What's new

More Gibbs/Rex Ambassador knock offs and more....

While I was trying to find more information and reviews about the Flexi Adjustable, I came across some information from 2019 that another company named Heritage Shaving was attempting to make a budget clone of the Gibbs razor. I'm also going to show some other findings since I don't want to make a separate thread regarding similar knock offs.

They had some troubles which i'm going to get into shortly and i'm not sure if Heritage Shaving has abandoned the project or they simply need more time to sort out the issues with their prototypes or find someone trustworthy who can manufacture the razors for them.

Apparently, they've contacted Yaqi for this project, but it didn't ended well for them.
This is what Heritage Shaving said on Instagram regarding the delay of the release of their razor.

''Just wanted everyone to know where we stand with the Gibbs replica. I’ve debated saying anything but now I’m getting asked questions about our Gibbs project and I want to be as transparent as I can be with each of you.
So from what I can tell the MFG I commissioned to make ours apparently had them (Yaqi) make it.
But as of our last design sample when I said to them it was close but I needed one last fix. The adjuster dial is still not working correctly. So after that last request to make yet another change ....They ceased communication with me on it. Both companies did.
Although I did not own the patent to the razor nor do I currently...I never was going to stamp the Gibbs name to it. I was calling it the Heritage Adjustable Homage to Gibbs Replica using the same respect as I have with the other projects.
So as of now the Gibbs project is on hold and I will announce any other news when I have it.
I have another manufacturer that makes our Merit design and is NOT a shaving company. They are engineers with the equipment to make a quality Gibbs replica.
This is why we did not want to take preorders. I believe in giving the best quality product at the most reasonable price and we weren’t quite there yet with the quality.
However YAQI razor has decided to make a few subtle changes and place the design in the market. We wish them the best of luck with their version of it and we will continue to update you when we have more information
We have always operated with integrity and transparency so we will find the right MFG to continue to assist us in bringing this project to life.
Thanks for your continued patience and support.''

The Yaqi Gibbs clone can be found on Alibaba, but from what I can tell it looks like a slightly modified Ming Shi 2000S.
I don't know about you, but i'm not going to buy anything from Yaqi ever again, even if they start making CNC machined razors or whatever for just a few dollars.

While looking around Alibaba, I saw a Gillette Toggle, 30s OC Aristocrat, NEW and probably other clones as well.
I hope this wasn't posted before and people find it interesting and informative.

Yes it is an old story. There is some reviews of the Yaqi Gibbs on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely old news here.... Just goes to show what kind of character Yaqi has....NONE!! They have stepped onto the playing field right next to a select few that have ripped off other artisan designs in recent years or lied through their teeth to further their business and act like they did nothing wrong!! Its all good though as there are still plenty of good honest artisans out there worth spending money with... I have a personal list of vendors that if they were the only vendors left to purchase from I'd rather grow a beard than spend a dime with them!!

As to the Heritage Gibbs, last I'd heard was they have found a new Mfg and are tossing around the idea to do the razor in titanium instead to up the ante, although it has been kinda quiet for a while now...

Definitely old news here.... Just goes to show what kind of character Yaqi has....NONE!! They have stepped onto the playing field right next to a select few that have ripped off other artisan designs in recent years or lied through their teeth to further their business and act like they did nothing wrong!! Its all good though as there are still plenty of good honest artisans out there worth spending money with... I have a personal list of vendors that if they were the only vendors left to purchase from I'd rather grow a beard than spend a dime with them!!

As to the Heritage Gibbs, last I'd heard was they have found a new Mfg and are tossing around the idea to do the razor in titanium instead to up the ante, although it has been kinda quiet for a while now...

Now that we have the Pearl Flexi razor as more affordable option made out of brass and the more premium Rex Ambassador, I don't think the Heritage Gibbs is going to bring anything new, better or more affordable than those two, but who knows?

Now that we have the Pearl Flexi razor as more affordable option made out of brass and the more premium Rex Ambassador, I don't think the Heritage Gibbs is going to bring anything new, better or more affordable than those two, but who knows?
It doesn't matter what Heritage releases because it will be of better quality than what Yaqi ripped off from them and would certainly think that if they follow through with a Titanium Gibbs model he would set a new bar!! Have you actually seen the Yaqi rip off Gibbs? That thing looks cheaper than a Bali or Weishi razor!! As to Rex being a "premium" option compared to anything else, that is YMMV at its best... The reviews are all over the map on the Rex in both, quality and how it shaves. The only thing everyone can come close to agreeing on is the handle is knurled very well.

It doesn't matter what Heritage releases because it will be of better quality than what Yaqi ripped off from them and would certainly think that if they follow through with a Titanium Gibbs model he would set a new bar!! Have you actually seen the Yaqi rip off Gibbs? That thing looks cheaper than a Bali or Weishi razor!! As to Rex being a "premium" option compared to anything else, that is YMMV at its best... The reviews are all over the map on the Rex in both, quality and how it shaves. The only thing everyone can come close to agreeing on is the handle is knurled very well.

I was talking about the Indian made Pearl Flexi razor and the Rex. The Yaqi version is a total garbage and it's not even worth mentioning it. The thing is that both Rex and Flexi needed some time to perfect their razors. Afaik the currently manufactured Rex models rarely have any issues at all while the Flexi is going to be improved with the second batch or so they claim and they even said that those who got defective Flexi razors will receive either new parts, new razors or/and refund. Also, the guys from Heritage Razors claim that they want to create an affordable and quality razor. If the Rex goes for 250$ while being made out of stainless steel, I would imagine that a titanium version would at least cost around that price as well, which isn't very affordable. My predictions are that they will go though the same issues and troubles as Rex and Flexi did and God knows how long it would take them to fix them.

I’ve kept an eye on the Heritage website for several months, hoping to see some progress. I’d like an original Gibbs, but they’re hard to get and I don’t want to trim standard DE blades to fit. I’d love a Personna but they’re crazy hard to find and super pricey. I won’t ever buy a thing from Yagi as I won’t reward their dishonest business practices. I received a Rex Ambassador for my birthday this past fall and it’s been awesome. So, if the Gibbs replica never materializes, I’ll be ok.

I think the best option for a modern Gibbs would be the Personna mod. Keep it simple, put posts on the blade tray, drill into the cap and do a direct copy of the original. No need to get fancy. Keeps the costs down and you don’t have to reinvent anything. Modern razors like the RR Game Changer incorporate this well in an affordable package and of course, other brands have already been doing this for a very long time.

The Taiga appears to have universally excellent reviews. I just wish they didn’t change things up the way they did from the prototype when they moved away from the Gibbs aesthetics for the release. That prototype was beautiful. Aesthetics opinions aside, it appears to be the best modern build based off the Gibbs design.

A titanium Gibbs clone would be epic but overkill and likely expensive. Perhaps Razorock could add adjustability to their line. They can produce great razors at very affordable prices. Just my ramblings.

A titanium Gibbs clone would be epic but overkill and likely expensive. Perhaps Razorock could add adjustability to their line. They can produce great razors at very affordable prices. Just my ramblings.

I agree.

A modern take could be more affordable in an aluminum package as well, just like the Micrometric and some other Gibbs releases were. Doesn’t have to be stainless or even brass. The only change I’d make would be to make the handle aluminum also.

R

romsitsa

While looking around Alibaba, I saw a Gillette Toggle, 30s OC Aristocrat, NEW and probably other clones as well.
I hope this wasn't posted before and people find it interesting and informative.

Just a friendly warning, all ads with a picture of a vintage razor are false.
If you look at the product description of the "Toggle":
"Shavette Razor Made with High Quality Stainless Steel and Plastic."

Just a friendly warning, all ads with a picture of a vintage razor are false.
If you look at the product description of the "Toggle":
"Shavette Razor Made with High Quality Stainless Steel and Plastic."

I'm well aware that these razors are certified junks. I mean, they are selling the ''Toggle'' for 1-4$ depending on the quantity one buys and there's no way they can make a well made and quality copy for that price. I've contacted them and asked them for a few pictures to see ''golden'' razors in more details, but regardless i'm done buying Chinese razors especially if they are made by Yaqi. Unless a trustworthy brand is using a Chinese company to make their products by their high standards and the QC is perfect, I don't see myself buying anything related to shaving from China ever again.

So far i've tried the Ming Shi 2000S, Yaqi Mellone, Yaqi Katana (the head only) and the Maggards V3 head, which is also made in Chine. Although, some of the heads are better than others except the Katana head and the Ming Shi 2000S, both which in my opinion have a terrible blade support and I can feel the blade chatter and the shave itself (with the ''better ones'') isn't that great compared to more solid and better built products made by more respective companies. I don't care even if they start making cheap CNC machined heads for only a few dollars, their products are not refined as the originals they try to copy and not precise at all.

I think the best option for a modern Gibbs would be the Personna mod. Keep it simple, put posts on the blade tray, drill into the cap and do a direct copy of the original. No need to get fancy. Keeps the costs down and you don’t have to reinvent anything. Modern razors like the RR Game Changer incorporate this well in an affordable package and of course, other brands have already been doing this for a very long time.

The Taiga appears to have universally excellent reviews. I just wish they didn’t change things up the way they did from the prototype when they moved away from the Gibbs aesthetics for the release. That prototype was beautiful. Aesthetics opinions aside, it appears to be the best modern build based off the Gibbs design.

Yes wish it would be in stock again so I could buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom