What's new

Post Hipster?

What I have noticed lately is the trend for the over 50 women is multi colored hair. Several have hair that is blue with purple highlights. The popularity of tattoos came in around the 80s in my area and it seemed that many men and women in their late 30s started getting them. Fast forward and that Hair Band tat is bit irrelevant. I saw proof of that the other day when woman in her late 60s had a Skid Row tat. There is a local carryout in my area that I sometimes stop in. There is a clerk that is a huge Alice Cooper fan and his entire arms and chest (he wears a tank top in warm weather) are a homage to Alice Cooper. I asked him how many times he had seen Alice and he said he had lost count. I have a neighbor that has KORN tatted on his knuckles, I guess the more things change the more they stay the same.

There dose seem to be an increase in 20 somethings dressed in a 1940's or 50's style, clean shaven, short back and sides hair cut, brylcream etc, around my way. The British style not the US style and the women look great. I kinda like it myself.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I remember when the whole Rockabilly/swing revival was a thing back in the 90's. Greased hair, pocket chains, duck tails, etc. Brian Setzer, Los Lobos, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, The movie Swingers.

I'm not sure what a Hipster is. Someone who's overly trendy? Ironic?

What's next? Who knows, never think about it...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I remember when the whole Rockabilly/swing revival was a thing back in the 90's. Greased hair, pocket chains, duck tails, etc. Brian Setzer, Los Lobos, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, The movie Swingers.

What's next? Who knows, never think about it...
Love Brian Setzer, but then I think the Gretsch was the best sounding guitar ever made.

Hipsters: I think of bushy beards, hair close cut on sides with man buns, tee shirts for bands I have never heard of or if I have bands I recognize as very obscure, craft beer and PBR, dive bars, fixed gear bicycles, artisan furniture, food, and whatever, pickled foods, vinyl records, tube electronics. Aggressive nerdiness in general. Expertise in the oddball. Things that become instantly uncool if they become popular with the general population. A lot to like and dislike, really.

Meh.

Each half generation tries to strike out and be different from the half that game before, and from their parents generation. It’s cyclical, and we all go through it. These hipsters will grow into new phases before very long In the grand scheme.

Punk, Goth, grunge, and emo were each in turn the new “what are kids thinking these days” fads, each of which have largely disappeared. So hippie, yuppie, and hipster have slightly better staying power, big deal, it’s still just a phase. These are good folk for the most part, just trying to figure out how they are different from we who came before, while staying safely within the confines of being similar to their peers. If anything I feel a slight sympathy for the fear that keeps them from really standing out.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
What is next?
5d91841dfe6c0ee1403a1755d5fed69c_original.png

Got to know who we are going to be kicking off of our lawns I figure. Dirty, rat, hippie hipsters...

Are there suburban hipsters, i always thought urban core denizens. They want to be seen, be where things are happening, when do you see anyone out and about in the suburbs except to shovel the snow and cut the lawn?
dave

You have to follow your own heart. I remember my senior prom in high school. I was one of two people to eschew the habit of the pastel colored tux in favor of a classic black cutaway with tails and white tie. My wife wore the same dress she wore to junior prom (with me as well) instead of buying something brand new.

Hipsters are wedded to thrift shops. Reckon that is a consequence of entering the workforce, sorta, during the recession + student loans.

Thinking 'bout post-hipster, gotta be populated by young folks who never made a decision without texting Mom. Not sure how that will play out. (Bad news for makers of motorcycles, fer sure.)

Top Bottom