What's new

No guard DE?

This thread deserves another bump. Wondering how these devettes compare to the most aggressive razors in terms of performance, comfort, etc. My Futur has a broken stop so I can unwind it until the plates come apart. I've shaved with a huge gap with no difficulty, which is probably a similar experience to the devette, but it wasn't that satisfying. Have been enjoying the Ikon Tech a lot more. Wondering what others have experienced.

Either way, have got to cut down a razor and give this a whirl. Just found the perfect old junky Tech in my garage. Will clean it up and grind down the base plate when I have time.

Last edited:
Wondering how these devettes compare to the most aggressive razors in terms of performance, comfort, etc.
I don't think there's any comparison. As soon as you remove the guards it stops being a "safety" razor.

If you're a cap rider it won't make any difference at all. If you're a guard rider it'll definitely sharpen up your technique, or send you to the ER. :laugh:

This thread deserves another bump. Wondering how these devettes compare to the most aggressive razors in terms of performance, comfort, etc. My Futur has a broken stop so I can unwind it until the plates come apart. I've shaved with a huge gap with no difficulty, which is probably a similar experience to the devette, but it wasn't that satisfying. Have been enjoying the Ikon Tech a lot more. Wondering what others have experienced.

Either way, have got to cut down a razor and give this a whirl. Just found the perfect old junky Tech in my garage. Will clean it up and grind down the base plate when I have time.

I had a pretty good experience with the BB-X devette. I made my own devette from an Old Type but am not real happy with it. I don' t think it holds the blade firmly enough and is very jumpy.
I love my Ikon Tech. It's pretty much all I use, other than experimenting every once in awhile. I don't know why I still try other razors really... :)
Good luck!

I had a pretty good experience with the BB-X devette. I made my own devette from an Old Type but am not real happy with it. I don' t think it holds the blade firmly enough and is very jumpy.
I love my Ikon Tech. It's pretty much all I use, other than experimenting every once in awhile. I don't know why I still try other razors really... :)
Good luck!
What is it about the Tech that you prefer to the BB-X? I'm debating whether to invest $60 bucks in one.

I don't think there's any comparison. As soon as you remove the guards it stops being a "safety" razor.

If you're a cap rider it won't make any difference at all. If you're a guard rider it'll definitely sharpen up your technique, or send you to the ER. :laugh:
Guess I'm a cap rider. Now it makes sense why shaving with the Futur when I opened a huge gap by turning it third time around to 6 (the stop's broken) was pretty much the same as shaving with it on a normal six. So thank you. Also makes sense why I'm at ease with really aggressive razors. It's long felt to me like no razor is aggressive if one just adjusts the angle of the blade and that's as simple as moving your wrist a mm this way or that way.

Obviously I'm not the only one who feels this way. This thread makes clear that lots of guys are at ease with the most aggressive of razors.

@Parallax It’s great to see this thread revived and it will be good to hear how you get on with the devette.

Devettes have taught me a whole lot about razor geometry and good technique.
In practice I can get a closer longer lasting shave with the 2011 R41 because the guard on it stretches the skin automatically.

I found with the devette that I got best results when I manually skin stretched like with a straight.
In any case it’s an experience not to be missed!

@Parallax It’s great to see this thread revived and it will be good to hear how you get on with the devette.

Devettes have taught me a whole lot about razor geometry and good technique.
In practice I can get a closer longer lasting shave with the 2011 R41 because the guard on it stretches the skin automatically.

I found with the devette that I got best results when I manually skin stretched like with a straight.
In any case it’s an experience not to be missed!
Thanks MJ. I see you've been one of the movers in this thread all the way back to its inception. Have not read all 47 pages but was up late reading the first 10 or so.

What is it about the Tech that you prefer to the BB-X? I'm debating whether to invest $60 bucks in one.

It's been awhile, but I recall the BBX was a bit chattery with all but the sharpest blades. Probably due to lack of blade support, which could also be the case with my Old Type devette?
It was also a bit inconvenient, as I could not use my preferred razor stand since it hangs the razor by the guard.
If you are interested, my modified Old Type is looking for a home - I'd be happy to send it your way.
Pics No guard DE?

BBX:
BBX_Devette.JPG

Last edited:
It's been awhile, but I recall the BBX was a bit chattery with all but the sharpest blades. Probably due to lack of blade support, which could also be the case with my Old Type devette?
It was also a bit inconvenient, as I could not use my preferred razor stand since it hangs the razor by the guard.
If you are interested, my modified Old Type is looking for a home - I'd be happy to send it your way.
Pics No guard DE?

BBX:
View attachment 922016
That BBX is pretty. Saw some comments about it not screwing down well.

You did a beautiful job with that Old Type. What would you want for it?

Bit late but,+1 On the revival of this thread. Looking forward to your review of the Old Type. I still use my MTO Devette regularly for touch ups after a shavette shave. Pure BBS bliss. I agree that the Devette is best used with a steep angle. Be careful and you will be rewarded. Enjoy your shaves.
proxy.php

Bit late but,+1 On the revival of this thread. Looking forward to your review of the Old Type. I still use my MTO Devette regularly for touch ups after a shavette shave. Pure BBS bliss. I agree that the Devette is best used with a steep angle. Be careful and you will be rewarded. Enjoy your shaves.
proxy.php
Hey thanks. The review was written up in another thread. Either "This Beautiful Thing" or the one prior, which began as a question I'd posted around finding an aggressive razor. Bottom line is I found it really hard (and borderline insane) to shave with that thing. Cut myself up pretty good, which is something that almost never happens when I use even the most aggressive of razors with a blade guard. Even when I set my Futur to 18 (6 three times around), emerged unscathed and in no apparent danger.

Without a blade guard, one essentially has to shave as if using a straight. In other words, skin stretching becomes essential. Didn't realize it until after I put a gash in one of my age lines. Though it's not that challenging to skin stretch, it's not something that can be easily done in the shower (which is where I shave) and it's one of the few applications that I'd admit benefits substantially from an application of shaving cream (which I don't use anymore). So not something I'd care to try again. Would be happy to return the razor to @Jaidmaster or, with his permission, PIF it forward.

Without a blade guard, one essentially has to shave as if using a straight. In other words, skin stretching becomes essential.
When using a DE razor I hardly ever skin stretch, and the same applies with my "no guard," always used STEEP.

That's probably the reason I call it "The Coach." :laugh:

Hey thanks. The review was written up in another thread. Either "This Beautiful Thing" or the one prior, which began as a question I'd posted around finding an aggressive razor. Bottom line is I found it really hard (and borderline insane) to shave with that thing. Cut myself up pretty good, which is something that almost never happens when I use even the most aggressive of razors with a blade guard. Even when I set my Futur to 18 (6 three times around), emerged unscathed and in no apparent danger.

Without a blade guard, one essentially has to shave as if using a straight. In other words, skin stretching becomes essential. Didn't realize it until after I put a gash in one of my age lines. Though it's not that challenging to skin stretch, it's not something that can be easily done in the shower (which is where I shave) and it's one of the few applications that I'd admit benefits substantially from an application of shaving cream (which I don't use anymore). So not something I'd care to try again. Would be happy to return the razor to @Jaidmaster or, with his permission, PIF it forward.
Sorry it didn't work out for you, Parallax. It can be challenging, as there is quite a bit of blade flex also. As mentioned, I found a shim to help a bit.
Yes, please feel free to PIF it when the opportunity arises. :thumbup1:

Sorry it didn't work out for you, Parallax. It can be challenging, as there is quite a bit of blade flex also. As mentioned, I found a shim to help a bit.
Yes, please feel free to PIF it when the opportunity arises. :thumbup1:
You're right. That's what it was; blade flex. Big time.

Didn't have any spare base plates to cut up for a try but I did have a mild guard plate for a Supply Provisions injector that I don't use. I cut it off with a Dremel and gave it a go... with and across the grain wasn't uncomfortable but against the grain will require some practice. No chatter due to the two blade holding side pieces but the angle of the blade needs some dialing in;) PIC_0376.JPG

Didn't have any spare base plates to cut up for a try but I did have a mild guard plate for a Supply Provisions injector that I don't use. I cut it off with a Dremel and gave it a go... with and across the grain wasn't uncomfortable but against the grain will require some practice. No chatter due to the two blade holding side pieces but the angle of the blade needs some dialing in;) View attachment 932199
Wooh! You’ve made a SEVETTE!!!!!!!
Kudos my friend :)

Didn't have any spare base plates to cut up for a try but I did have a mild guard plate for a Supply Provisions injector that I don't use. I cut it off with a Dremel and gave it a go... with and across the grain wasn't uncomfortable but against the grain will require some practice. No chatter due to the two blade holding side pieces but the angle of the blade needs some dialing in;) View attachment 932199

I made a Sevette out of a micromatic and my one piece of advice round the edges on the blade or get something to cover the pointed edge. I sliced my cheeks open really good with mine without even trying on the corners. It also left a lot of scratch marks when it didn't puncture the skin with the corners inadvertently making contact with skin.

Top Bottom