What's new

Blackland SE

Hmmmm, love the Vector, waiting on the Paradigm SE.

20181109_064809.jpg

A while ago I purchased a Mongoose, and sold it after one shave after I finally stopped bleeding :001_rolle WAY too aggressive for me and I never even tried ATG/XTG, yikes!!

Seeing these pictures of the Blackland Vector however, because it looks so darn cool, and the first really positive reviews on here, I feel like I want to try again. Those of you that have one and used it seem to say its not too aggressive. Indeed, the Blackland site classes it a level 5 (and considering they give the Dart a 6 - which I have tried and its too aggressive) I'm looking for some advice. Do you think it would be worth a shot? I guess I know the answer, try it.....however that's an expensive outlay, even knowing I could sell it on BST, I would still take a hit. Thoughts anyone? I guess I'm asking - how does it compare to my GC and #16...…..as I'm sure some of you have tried both of those.

Thanks in advance.
@Zoost
Experimenting is supposed to be fun, not bloody. I doubt you'll receive any harsh criticisms for 'throwing in the towel' early, given such an experience.

I'm no AC SE expert. In fact, I have but a single AC SE razor, an ATT SE1 head mounted on an ATT Kronos handle. (Explaining how I decided upon that specific form factor would derail this thread. I'll happily elaborate via PM if interested.) Where I made a knowledgeable and experience-building call however, is in ordering a diverse assembly of AC SE blades to try with it, and then working my way through them.

With the exception of my DE blade namesake, DE blades are amazingly similar in every way except for bevel taper, coating, and metallurgy. Artist Club SE blades, however, are anything but. How creators make razors that can house and use blades with such different geometries is astounding. Getting as wide of an array of blades as possible and seeing which agree with your face, and for what reasons, will set you up for success in AC SE shaving.

Whereas DE razors use a standard blade and the variable is the design and construction if the razor itself, AC SE razors combine that complexity with further variables in blade design and geometry. It's quite the undertaking. Thankfully the number of AC SE blades isn't so intimidatingly high that experimenting with all of them will be too difficult. This is one of the situations that will make you thankful that tryablade.com exists. Artist Club blades have great longevity, but they are most definitely NOT cheap! Especially if you're purchasing a new dispenser just to try one blade...

If you're a shaving enthusiast, the AC SE format is definitely worth a try. It is familiar enough to DE shaving to have a reduced learning curve, yet different enough to give you a completely different shaving experience.

Your experimentation of modern and vintage razors has already lead you to two fantastic razors that provide you with sublime shaves. Adding to, or equalling, that pair will be a tall order, and won't come easily or cheaply. Whether it's worth it to do so, is a decision only you can make. My 2¢.

~Kai

@LoveTheSlant
I love my GEM Flying Wing/Bullet Tip for those very reasons. For me, it is an incredibly diverse razor, that hasn't failed to do anything I've thrown at it.

Yet for reasons I cannot yet explain (RAD, cough, cough...), that Blackland Vector is calling my name, and will likely find its way into my Den (probably more sooner than later). Not that I don't like it's included (an specifically designed for it) handle, because I do, but a "head only" option from Blackland will only speed this timeline up, considerably.

For those wanting to try the Paradigm AC SE, but don't agree with the pricing or construction, Andrew will be offering an aluminum variant in the not-too-distant future, at a 'less than titanium' price point.

~Kai

Blackland Vector.JPG

Four shaves in - all excellent. I’ve shaved with 3 different blades. Here’s a brief summary of my experience:

Feather Professional (standard): Carefree and efficient shave. With the Vector’s minimal blade exposure/reveal, I moved quickly for a quick, close shave.

Feather Professional Super: Because of this blade’s larger width, there is a bit more blade feel. Not overly so, to where you are nervous about cutting yourself, but just enough for those who might prefer some blade feel upon their skin. I got an efficient shave, but I moved more slowly because of the slightly additional blade feel. For me, this razor is one of the few where I can actually use this higher exposed blade. Compared to the Feather Pro (Standard), I actually enjoyed this shave better, because of that slightly additional blade feel, although both left me with an efficient shave.

Schick Proline P-30: A similar blade feel as the Feather Pro (standard)…but not exactly. Hard to describe the difference. But like the Feather Pro (standard) I was able to whip around my face in a carefree manner, leaving me with a very efficient shave - bbs.

For me, all three blades performed very nicely. If I had to choose, it would be between the Feather Pro Super and the Schick Proline. The Super because of the slightly more - but pleasant - blade feel. The Schick because of the ability to shave quickly…and because I believe I got the closest shave of all three blades within this Vector. Now, this observation is very subjective. I used the Proline last, and perhaps I was more proficient in the Vector’s use. Also, because I did not shave say different sides of my face with different blades (on the same day), I am only going by how I remember "face feel", so please take this last observation with a grain of salt, as all 3 blades performed very well.

Feather Pro-Guard? Although I have some pro-guards, I did not try it in the Vector, and probably will not. The reasonable blade exposure that the Vector offers, for me, provides all the “safety” one could ask for; so I felt no need to tame this razor. It shaves great with these 3 “unguarded" blades. Perhaps one starting out in AC shaving might elect to use the guarded blade.

One comment on the sharp corners that some have noticed. Yes, on the top cap, the front corners are a bit pointy. There were a couple of times that I thought I cut myself on my nose [when going ear to nose], when it was in fact, just the pointy corners. To remedy this, I took the top cap off, using a fine sharpening type stone, I gently rounded, and softened the corners. This worked great, and took all of 5 minutes. I no longer feel any sharp points. Plus, if I simply left the top-cap as-is, it would have been just fine, as I would have built some muscle memory, if you will, and avoid the corners. BUT, I like to tinker, so I fixed it. If Shane is reading some of our posts, maybe he will address this on future production runs.

Hope this helps some folks out!

Noticed the sharp corners as well, didn't like that. The Vector is a zippy little razor, but the small things start to jump at you the more you shave with it. The sharp corners, the top cap will sit crooked on mine exposing the blade more on one side than the other(very minute but I noticed it right away). Loading/unloading can be a PITA, especially unloading. Water makes the blade stick to the cap and becasue the cap is so thin and small I gotta flick the blade off with my fingernail. There's also blade overhang where a tiny bit of the blade sticks out beyond the top cap.

More blade feel than the Paradigm, I did one side with the Vector and the other with Paradigm. The P was incredibly smooth compared to the V, and loading/unloading is crazy simple with the P. I'm gonna try out both for 2 more weeks, but it's looking like the P is gonna win this one out for me.

I just purchased the Blackland Vector plus the Stand (you guys tempted me too much). So I went ahead and bought it (skipping the timeless I had planned to purchase this weekend). I should have waited for the black Friday sale (if any), oh well....... When it comes, I will be shaving with it and then do a comparison with the ATT SE1/SE2 with Schick Prolines.

I just purchased the Blackland Vector plus the Stand (you guys tempted me too much). So I went ahead and bought it (skipping the timeless I had planned to purchase this weekend). I should have waited for the black Friday sale (if any), oh well....... When it comes, I will be shaving with it and then do a comparison with the ATT SE1/SE2 with Schick Prolines.

I look forward to your comparison! I haven't seen any reviews that tells me it will offer anything better than the mighty SE1...

I look forward to your comparison! I haven't seen any reviews that tells me it will offer anything better than the mighty SE1...
I know!! that's partly the reason I have purchased this one!!! It's a tough standard to beat, as the SE1 is GODLY!!!!!! I will do an objective comparison on the 2, as I have 30 days to return the Vector if I don't like it, So I have no pressure to force myself to like it or anything. No risk here : )

I know!! that's partly the reason I have purchased this one!!! It's a tough standard to beat, as the SE1 is GODLY!!!!!! I will do an objective comparison on the 2, as I have 30 days to return the Vector if I don't like it, So I have no pressure to force myself to like it or anything. No risk here : )

proxy.php

After a couple of weeks using the Vector and the Paradigm I am leaning toward the Paradigm. The shave is smoother but just as efficient, I do like how nimble the Vector is but the Paradigm is effortless and now that I am doing ATG on my first pass I am getting quick efficient and smooth shave with it

I had my third shave with the Vector which is my first SE razor. I have been wet-shaving for about 8 years with a DE (mostly with ATT). I have been getting really great shaves with the Vector although I do notice the sharp edges on the corners. I hope this get rectified in 2.0. Overall I am very happy with the vector being my first SE razor.

After a couple of weeks using the Vector and the Paradigm I am leaning toward the Paradigm. The shave is smoother but just as efficient, I do like how nimble the Vector is but the Paradigm is effortless and now that I am doing ATG on my first pass I am getting quick efficient and smooth shave with it

Glad to hear I am not the only one who is a little underwhelmed by the Vector. Maybe I am just more of a GEM guy, but I definitely prefer my Sabre to the Vector. I find the AC blades a little too long to be super maneuverable and the leading edge corners of the Vector are a bit sharp. I also find the tiny head to be a little bit difficult to manipulate when installing the blade...it is a work of art to look at, but in practice, I would prefer a little more surface area to get a hold of...still on the fence about this one.

I would like to share something that happened to me this past Thanksgiving morning. A situation arose that left me in a semi panic mode. The unthinkable happened as I dropped my new Vector razor and damaged it. The guard was bent and rendered it useless.

23DF857E-50B0-4721-99C3-00A406A46E50.jpeg

Here is a copy of the email that I sent Shane that same morning and his response earlier today.....

23DF857E-50B0-4721-99C3-00A406A46E50.jpeg

Hi Augustin,

What a shame! Not to worry, though. I'll pop a new base plate in the mail for you tomorrow. You've been a great customer for the last year or two so no need to pay for the replacement part.

Thank you!

Shane Swartzlander
Blackland LLC
[email protected]
www.blacklandrazors.com
(765)268-0525

---- On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 10:17:21 -0500 Squarespace <[email protected]> wrote ----

Name: Augustin Jaime

Email Address: *************@**********

Subject: Disaster! My Vector got bent!!

First I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving for you, your family and loved ones. May it be a day of cheer, good eats and laughter.

My dilemma. Disaster struck me this morning right after my shave. I was setting my SOTD pic for one of the shave forums when the unspeakable happened. I dropped my Vector razor and it hit a corner of my SS sink in the bathroom and it bent the guard terribly. It was a complete brain dead move. I’m asking if there are replacement base plates so that I can purchase one asap. If they are not available as a stand alone yet, please let me know when they become available? I’m in dire straights here as so far it has been without a doubt my favorite SE and one of my top 5 razors in my den. Just kidding on the dire straights part but, whenever they are available just let me know. My apologies for troubling you during the holidays.

Much thanks and appreciated......

Sincerest Regards,
Augustin

How’s that for customer service? The man gets it, period. I was more than willing to pay for it but, it just goes to show you that he stands behind his product and believes in taking care of his customers. There are a few more razor makers that would have done the same thing and have done it as many can attest too. It’s a great to know that in the wet shaving world we have honest people that run an honest business and are not in it just for the money grab. More vendors and manufacturers should take note.

Happy shaves Gents.....

You've been a great customer for the last year or two so no need to pay for the replacement part.

Ouch...

Excellent costumer service, but hopefully first time buyers would get the same service.

You can cut that guard off completely and use it as a shavette now!

Ouch...

Excellent costumer service, but hopefully first time buyers would get the same service.

You can cut that guard off completely and use it as a shavette now!

Lol! You might be on to something there.... And I think that he would treat first time buyers just the same. I hope..... :letterk1:

Oh, that is a painful sight! It's nice to know that Shane even has replacement parts for sale. Can't beat that service though. I used my Vector this morning and I'd feel the same as you if I dropped it. :001_07: I'm glad it all ended well.

Last edited:
Thats got to be one tough sink Gus!! It looks like the blade was dented also in the pic. Glad to see Shane standing behind his product as usual...

Top Bottom