What's new

2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek

For clarity, I did of course succumb to getting the matching brush... And I will probably get the badger knot that fits the handle... Zero willpower...

I'm sure you did. But these tempations are hard to get rid of... I hope you'll enjoy the brush and the knot(s). It REALLY is a looker...

Mostly Cloudy Wednesday Shave:
Gillette Tech pre-war model + Super Knurl handle
Feather (1)
Omega 11137 boar brush
PAA Ice Cube 2.0 pre-shave
Klar Seifen ginger & lotus root shaving soap
Dickinson's witch hazel
Speick aftershave splash

Clean, close shave; DFS+

Notes:
  • This soap is actually sold "für die Dame" (for ladies), but I'd consider the scent unisex (different and really nice, IMHO). Performance is fantastic, same as the other Klar shaving soaps.
klar-shave-3..png

Mission La Toja successful !

Great lather, slickness and improved protection received in today's shave.

Damp brush, a bit more rinsing before applying, a good face lather brush and some time with La Toja and results were terrific.

Razor : RazoRock Game Changer OC 84
Brush : RazoRock Beehive
Stick : La Toja
Blade : Willy's
A/S : Alum Bloc and Anherb ASC

BBS Confirm

IMG_20210127_191812.jpg

I shaved today with my sample of Nantahala Shaving Soap. I was concerned about the strong perfume, and I am happy to report that it fades dramatically when brought to a later. The soap lathers easily and provides a comfortable shave, but I don't see it as anything really special. Still, at $20.00 for 5.5oz it could be good as something to include in a rotation. The scent when lathered is pleasant and the soap leaves the face feeling smooth. I will gladly use the rest of my sample, but I will not be purchasing more.

Here is a link for the curious but don't purchase the soap until after the sabbatical: AON: Nantahala Shaving Soap – Murphy and McNeil

SOTD
SOTD.jpg

Stardate 121027.4
RAZOR: Karve CB brass SB-C plate
BLADE: Super-Max Blue Diamond (4)
BRUSH: Omega Jade (011842)
CREAM: Cella

The brush and cream are stellar performers so no surprises there. I had another great shave with the Karve/Super-Max combination today. Because of my last experience with the Karve SB-C, I had almost decided to go with the SB-B plate for the week. At the last minute I decided to give the C plate another chance and I'm glad I did. I had remembered my previous shaves with the C plate to be a bit uncomfortable, but that has not been the case so far this week. Maybe it's the blade, or the lather. It's also possible my technique has improved a little. It's a safe bet the razor hasn't changed so it must be one of the other variables. Whatever the case, I'm having some really great shaves. No cuts, nicks, weepers, or irritation. Crewman #13 still in...

Crewman #37 on duty. Begin of the fourth week, that means 7,67% of the never ending interstellar journey has been traveled.
Also the first weeks of anxiety have been replaced with void calm.

Shave #25 since we took off

Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Kai (4)
Shaving Cream: T & H Ultimate Comfort
Brush: Yaqi Aqua Two-band
AS: Clubman Tequila Tease

Old reliable Merkur workhorse did its job coupled with a Kai. They say the added exposure given by this Japanese blade raises the efficiency of a mild razor. Maybe a false myth, I don't sense any added efficiency. Still a good blade, not even close to Feather in sharpness but a lot smoother. CCS+ in two passes. Perfectly fine because tomorrow is another day and I want some stubble ready to be shaven in the morning... :letterk1:

Excellent lather as usual from the T&H cream. Also the Yaqi brush is terrific. Silky white tips with just the perfect amount of backbone. For $12 and change during Black Friday I couldn't get a best bargain.
I find the fizzy citrusy vibe of the Clubman marries well with the crisp lavender scent typical of the Ultimate Comfort cream.

Shaving has been a bit strange for me this year, alternating almost daily between EJ DE89 and Gillette Sensor, with 2 or 3 shaves with Gillette Fusion Proglide Power. The Proglide is not shaving as close as I have found in the past and with more irritation. The Sensor and DE89 shave about the same, DFS/BBS with little to no irritation. Over the years I have purchased a variety of new and vintage, very mild ( AS-D2 ) to aggressive (R41) razors with about 10 different blade brands from Feathers to Derby Extra and a variety of TOBS creams, Proraso, and others. I think I can get all the variety I will ever want with what I have. At least I hope so. Would really like to live outside the RAD rabbit hole. That is my motivation for joining this years sabbatical and so far it is working !!

SOTD (029/2021)
29-01-2021

>> Shave Roulette <<

20210129_102817.jpg

Preshave: frigid tap water
Brush: Thäter 4125/2 2-band Silvertip Badger Imperial Red 26 Fan Rounded
Soap: Barrister and Mann ~ Nordost
Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore AS.

JAHE - still in

Top Bottom