What's new

Vintage SE

B

Barney14

What are the advantages of using a vintage SE razor such as an Ever Ready or Gem Micromatic over a vintage DE razor

I don't think a generalized advantage exists. GEM is just another format to try where you might end up liking it more than DE (or maybe not!)
It's definitely a different shaving experience vs DE. The GEM shave is very shallow (almost parallel to your face) and the head is generally bigger than a DE head. It's a thicker blade as well!
When I tried a GEM for the first time last year, it worked so well for me that it became my favorite format.
I now own multiple GEM's both modern and vintage!
One advantage I can say about vintage GEM's is that you can pick up a working copy for a very low cost.
Buy one and try it, if you don't like it, sell it!
My suggestion is to search and read through the GEM threads here on B&B.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I found that the GEM blade suits my skin consistently, if the razor has a straight bar. G-Bars and Pushbuttons for example. Not all DE blades in a straight bar DE razor do that for me.

Micromatics, with exceptions, are more aggressive because they have an open comb. Not good for me.

YMMV, of course. Having said that, give them a go. As LRod says, Vintage GEM razors can be obtained cheaply. 100 blades can be obtained at Connaught Shaving in Britain at £17, whatever that amounts to in your local currency, so the cost of blades is not prohibitive.

In short, the advantages are dependent on how they work for you.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There is no real advantage to any format. I have added an Ever Ready Chromium, also known as a Streamline, a Schick Injector type J, and a Feather Artist Club DX to my DE collection simply to add variety. I enjoy the different techniques that are required to use each razor. Most Ever Ready and Schick razors are inexpensive so there is little to be lost by trying them.

In my experience, vintage GEM/EverReady/ASR razors are more efficient than the vintage Gillette DE razors (at least the ones I have tried). In general, the older the GEM model, the more efficient it is. The GEM/EverReady/ASR razors were well made and I have at least one over a hundred years old and it still works like a champ. Most models can be had for $10-$20 USD if you shop around. The GEM blades are thicker than DE blades, so there is less blade flex which produces a different shave. The first few shaves on a new GEM blade can be harsh, so you probably want to cork the blade and start with a mild razor for first few shaves. As mentioned, you also use a different shave angle than with a DE (EverReady 1924 Shovel Head is an exception to that rule). With DE blades, in general, the first few shaves on the blade are not harsh but that depends on the blade and the razor (and your face prep, of course). There are fewer choices of GEM style blades in comparison to DE blades but the blades are good, especially the Personna GEM PTFE-coated stainless steel blades.

Also, there are three razors in the GEM MicroMatic line: Bullet Tip/Flying Wing (MMBT/MMFW), Clog Pruf (MMCP, two variations) and the Open Comb (MMOC). Those are mild, medium, and aggressive respectively. Some people see those at the pinnacle of the GEM razors.

Ebay, Etsy and shaving forums like this one are good places to find vintage GEM-style razors. One of my favorites is the GEM Heavy Flat Top/G-Bar. It is built like a tank and not aggressive but it is efficient.

Top Bottom