What's new

Rockwell 6S alternative

I've been exclusively using my Rockwell 6S ever since I bought it some 1,5-2 years ago. I currently own 3 of them; one regular, one black and one backup.. Shaving-wise, I don't think another razor will beat the Rockwell, I'm mostly getting BBS shaves and it never bites or irritates my skin.

I really thought my RAD was over, but roaming this forum, I see a lot of new razors that look like fine art. I'd like a razor that has some of the same characteristics that make me love the Rockwell:

- Shaves well at different angles
- Works well with most blades
- Tends not to bite or cause irritation

I'm not looking for a replacement of my Rockwells but I'd like a more unique-looking razor for special occasions that is as foolproof. I mainly use plate 4 (face) and plate 6 (head), something comparable to plate 4 would be great. Price can be 150+ USD but I prefer it to be readily available.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Depending on the plate you prefer with your 6S, you might light one of hate gamechangers. I am not sure if they possess the aesthetic qualities you seem interested in, but they can spice it up for you if you decided to try an open come variation, either their OC or JAWS. If i am not mistaken the .68 is more like a 3.5 or 4.5 on a 6S and the .84 is about 6.5 6S. I like these because the razor heads themselves are simple and pair nicely with a handle of your choosing. In full disclosure, i ditched the 6S for the game changers, just a personal preference. The 6S is a fine razor though, just didnt’ provide the range i was lookin for.

The stainless steel Occam's DE saftey razor with the closed comb scallop or the partial open comb plate would be a similar experience. Can be purchased from Classic Shave for les than $60.00 or so. I have nothing but good things to say though about my Rockwell 6S and 6C on either the three or four plate.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I have nothing but good things to say though about my Rockwell 6S and 6C on either the three or four plate.

Rockwell is exceptional razor. Hard to beat.

Timeless is good option but can cause irritation sometimes. Karve is a good option too but not so easy comfortable as Rockwell.

Rockwell is so good.

Hello benoni,

I asked myself the same question.
I tried the Rex which isnt the right, the Black beauty too.

At the moment I found a razor that fits perfectly. The same smoothness and little blade feel paired with same or better efficiency.
My Homelikeshaving Taiga shaves very similar to the Rockwell 6s. I have slight differences in optimal blades. The Rockwell likes ASP, and in the Rockwell i don't like red Personna.
In the Taiga its the opposite. As a bonus it has a open comb plate which i use most Times.

My Search for another razor similar to the Rockwell 6s has come to an end.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've been exclusively using my Rockwell 6S ever since I bought it some 1,5-2 years ago. I currently own 3 of them; one regular, one black and one backup.. Shaving-wise, I don't think another razor will beat the Rockwell, I'm mostly getting BBS shaves and it never bites or irritates my skin.

I really thought my RAD was over, but roaming this forum, I see a lot of new razors that look like fine art. I'd like a razor that has some of the same characteristics that make me love the Rockwell:

- Shaves well at different angles
- Works well with most blades
- Tends not to bite or cause irritation

I'm not looking for a replacement of my Rockwells but I'd like a more unique-looking razor for special occasions that is as foolproof. I mainly use plate 4 (face) and plate 6 (head), something comparable to plate 4 would be great. Price can be 150+ USD but I prefer it to be readily available.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

If you want something distinctive that will complement your 6S, get a Blackland Sabre Single Edge razor. Takes GEM blades which are thicker and stiffer than DE blades. Less blade chatter = smooth shaving.

Blackland sells two plates, Level 1 (mild) and Level 2 (medium). I like mild razors and am still able to use the Level 2 plate without issue or irritation.

The two SE razors I use the most, by far, are the Sabre and the GEM Featherweight Deluxe.

20200315_103622~2.jpg

20200105_111318~2.jpg

YMMV

Hello benoni,

I asked myself the same question.
I tried the Rex which isnt the right, the Black beauty too.

At the moment I found a razor that fits perfectly. The same smoothness and little blade feel paired with same or better efficiency.
My Homelikeshaving Taiga shaves very similar to the Rockwell 6s. I have slight differences in optimal blades. The Rockwell likes ASP, and in the Rockwell i don't like red Personna.
In the Taiga its the opposite. As a bonus it has a open comb plate which i use most Times.

My Search for another razor similar to the Rockwell 6s has come to an end.

Thanks for the awesome suggestion!

I just had a look at there website and while an adjustable razor (twist) is not really what I'm after, their more standard DE's look fantastic as well. Perhaps their 'START' razor would be a good option, will do some research.

Much appreciated!

I have the Rockwell and think it's a superb shaver. I got a Karve over a year ago, and it definitely replaced the Rockwell for me. Just as smooth, but more efficient. I cannot speak to head shaving and angles, but on the face, the Karve B sb plate is wonderful, C plate has just a whisper of blade exposure so it is more efficient but still smooth. I go back and forth on which plate I like better. So, I would recommend the B if you are only getting one. Oh, fwiw, my preferred 'setting' for the Rockwell 6s is 4 as well.

An ATT S2 slant open comb is at your approximate price point. It’s mild aggresive, 303 stainless steel, and an altogether great shave performance.

Once I got my RR GC84
I don't have a RR Game Changer, but I've read they make wonderful razors. 0.84 and the 0.68 are worth considering in addition to a Karve. I bet there are B&B posts comparing the Rockwell 6 to ____ razor once you have some decent suggestions. Good luck and happy shaving!

Following this thread!

I recently got the 6S and I completely share OP's opinion. It straight beats everything I've used so far - Karves, Game Changers, Blackland. I've tried Timeless Bronze OC 78 and it was just too harsh for me so I'm interested in .95 SB.

Currently I'm trying out Rocca R94 and looking at how the two of them compare.

Stop . . . STOP NOW . . . you are heading for a cliff in a speeding car with no brakes. Just jump now and save yourself.

Okay, now that you are careening off the precipice and heading straight for the rocks below, look for the following on the way down . . .

Karve Razor . . . despite all the bull**** delays and everything that comes with placing an order, the Karve is a superlative piece of kit.

Charcoal Goods . . . another bit of excellent craftsmanship, and some of the coolest "looks" you will find in handles. Multiple options for metals, too.

Limited myself to ones I have owned and used . . . not mentioning any vintage shavers, because that is really not my forte.

I will make one final suggestion. Instead of a new Safety Razor, why not consider a straight. They are easier to use than you might think and, if you are saving it for special occasion shaves, what better instrument?

Check out the Wolfman options! You can get a totally customized razor, ’bespoke’ to your specifications. :a29: :a29: :a29:

(The ‘good’ thing is that there is a long wait, so you have time to consider/reconsider your options!)

Thanks for the awesome suggestion!

I just had a look at there website and while an adjustable razor (twist) is not really what I'm after, their more standard DE's look fantastic as well. Perhaps their 'START' razor would be a good option, will do some research.

Much appreciated!
The HLS Start should fit well too as I have read in other forums. But i cannot say which Option would fit for you. I suggest to buy the full kit.
There is the baikal too, which ist similar to the Rockwell with flippable baseplates...

[QUOTE = "Sausage, post: 10628540, membre: 113684"]
Rockwell est un rasoir exceptionnel. Difficile à battre.

Intemporel est une bonne option mais peut parfois provoquer une irritation. Karve est également une bonne option, mais pas aussi confortable que Rockwell.

Rockwell est tellement bon.
[/CITATION]
exactement 👍

Top Bottom