What's new

Moving on from a Wilkinson Classic Premium razor

Hello guys,
For 3 weeks ive been using the Wilkinson Classic Premium pack to start DE shaving. I just recieved a new proraso soap and im about to recieve a new omega boar brush since WS products didnt really satisfy me. Should I also change my razor? Switching to a Muhle R89 would be a good idea or would it be too similar to my current razor meaning that i should look for something more agressive ? Thanks

Your technique is the biggest thing that is changing at this point in your shaving journey. So sticking with what you have for awhile longer is a reasonable option.

That said, the 89 series are excellent razors in the mild/moderate range. Another good option to consider in the Merkur 34C. The main thing is to have fun! :a14::a14:

Your technique is the biggest thing that is changing at this point in your shaving journey. So sticking with what you have for awhile longer is a reasonable option.

That said, the 89 series are excellent razors in the mild/moderate range. Another good option to consider in the Merkur 34C. The main thing is to have fun! :a14::a14:
Thanks! :001_rolle:001_rolle
I feel like changing my soap and brush is already the key, since lather is so important.

As the wilkinson is a little bit difficult to handle for beginners (ymmv) I would suggest to go for a Rockwell 6s if affordable or the Rockwell 6c of you are on Budget. The Rockwell is totally fool proof, offers six razors in one ang gives extraordinary smooth and close shaves.
For me it works much better than a Mühle 89 or Edwin Jagger de89.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

I second the Rockwell recommendation. It's great for beginners and seasoned pros. That razor will grow with you and will provide fantastic shaves.

Well im actually on a budget and Rockwell 6c doesnt seem easy to get in France. Don't you guys know any non modular razor Who works for beginner but is not too mild so it can be kept later?

True.
The WS Classic TTO is pretty good as a starter razor.
My only beef with it is the long handle that gives it a balance different from all my other razors.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well im actually on a budget and Rockwell 6c doesnt seem easy to get in France. Don't you guys know any non modular razor Who works for beginner but is not too mild so it can be kept later?
There is nothing wrong with a mild razor. Are vintage Gillette razors available? I love the Gillette Tech that I use, nearly every time I shave. It has an "H" and a "2" on the bottom of the bottom plate and was made in my year of birth, 1962, which makes it old, lol.

There's nothing wrong with the WS TTO, I still use mine. I actually prefer aggressive razors, but sometimes towards the end of the week when my face is at it's most tender, the WS always give a nice, smooth, mild shave.
I would definitely recommend sticking with the razor for now, 3 weeks is really quite a short period of time, and it is a good razor. Once you want to expand the collection, I would recommend getting something at least moderately aggressive so that you can switch back and forth between moderate/aggressive and mild depending on what you're feeling that day. After all, I doubt that you'll never use the WS again after getting a second razor, so might as well get something notably different from the one you've got for variety's sake.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
You might need to get the following: Gillette Old type, Gillette New, Gillette Tech, Gillette Super speed, Gillette Fatboy, Gillette Slim, Schick Krona, Merkur 34C, Merkur 34G and the list goes on. One of each would be fine.

You might need to get the following: Gillette Old type, Gillette New, Gillette Tech, Gillette Super speed, Gillette Fatboy, Gillette Slim, Schick Krona, Merkur 34C, Merkur 34G and the list goes on. One of each would be fine.
One of each :a16:

I'd say stick with the razor you have a while longer while you dial in lathering and shaving technique. There will be plenty of time to spend money/experiment with different products later.

I dont use a safety razor but keep intending to return. A local store has the Wilkinson Classic plus a pack of 5 Wilkinson blades for a total of £5 (about $6), this sounds like a bargain to me.

Would anyone recommend this razor for someone who has had years of easy, cut free use from his Gillette Mach 3?

Sorry about the anotation, the pic was lifted from the Wilkinson website.

classic_icons.png

Last edited:
I dont use these a safety razor but keep intending to return. A local store has the Wilkinson Classic plus a pack of 5 Wilkinson blades for £5 (about $6), this sounds like a bargain to me.

Would anyone recommend this razor for someone who has had years of easy, cut free use from his Gillette Mach 3?

View attachment 1015907

Yes, it's an excellent razor. Not aggressive but also not too mild. Same goes for the blades, and they do pair well.

I dont use these a safety razor but keep intending to return. A local store has the Wilkinson Classic plus a pack of 5 Wilkinson blades for £5 (about $6), this sounds like a bargain to me.

View attachment 1015907
My introduction to DE shaving (I wanted to be sure I could replicate the shave I'd get with my Sensor before committing, so I started cheap), and ten more razors later still my daily driver.

I dont use a safety razor but keep intending to return. A local store has the Wilkinson Classic plus a pack of 5 Wilkinson blades for a total of £5 (about $6), this sounds like a bargain to me.

View attachment 1015907

It's definitely a nice razor for the price (though the price is better here in Germany at 2.95€ for the pack), but depends on what you're looking for. I have a bad habit of always only accepting BBS, and this razor is quite mild for my coarse hair, so I end up going over some areas a few too many times with it to get to BBS. That being said, it still is worth the money for sure, and would be fantastic if, unlike me, your hair is not like braided wire and/or you don't feel obsessively compelled to get BBS.

It's definitely a nice razor for the price (though the price is better here in Germany at 2.95€ for the pack), but depends on what you're looking for. I have a bad habit of always only accepting BBS, and this razor is quite mild for my coarse hair, so I end up going over some areas a few too many times with it to get to BBS. That being said, it still is worth the money for sure, and would be fantastic if, unlike me, your hair is not like braided wire and/or you don't feel obsessively compelled to get BBS.

Thank you. 3 euros sounds like a real bargain for a razor and 5 blades, it shows the relative strength of the pound to the euro.

My beard isnt so coarse, I think I will be okay. I am old enough to remember when cassette blades had not been invented and I had a choice between a DE or an electric razor, the former cut me to ribbons due to my poor technique and electric razors left hair on my throat. I have taken lessons for the youtubers on how to use a safety so I hope to be ok, if its a mess I will offer the razor and four blades as a Pay it Forwards.

I used the Wilkinson Sword classic for a month as my first DE razor....I'd had only used an electric razor previously. I never got a single cut and only 2 weepers in that entire month of first time shaving and that was also with experimenting with different blades.

I since was PIF'ed a couple of vintage Gillette's and so I PIF'ed the Wilkinson Sword Classic to my son who tried it as his first DE razor...(once again not a single cut for him)....otherwise I would still be using it.

Thank you. 3 euros sounds like a real bargain for a razor and 5 blades, it shows the relative strength of the pound to the euro.

My beard isnt so coarse, I think I will be okay. I am old enough to remember when cassette blades had not been invented and I had a choice between a DE or an electric razor, the former cut me to ribbons due to my poor technique and electric razors left hair on my throat. I have taken lessons for the youtubers on how to use a safety so I hope to be ok, if its a mess I will offer the razor and four blades as a Pay it Forwards.

Good plan. Basically all you have to keep in mind is to use 0 pressure even though it's a light, mild razor. It'll do the job without using any pressure, and then you'll be irritation free.
Ironically, I used to use an electric, but I always was left with stubble on my neck AND got really bad irritation. Since I was something like 16 or 17 at the time though, I just accepted it as a fact of shaving. Since then I've learned better, and never again will I suffer through an electric razor, which just don't work for my skin. xD

Top Bottom