What's new

No guard DE?

BEARING IN MIND THAT I'M A STEEP ANGLE SHAVER:
My new Devette with the flat Rapira cap was certainly a good lesson in control. But the angle was just a little bit too close to 90° for comfort. I don't mind concentrating... but not that much.

So as much as I enjoyed the lesson, my next Devette shave will be back with "Coach 1" (with the Gillette Tech cap on).

Challenges are fine, but enjoyable shaves are the first priority (for me).

Well today I finally bit the bullet and cut the guards off my much loved MTO. The dremel took no time to convert the mild MTO into a wild MTO. I have christened this razor the silent assassin as there was hardly any audible feedback from the blade as opposed to my baseplateless Wilkinson Sword Classic. I loaded it up with a new Derby Extra that was PIFed to me from @Texas (my first outing with this blade) and all I can say is WOW!. I only did two passes, 1 WTG & 1 ATG as fellow member @BSAGuy had mentioned in another thread that he thought that the XTG pass was not really needed, and I have to agree, BBS everywhere, even the bottom of my neck, which is notorisly difficult for me (and many others), and no irritation. I did not need to do any touch ups or buffing on the chin and it cut a good 10 minutes off my normal routine. I saved even more time from my usual Saturday morning shave which consists of a shavette for WTG & XTG and then touch-ups with the DE and a light ATG pass, but with that I normally get some light irritation on my lower neck, which dissipates within an hour or so, but not today:a14:. Big thanks to @mjclark & @1Cal for encouraging me in my endeavours, you two truly are my shave hero's. Now for the pics!!! P.S. Is this the most aggressive MTO out there?
P.P.S. I forgot to mention that I can confirm that the MTO is all brass. At least the head and doors are. I didn't nick the handle so I can't confirm that part:001_rolle.

Well today I finally bit the bullet and cut the guards off my much loved MTO. The dremel took no time to convert the mild MTO into a wild MTO. I have christened this razor the silent assassin as there was hardly any audible feedback from the blade as opposed to my baseplateless Wilkinson Sword Classic. I loaded it up with a new Derby Extra that was PIFed to me from @Texas (my first outing with this blade) and all I can say is WOW!. I only did two passes, 1 WTG & 1 ATG as fellow member @BSAGuy had mentioned in another thread that he thought that the XTG pass was not really needed, and I have to agree, BBS everywhere, even the bottom of my neck, which is notorisly difficult for me (and many others), and no irritation. I did not need to do any touch ups or buffing on the chin and it cut a good 10 minutes off my normal routine. I saved even more time from my usual Saturday morning shave which consists of a shavette for WTG & XTG and then touch-ups with the DE and a light ATG pass, but with that I normally get some light irritation on my lower neck, which dissipates within an hour or so, but not today:a14:. Big thanks to @mjclark & @1Cal for encouraging me in my endeavours, you two truly are my shave hero's. Now for the pics!!! P.S. Is this the most aggressive MTO out there?
P.P.S. I forgot to mention that I can confirm that the MTO is all brass. At least the head and doors are. I didn't nick the handle so I can't confirm that part:001_rolle.
That is superb - and the world's first TTO Devette.
Outstanding!

Very cool!
I finally got around to making my OLD Devette. Looking forward to giving it a try.
Before:
IMG_1965.JPG
IMG_1964.JPG

After:
IMG_1970.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG
IMG_1968.JPG

It was quite chattery - more so than the BBX. The blade fitment was always very loose in this Old - I think I will throw a shim in it next time to help firm it up.
Very interesting - the most comfortable devettes seem to have caps which put a lot of curvature on the blade and are quite wide to reduce blade exposure beyond the cap.
I guess the Old Type doesn't fulfil either of those criteria.

But it IS the razor that our forefathers of shaving would have used to make the original Devettes in the '20's and '30's so this is a proper piece of retro shaving!

Reviving this thread.

It's a bit unfortunate that many photos are missing in this thread.
I have a plastic Wilkinson Razor which could be a good candidate as a devette.

Does anyone uses a davette daily still?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have something similar, "The Great Dicatator's" razor ... guard, but no ends!

Lots and lots of blade exposure.

full

It's rather unforgiving. Think I had six weepers last time.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:stuart: :laugh: Don't be such a wimp Mike. Cut them teeth OFF! :letterk1:

I know, right? Who needs teef? :a11: :001_07:

Think you mean, "cut the REST of the teeth off." It's missing, hm, 8 of them?

And the ones at the end are kind of important, I have found. As far as casual slices.

AA

And the ones at the end are kind of important, I have found.
Nah!
upload_2018-2-20_21-46-6.png
:001_wub:

My guess: The teeth you left in the middle made you overconfident.

Why do you think all cartridges and lots of SEs have blade edge protectors?
EDIT: Ah sorry, you answered that one right at the start. My apologies.

Last edited:
When it was first conceived, the safety razor was invention. When the masses acquiesced, it became convention. To remove the teeth, is inherently an act of contravention. Which is to say, long live BOSC! :001_tongu

Top Bottom