case, with two matching metal soap and brush canisters, and two metal Type X, "cigarette lighter" style blade boxes, as well as a metal mirror. The Bulldog Combination Set was also offered as a gold version, the model #17G.

The #17 Officer's Shaving Set:
Offered from 1917 through 1919, another version of the combination set was listed as the Officer's Shaving Set. This set features a case made from seal skin, a choice of either a silver or nickel plated razor, with two matching metal soap and brush canisters, two black pressboard, Type VII, blade boxes, which could be upgraded to matching silver or nickel plated Type X, "cigarette lighter" style blade boxes at an additional cost, and what was advertised as "an indestructible mirror".

The #17 Military Set:
Also offered from 1917 through 1919, was the Military Set. This is the identical set as the Officer's Shaving Set, only it has been packaged in a khaki colored canvas covered case. (These two World War I sets are discussed further in Chapter VIII, The Gillette Military Sets of the First World War).

The #17 Nickel Case Military Set
Also offered from 1917 through 1918, was the very rare Nickel Cased Military Set. It contains a nickel plated Bulldog razor, with nickel plated case, that housed a mechanism that tips out a metal panel holding the razor and two blade boxes when the case is stood on its end. This set contains two matching nickel plated Type X, "cigarette lighter" style blade boxes. The #17 Nickel Case Military Set was the precursor of the "Bostonian Style" case that followed with the introduction of the New Improved line of razors.

Due to the fact that none of the many razor varieties that were produced between 1909 and 1921 had their own specific run of serial numbers, it is now impossible to give exact production figures for the Bulldog razors. (For production figures for the years of 1914 through 1921, please refer to the charts in Chapter V, "The Later Single Ring Razors"; and for those razors that were produced from 1921 through 1925, please refer to the charts in Chapter XI, The New Improved Gillette (1921 - 1929)

Cheers,
Kevin

Great read! Thank you!

I BEAT THE SNPIER ON THE BAY!!! Thats why Im shouting. Finally out witted one. Dropped my best offer with only 2 seconds to go and I won. To my door £46 ($60). I think thats cheap for a British Aristocrat. I think its a number 22 pat pending 1949 model.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Good on you for beating the sniper. I got sniped this very morning for a razor that I wanted on the bay. Oh well, I was not meant to have it.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I BEAT THE SNPIER ON THE BAY!!! Thats why Im shouting. Finally out witted one. Dropped my best offer with only 2 seconds to go and I won. To my door £46 ($60). I think thats cheap for a British Aristocrat. I think its a number 22 pat pending 1949 model.

Most excellent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Placing your bid in the last 2 seconds... You are the sniper [emoji6]
It is the most effective ways to get what you want at the lowest price.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Placing your bid in the last 2 seconds... You are the sniper [emoji6]
It is the most effective ways to get what you want at the lowest price.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
bought a new phone thats super quick and as soon as I hit bid it was in and done. Went from bid to winner with nothing in between.

Im stuck now as my what appears to be NOS valet razor has just arrived and its superb for its age. So many razor to choose from.

My very first Leresche razor arrived today! I believe it's a #51 Luxe set. My RAD has been bad lately but it landed me this for a decent price.
20180726_161545.jpg 20180726_161818.jpg 20180726_161919.jpg 20180726_161703.jpg

just remember, less is more.
Thanks for the advice, kind sir. I've done a couple old wallets and a ring box that wasn't too far gone. This case isn't that bad, really the only reason I may attempt it. I'll try and resuscitate an old Gillette case or two first just to gain some more experience.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thanks for the advice, kind sir. I've done a couple old wallets and a ring box that wasn't too far gone. This case isn't that bad, really the only reason I may attempt it. I'll try and resuscitate an old Gillette case or two first just to gain some more experience.
Awesome. Cant wait to see the after photos!

Top Bottom