What's new

First timer with a late 40s Gillette Super Speed... didn't bleed to death.

I think that's the way to go. Comparatively, I actually feel like my VDH is more aggressive than my SS. In that sense, the SS is a great razor to master technique with and continue to work on things like your blade angle and pressure.
My chin really took the brunt of the abuse first time out - lots of razor burn - need to work on the technique for sure - definitely helps to know I'm using a good weapon to figure it out with. Thanks!

Your razor is a fine one! No reason to try another, at least not anytime soon.

You might benefit from a better soap, and brush, and blades. And yes, a blade sampler is a fine idea.

Prediction: In six months you will be doing two and three pass shaves. And enjoying it.

For now, easy does it. No pressure. Let the razor do the work.

Your razor is a fine one! No reason to try another, at least not anytime soon.

You might benefit from a better soap, and brush, and blades. And yes, a blade sampler is a fine idea.

Prediction: In six months you will be doing two and three pass shaves. And enjoying it.

For now, easy does it. No pressure. Let the razor do the work.
Thanks! I ordered a blade sampler, so should have that soon - and I'll motor ahead with the Derbys in the meantime and work on the technique...

I think the other thing to remember is the reason why you started DE shaving to begin with. If it was like most of us, at least early on, it was for 2 main reasons. You experienced terrible, irritating shaves with carts, but if that wasn't frustrating enough, you were overpaying for them, too! So you decided to give DE shaving a try because it was more economical. Now that you're all in, you're hooked and on a quest to get better...so that you can enjoy shaving.

@Macfrommichigan made a good point when he mentioned better soap and blades. A sampler pack is a great way to try different blades and maybe find one that you really like as they are all a little different. Sampling soaps is a good approach too; both West Coast Shaving and Maggard's sell both curated and individual soap samples if you want to try different brands. In my personal opinion, you can't go wrong with anything that Stirling Soap puts out and you can buy 1oz sample pucks directly through their site. You may also find that you prefer hard soaps over soft, and vice versa. Whatever soap route you take, even if you stick with the Cremo, a brush is an absolute must.

I think the other thing to remember is the reason why you started DE shaving to begin with. If it was like most of us, at least early on, it was for 2 main reasons. You experienced terrible, irritating shaves with carts, but if that wasn't frustrating enough, you were overpaying for them, too! So you decided to give DE shaving a try because it was more economical. Now that you're all in, you're hooked and on a quest to get better...so that you can enjoy shaving.

@Macfrommichigan made a good point when he mentioned better soap and blades. A sampler pack is a great way to try different blades and maybe find one that you really like as they are all a little different. Sampling soaps is a good approach too; both West Coast Shaving and Maggard's sell both curated and individual soap samples if you want to try different brands. In my personal opinion, you can't go wrong with anything that Stirling Soap puts out and you can buy 1oz sample pucks directly through their site. You may also find that you prefer hard soaps over soft, and vice versa. Whatever soap route you take, even if you stick with the Cremo, a brush is an absolute must.
It's funny you said this, as last night I ordered a brush and a tin of Mitchell's Wool Fat soap - definitely going to stick with the razor and blade setup for a couple more shaves, then might try other blades with the same razor - have a blade sampler coming from West Coast Shaving... thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and am going to stick with it... yesterday's razor burn is almost completely gone already as well... Thanks!

Okay! Solid choice. Mitchell's is a wonderful soap. It can be a little tricky. Place it in a small bowl or dish or a coffee mug. Add a tablespoon of hot water. Then pour off water. Start with a damp brush. Swirl a few times. Add a little bit more water. Swirl. Repeat, adding a little more water. Swirl some more, then lather on.

What sort of brush did you order? Type and size?

Okay! Solid choice. Mitchell's is a wonderful soap. It can be a little tricky. Place it in a small bowl or dish or a coffee mug. Add a tablespoon of hot water. Then pour off water. Start with a damp brush. Swirl a few times. Add a little bit more water. Swirl. Repeat, adding a little more water. Swirl some more, then lather on.

What sort of brush did you order? Type and size?
I ordered a Kent INF1 Infinity Silvertex (2in x 2in x 4in) - will likely stick with synthetic brushes, so might be a challenge to find a really good one - seems like synthetic has some limitations... thanks for the tip on getting the soap to lather up - it does sound like Mitchell's is more stubborn than others, but I like that it's really good for sensitive skin...

The Kent is a fairly stiff synthetic. It will break in a bit with a week of use and splay a bit. No need to be gentle with that one.

Happy shaving!

Don't have a late 40s but a mid 50s SS. Cremo is not great in my SS. Or my Slim for that matter. I use Proraso red and green with the PS and AS. If you want a better blade than Derby use Nacets, Yellow 70Clock or green from Russia or Perma Sharp. I get great results with all of those as well as Astra SP and SS. I have Derbs too and they are fine but the aforementioned are better. Of course, you shaving mileage may vary. You will find a brand that works well for your facha. It's the thrill of the hunt that is the fun part of it all.

Don't have a late 40s but a mid 50s SS. Cremo is not great in my SS. Or my Slim for that matter. I use Proraso red and green with the PS and AS. If you want a better blade than Derby use Nacets, Yellow 70Clock or green from Russia or Perma Sharp. I get great results with all of those as well as Astra SP and SS. I have Derbs too and they are fine but the aforementioned are better. Of course, you shaving mileage may vary. You will find a brand that works well for your facha. It's the thrill of the hunt that is the fun part of it all.
Thanks! Definitely plan on trying other blades - the sampler I ordered should be here soon, and looking forward to using proper shaving soap instead of the Cremo...

Welcome aboard! In answer to your questions:

1. Was using Cremo a mistake, instead of a better shaving soap?

Long time since I tried Cremo, so I will defer to others.

2. Was the Super Speed a good choice? I have my eye on a Jagger DE89 and a RazoRock Mamba, and I do like the thought of a little more weight and a slightly longer handle...

The Super Speed is a good razor as is the DE89. I suggest sticking to one set up until your technique is solid.

3. Was the Derby Extra a good blade choice and is it a good setup with the Super Speed?

Some like them, but Derbys are not my personal favorites. They are not the sharpest or the smoothest IME. You might consider ordering a blade sampler pack (or two) to see what works best for you.

4. Did I try to take off too much beard?

I have been clean shaven for decades so really cannot comment other than to say, "What's done is done.!

5. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on products, techniques -- anything you think would help.

My best advice would be to read through the Wiki which has a ton of useful information.

Welcome aboard! In answer to your questions:

1. Was using Cremo a mistake, instead of a better shaving soap?

Long time since I tried Cremo, so I will defer to others.

2. Was the Super Speed a good choice? I have my eye on a Jagger DE89 and a RazoRock Mamba, and I do like the thought of a little more weight and a slightly longer handle...

The Super Speed is a good razor as is the DE89. I suggest sticking to one set up until your technique is solid.

3. Was the Derby Extra a good blade choice and is it a good setup with the Super Speed?

Some like them, but Derbys are not my personal favorites. They are not the sharpest or the smoothest IME. You might consider ordering a blade sampler pack (or two) to see what works best for you.

4. Did I try to take off too much beard?

I have been clean shaven for decades so really cannot comment other than to say, "What's done is done.!

5. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on products, techniques -- anything you think would help.

My best advice would be to read through the Wiki which has a ton of useful information.
Thanks! Going to try other blades for sure, with the same razor, at least until I'm comfortable with my technique. Appreciate the advice!

As mentioned earlier in regards to pressure, you may need to lighten up. I'm not sure how much you used, obviously, but my guess is that since you usually left a stubble beard and this was your first foray with a DE razor, you probably pushed into your skin, which can cause irritation, weepers, etc.
The first time I used a DE razor I was really afraid of slashing myself so I was REEEEALLY light on the touch. As it turns out, that's the best thing to do with DE shaving.

As mentioned earlier in regards to pressure, you may need to lighten up. I'm not sure how much you used, obviously, but my guess is that since you usually left a stubble beard and this was your first foray with a DE razor, you probably pushed into your skin, which can cause irritation, weepers, etc.
The first time I used a DE razor I was really afraid of slashing myself so I was REEEEALLY light on the touch. As it turns out, that's the best thing to do with DE shaving.
Yes, I agree - think I was okay on the sides of my face and sideburns area, but definitely had too much pressure on the chin area - thanks for the advice - pressure will be my main focus next shave...

Yes, I agree - think I was okay on the sides of my face and sideburns area, but definitely had too much pressure on the chin area - thanks for the advice - pressure will be my main focus next shave...

It makes sense, though, if you think about it. Your sideburns area and the sides of your face - basically anything from your ears into the corners of your mouth and down to your jawline - are straight shots. It's really easy to achieve the proper blade angle and pressure there because it's virtually flat and you don't have to manipulate the razor head all that much.

When you're in the areas above your upper lip, below your lower lip and into your chin, space is tight and you really need to concentrate on blade angle due to the contours. I actually still struggle at times with my chin because I don't always have the right combo of angle and pressure.

As far as brushes goes you can buy a decent Omega for 7 bucks that can do an excellent job. I bought one a month ago and love the way it works. No need to go insane with fancy schmantzy expensive ones. Should be soft enough to be comfortable and just firm enough to work on soaps and should not stink like the business end of a goat.

As far as brushes goes you can buy a decent Omega for 7 bucks that can do an excellent job. I bought one a month ago and love the way it works. No need to go insane with fancy schmantzy expensive ones. Should be soft enough to be comfortable and just firm enough to work on soaps and should not stink like the business end of a goat.

Perfect take on the brush! Ideally, it shouldn't stink like the business end of anything other than the soap you're lathering. Haha.

It makes sense, though, if you think about it. Your sideburns area and the sides of your face - basically anything from your ears into the corners of your mouth and down to your jawline - are straight shots. It's really easy to achieve the proper blade angle and pressure there because it's virtually flat and you don't have to manipulate the razor head all that much.

When you're in the areas above your upper lip, below your lower lip and into your chin, space is tight and you really need to concentrate on blade angle due to the contours. I actually still struggle at times with my chin because I don't always have the right combo of angle and pressure.
Yes - makes sense - need to be more aware of the trouble spots - and probably should have worn my glasses when I shaved! Hoping for a smoother shave once this burn is gone...

Good to know - thanks! Definitely going to use a brush and proper shaving soap going forward...

Top Bottom