What's new

April 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Shave #3
- Still In -

• Mike's Natural - Orange, Cedarwood, Black Pepper - SOTM, GRUYERE
  • Semogue 830
  • Ralf Aust - 6/8
  • Muhle R89
  • Polsilver (2)
  • Stirling's Glacial Citron Splash
Absolutely wonderful result...

full

4-3 Wednesday 10am Still in.
Shave 49/366.
2 pass DFS

Razor: Overlander alu
Blade: Perma-sharp (3)
Soap: WTP Gold
Brush: RR Bruce
View attachment 1822983
Switching things up for a bit. Gonna use WTP and Arko! sticks.
Have gotten into a habit of not shaving for several days. The Missus even commented on my scruffy face. Need to be more diligent!
Jay
I like the bathroom reading LOL

2nd shave in 2 days!

Today's shave:
Razor: Gillette Adjustable Slim on "3". 2 pass + touch ups
Brush: Stirling Fan Knot Finest Badger
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2) - finally got the platinum weepers I know and love
Shaving Soap: Stirling Varen Sample Puck (2)
After Shave: Stirling Bay Rum Witch Hazel & Aloe - stings!

Day 3, 10% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Nivea Men Shaving Creme
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #3
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Used Nivea cream for a change. It was inexpensive, and makes a lavish amount of bowl lather quickly. I got a comfortable near-BBS.

In, and enjoying Vintage April, it forces me to get out of my rut and use some of my not Tech razors. For today’s Vintage April I was reminded that one of my favorite DE razors is my Gillette New LC. It came loaded with a Gillette New Blade (pictured below) that dates to the first year of production in the early 1930s (IIRC, too tired now to look it up). This is the razor that forced people to buy a new style Gillette blade without the three holes, at least until the other manufacturers caught up. I loaded it with my Feather (shave 506 today) and got a 9.8/10 shave!
IMG_2345.jpeg

Date04.04.2024
366 daily shaves
095/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Red TipDurable Sharp Titanium (4)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (77)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Easy and close shave with the gorgeous Red Tip and a 4th fabulous brush by my dad.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Still in

Morning shave - 4/4/24
Razor: Parker SoloEdge
Blade: Parker Premium Platinum (half) (3)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24
Aftershave: Clubman VIBR
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
Buttery smooth shave this morning. The blade is surprising me a bit, because it is holding up very well. My preconceived notions, based on what I read on reviews, was that it was not a great blade, but I have to say it is performing just fine for me. Plenty close shave without any issues.

Still here!

Razor: The Dork (Dorko razor)
Soap: B & M Cologne Russe (Sample)
Brush: Parker Boar (not pictured)
AS: Clubman Reserve Brandy Spice

This gets a little paragraph today because I didn't get such a great shave.

I call this razor the dork because it is a little quirky. It has nice scales, which I think is typical for Dorkos. The trademark is off center on the razor. Unsure if this is a manufacturing defect or if it is a result of restoration (I think it's the latter). During my first pass on the left side, it has a length such that, if I am not careful shaving in the hollow of my cheek, the end will bite the outermost edge of the hollow and leave a nice 1/4" slit cut in my cheek.

This razor has been on the struggle bus lately. During the change to DST, it was exceptionally bad this year. As a result, I was in a fog for the first 3-1/2 days after. I caught myself slacking on the strop, and I found this razor was one of the ones affected and dulled. I've since given it a couple of touch ups, but it hasn't been enough. Gonna have to break out the 8k rock to get this razor policed up. I am kind of shave testing the rest of them to see how they do after some touch ups. 100% so far with the exception of this one.

1712239335792.png

Top Bottom