What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Ventured a little farther from home today. Rescued this from a dusty display case.

proxy.php

proxy.php
Excellent Milord!
1904 "Patent Applied For"
proxy.php
Dang, That's sweet! Missed it by that much! Enjoy.
Just recieved this Lather catcher, A 1900 pat and 1901 pat and is in need of some tender loving care. The razor is over a 100yrs old and in rough shape and I'm going to attempt to bring it back to a safe shaving life. One of the blade keepers is gone and the other is very fragile from wear. If repair is successful I will have a possible sequence thread of procedure that I used and maybe some one else might some other methods of repair! I did not pay a lot for it($20.00) and the pictures from the seller were not the best and took a chance!
View attachment 967840
View attachment 967841
Have some great shaves!

Good luck, Ron!

KeenDogg

Let the heavy hitting continue!

Went out on a drive, found these about 30 minutes from home.

Cased 195 adjustable, looking fresh as a daisy. No plate loss, smooth action, straight and true. Numbers are crisp and full. Date code F2. Typical broken hinge, but I'm not complaining!
20190330_122051.jpg
20190330_122104.jpg
20190330_122126.jpg
20190330_122147.jpg

Also, a cased Gillette Diplomat. Still has the laquer on it! Smooth tto action, doubt it was ever used. Case is in fantastic shape as well, with only minor dings. Date code A1
20190330_112557.jpg
20190330_112453.jpg
20190330_112515.jpg
20190330_112536.jpg

Wild finds are the best!!!!! Thanks for letting me share.

Attachments

• 20190330_112453.jpg
    20190330_112453.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Cased 195 adjustable, looking fresh as a daisy. No plate loss, smooth action, straight and true. Numbers are crisp and full. Date code F2. Typical broken hinge, but I'm not complaining! View attachment 967908 View attachment 967909 View attachment 967910 View attachment 967911
Also, a cased Gillette Diplomat. Still has the laquer on it! Smooth tto action, doubt it was ever used. Case is in fantastic shape as well, with only minor dings. Date code A1
View attachment 967920 View attachment 967921 View attachment 967922 View attachment 967923

Well done Adam!!! - Great catches - none of these to be had around here :a14:

Well, went out to some new stores today and scored, what I consider, big.

72 Super adjustable 84mm handle...it was too cheap to leave it there. A weird 1940's contract handle tech, but the head is gold plated, not sure they came with those or not...matches the gold head off a plastic handle tech from '38...again, way to inexpensive to leave there. Last razor is the one I've been looking for, a '46/47 US Aristocrat. All in pretty good shape. This picture below is as found, pre cleaning.

The real scores outside those three razors were the other items. An old fuller brush, it has a cool solid handle, so bought it to restore it. An Old Spice shave mug, I love these things, so I can't pass them up. I don't have this one yet, its the first one from 1948 onward. Pretty faded graphic, but whatever. Also, a gem case...but that's a whatever purchase...I bought it for a travel case.

Old spice 1973 Ship's Bell decanter from Canadian market, empty. I'll fill it up :) Its pretty cool, has an embossed ship on the glass, and its "plated" in gold, or whatever its called when you cover glass with gold/fake gold.

And the two big scores...unopened, still sealed in their respective packages....
A 1975 Bicentenial George Washington bottle, still sealed, full of OS deluxe cologne.
and
A 1974 to 76 Scrimshaw Whale Tooth (fake, obviously), still sealed, full of OS deluxe cologne.

I have no idea if I'm going to open those or not...I've not had to make a decision like that on vintage aftershave and cologne before. Gonna wait a bit to decide.

Here's the pic. Pre-cleaning, so its all dirty.
IMG_20190330_164341.jpg

Cased 195 adjustable, looking fresh as a daisy. No plate loss, smooth action, straight and true. Numbers are crisp and full. Date code F2. Typical broken hinge, but I'm not complaining! View attachment 967908 View attachment 967909 View attachment 967910 View attachment 967911
View attachment 967920 View attachment 967921 View attachment 967922 View attachment 967923

Very impressive. Congratulations on a very impressive couple scores! Excellent razors in such pristine condition.

KeenDogg, dang those are gorgeous finds! Well done! The only "fat boy" I saw today, was a fatboy case with a fat handle tech in it....labeled naturally as a fatboy in case, for $85. I passed :)

Well @jmudrick provided the image of the old ad -- from the early 1920s (was it actually 1920?).
full

And here's a recent acquisition of the actual set.
full

So well maintained. We should all age as gracefully.
full

full

That diplomat is pristine.

KeenDogg

Well, went out to some new stores today and scored, what I consider, big.

72 Super adjustable 84mm handle...it was too cheap to leave it there. A weird 1940's contract handle tech, but the head is gold plated, not sure they came with those or not...matches the gold head off a plastic handle tech from '38...again, way to inexpensive to leave there. Last razor is the one I've been looking for, a '46/47 US Aristocrat. All in pretty good shape. This picture below is as found, pre cleaning.

The real scores outside those three razors were the other items. An old fuller brush, it has a cool solid handle, so bought it to restore it. An Old Spice shave mug, I love these things, so I can't pass them up. I don't have this one yet, its the first one from 1948 onward. Pretty faded graphic, but whatever. Also, a gem case...but that's a whatever purchase...I bought it for a travel case.

Old spice 1973 Ship's Bell decanter from Canadian market, empty. I'll fill it up :) Its pretty cool, has an embossed ship on the glass, and its "plated" in gold, or whatever its called when you cover glass with gold/fake gold.

And the two big scores...unopened, still sealed in their respective packages....
A 1975 Bicentenial George Washington bottle, still sealed, full of OS deluxe cologne.
and
A 1974 to 76 Scrimshaw Whale Tooth (fake, obviously), still sealed, full of OS deluxe cologne.

I have no idea if I'm going to open those or not...I've not had to make a decision like that on vintage aftershave and cologne before. Gonna wait a bit to decide.

Here's the pic. Pre-cleaning, so its all dirty.
View attachment 967954
I think you did awesome. The vintage OS, although I'm sensitive to it, I have a bottle because it was the AS my dad used when I was a kid. And the short SA is harder to find. Let's not mention that sweet Aristocrat!!!
Very impressive. Congratulations on a very impressive couple scores! Excellent razors in such pristine condition.
Thanks, Jake. I'm pretty happy about it. Now, I'll just wait for the right blade dispenser to come along!
KeenDogg, dang those are gorgeous finds! Well done! The only "fat boy" I saw today, was a fatboy case with a fat handle tech in it....labeled naturally as a fatboy in case, for $85. I passed :)
That's a good pass!
Well @jmudrick provided the image of the old ad -- from the early 1920s (was it actually 1920?).
full

And here's a recent acquisition of the actual set.
full

So well maintained. We should all age as gracefully.
full

full
That is a beauty, for sure. Love the case as much as the razor, or more!
That diplomat is pristine.
Thanks, Dalejr. It is definitely a ten!
Very nice slim!

1904 "Patent Applied For"
proxy.php

Just WOW on both of these, but everyone posting over the weekend had totally awesome scores.

Congrats everyone!!

Ok ok - so I know that I already posted this 1938 Gillette Popular #47 set a week ago when I acquired it, with seller pics. But today I got it in hand and I simply think that the world deserves another peek at this, this is the best condition vintage razor I ever saw.

Wow for the craftsmanship that went into this. And honestly this specimen cannot have been used more than a very few times during the 81 years since then. The 2nd pic btw is not a dent showing in the case lid, it is simply the razor’s reflection :001_tt1:

FDDBA534-78BB-4298-A77A-320F3DEABDD2.jpeg
F9120919-1945-4481-9EBF-42AF7885411E.jpeg
2863F39C-90A2-474C-A49B-3360161CB3E3.jpeg

Top Bottom