What's new

Rockwell 6S alternative

I'm still searching for the 6S alternative. It's such an amazing shaver. I was hoping the Rocca R94 would replace it but alas 6S on plate 6 is just a better slightly shaver for me. Eyeballing the 3on6 now :shifty:

Thanks for the great replies all!

I'm now mainly looking at Karve's (future) offerings and Tatara razors. The main thing I'm searching for is a razor that firmly bends the blade to avoid any chatter, I suppose that is what makes the Rockwell 6S such a fantastic shaver?

I'm now mainly looking at Karve's (future) offerings and Tatara razors. The main thing I'm searching for is a razor that firmly bends the blade to avoid any chatter, I suppose that is what makes the Rockwell 6S such a fantastic shaver?
Actually, the Rockwell 6S head is among the least “rigid blade“ razor designs out there. While Karve makes a nice Razor with good blade rigidity, I would personally steer clear of that maker given extremely poor customer service and unreliable order fulfillment.

In my opinion, that is one key difference that separates it from the Merkur 34C, for example, which is otherwise a similar design. Another good feature imo is its weight and balance. And the 6 available (actually 3 reversible) base plates is a very big plus. I doubt the 6S would be anywhere near as popular if it only came with one, and I think it's no coincidence Karve and Razorock did something similar.

Actually, the Rockwell 6S head is among the least “rigid blade“ razor designs out there. While Karve makes a nice Razor with good blade rigidity, I would personally steer clear of that maker given extremely poor customer service and unreliable order fulfillment.

Would you happen to know what gives the Rockwell its unique shaving qualities?

I’m not sure what unique qualities you’re referring to. It’s a good-quality, “workaday” razor. I‘d say it delivers a decent, comfortable shave, but not really unique in any way that I’ve noticed.

You are really going to have to try it and decide for yourself. Even from this short thread, you can see the wide difference in results and opinions. Some put a high premium on more "blade rigidity" than the 6S has, usually achieved with a short clamping distance. I don't, in fact, I find too much blade rigidity is not a good thing. So even on just that one issue, there won't be a definitive consensus.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The main thing I'm searching for is a razor that firmly bends the blade to avoid any chatter

Chatter can be had with bent blades. I get it with a Maggards V3A head that bends the blade quite a bit. Stills gives a very close shave. Doubt it would give you anything desirable you’re not already getting from your Rockwell 6S. Likewise, the razors I use that do hold blades rigidly can easily produce nicks, weepers, and burn in people who aren’t careful (I’m not careful) and they can still chatter if not held against the skin with enough pressure.

Just using shorter strokes on each pass should get rid of most of the chatter. More hydration will, too, if that’s possible, but shorter strokes works better. Some folks ignore the chatter as the price paid for long, flowing passes.

@never-stop-learning suggested a Blackland Sabre. If you don’t mind carbon, you can find blades for it that are 0.012” thick instead of the standard 0.009” thick (compared to the 0.00375” to 0.0041” thickness of DE blades). If you get a Level 2 Sabre with a 0.012” thick blade to chatter, it will happen with every razor.

Timeless has great razors, the Aluminum is a bit too blade forward for me, but the Bronze, titanium, and Stainless work as well or better than the Rockwell 6S on my face...
I have the Titanium and though expensive, is feels amazing like the 6s. Both are smooth and efficient.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Some put a high premium on more "blade rigidity" than the 6S has, usually achieved with a short clamping distance. I don't, in fact, I find too much blade rigidity is not a good thing. So even on just that one issue, there won't be a definitive consensus.

I‘m one of those people! Even still, used an R89 clone last night (turns the blade into Flappy Bird) and the shave was awesome! Every fix has its own problems so we’re all shopping for the problems which bother us least.

Top Bottom