cvargo's Shaving Journal

July 22st
Razor:Colonial General
Blade: Captain Titan Mild (6)
Soap/cream: Viking Old Norse
Brush: Whipped Dog Silvertip
Aftershave1: Thayer's Witch Hazel Lemon
Aftershave2: Fine American Blend

Well today's shave is in thanks to @cmh737 he sent me this sample a while back because I have a tub of the vegan formula and only get so so lathers. He sent me this one which is tallow and I must be honest the lather was about the same. The scent was much nicer but the lather is just not as good as others that I use. It was a tiny bit better than the vegan but not enough to warrant wanting a full tub of it.

So the actual shave was a BBS no issues what so ever and that was even with this blade on it's 6th shave. I've pushed these blades to 9+ shaves in the past but decided to bin this one so I could move on to a different razor tomorrow.

SOTD Pic:

IMG_20170721_212329-01.jpeg

In the battle of General v. Hawk Here are my thoughts:

Hawk: This thing is fool proof, even though the blade gap appears to be greater there is only one angle to shave with this thing, and the head determines that angle for you. This razor would be perfect for new shavers, or shavers with whiskers that aren't that thick and don't require different angles to achieve the desired BBS. The weight is very light, but balanced. The razor does feel cheaply made, but remember the price. All in all I do not regret this purchase.

General: This has a milder gap. Very balanced. Gives the shaver more ability to maneuver the head of the razor to achieve different angles to help gain the BBS easier. The build is very nice, and doesn't look cheap at all. While I wish it weighed more it is not a deal breaker. All you nee to do is look at the last few months of my journal to see I get shaves from this razor.

conclusion: Even though the General would technically be considered more mild. I feel that it requires a little bit more of an advanced shaver to master. Once mastered you will get better shaves than the Hawk. My winner is Colonial General.

Homefront:

Another busy day is lined up, we are going to a family reunion for Megan's family. So will be behind again on the journal cadre, my apologies. I plan to catch up this evening and tomorrow. I hope you all have a great day!

July 23rd
Razor:TImeless
Blade: Perma Sharp (1)
Soap/cream: Mystic Waters Sandalwood Rose
Brush: Stirling Boar
Aftershave1: Thayer's Witch Hazel Lemon
Aftershave2: 4711

This shave is in thanks to Chris @cmh737 who sent me the Mystic Waters sample. I am a fan of MW but for some reason today I couldn't get it to lather. So I added a small squirt of Nivea shave cream and that seemed to help immensely. The scent of the Sandalwood Rose was just okay to me, not a favorite rose scent for me.

The brush I started breaking in yesterday and it shed a LOT. It has stopped but there in the beginning it was quite a bit.

All in all I had a good shave so i'm happy.

SOTD pic:
IMG_20170722_210241-01.jpeg

Homefront:

Nothing crazy to report. We are heading into church here soon, and then hoping to have relaxing afternoon. We haven't had one in awhile, and it will be nice to just relax. Hope you all have a nice Sunday.

Nice succinct write up Chad...seems like the shedding of the Sterling Boar is a common theme. Now I know what to expect from it when it arrives!

I'm got my Stirling Boar Friday, I'll admit it she'd a few good bristles when I first test lathered it. I used it Saturday (broke protocol for the July project) and it didn't shed a lick ...boy is it a much nicer boar than I've ever used.

Catching up and excellent read. Do take care and hope you achieve the relaxing sunday you're hoping for.

Thanks. Lazy Sundays are the best

Great shave Chad. I've still only test lathered with the Stirling boar, but have noticed a fair amount of shedding as well.

Thanks Eric. It only lost one hair during the shave today. This is going to be an awesome brush.

Nice succinct write up Chad...seems like the shedding of the Sterling Boar is a common theme. Now I know what to expect from it when it arrives!

Thanks Josh. It's crammed with hair I think that's why. But I can tell it's going to be a winner.

I'm got my Stirling Boar Friday, I'll admit it she'd a few good bristles when I first test lathered it. I used it Saturday (broke protocol for the July project) and it didn't shed a lick ...boy is it a much nicer boar than I've ever used.

Thanks Chris. Mine has mellowed. I think this is going to be my favorite boar.

nice Shave Chad, by the looks of it I am a bit glad I did not pull the trigger on the Boar Brush.

Truly a disservice Dave. This brush is going to be special I think at this price. Plus I think the shedding is from how packed with hair it was. It has mellowed now

Catching up again Chad!

Great reads, reviews, pictures, and shaves.

Just looked at the Hawk and the General razors, since they use the "Feather" style blades, are the really worth the difference in blade cost vs DE's?

Truly a disservice Dave. This brush is going to be special I think at this price. Plus I think the shedding is from how packed with hair it was. It has mellowed now

Well I have quite a few boars and the semogues are so nice, plus I prefer badgers and Synths, so not a real loss

Catching up again Chad!

Great reads, reviews, pictures, and shaves.

Just looked at the Hawk and the General razors, since they use the "Feather" style blades, are the really worth the difference in blade cost vs DE's?

Thanks. The feather artist blades last me about 12 excellent shaves.

Well I have quite a few boars and the semogues are so nice, plus I prefer badgers and Synths, so not a real loss

This knot reminds me of the Semogue Owners Club knot

....I am a fan of MW but for some reason today I couldn't get it to lather....

I suspect the reason for that is the use of a boar brush, which means too much water too soon. MW is probably the finickiest soap I've ever used when it comes to water ratio timing. Too much water too soon will doom it to airy frustration. I cannot use any of my boar brushes, nor horse, nor badgers that lack backbone and density. I can use certain synths, but the 2-band badgers and the denser Simpson brushes are the ones that really work the best (for me) with MW soaps. And that's with adding a small amount of water, gradually, at a time. BTW, I've also discovered that MW sticks really work best for me with the water at my house.

I suspect the reason for that is the use of a boar brush, which means too much water too soon. MW is probably the finickiest soap I've ever used when it comes to water ratio timing. Too much water too soon will doom it to airy frustration. I cannot use any of my boar brushes, nor horse, nor badgers that lack backbone and density. I can use certain synths, but the 2-band badgers and the denser Simpson brushes are the ones that really work the best (for me) with MW soaps. And that's with adding a small amount of water, gradually, at a time. BTW, I've also discovered that MW sticks really work best for me with the water at my house.

Very interesting Chris. I went back and I don't think I have ever used a Badger with MW, and I have never had problems before. That must be the culprit.

Top Bottom