What's new

Female Newbie Journal: Falling Down the Rabbit Hole

Shave Mail~9/25/18
Can't wait to use my new Captain's Choice Lather Bowl! I've been wanting to get one since coming back to DE Wet Shaving! The jars are 5 oz that I bought off eBay for my pucks and Stirling Sample Soaps.
Captin's Choice Lather Bowl and 5 oz jars.JPG

You're welcome.

There are a few stainless versions around the forum I think. They'd have the weight, yeah.
This is a brand new razor, there is no stainless version as yet. There might be double open comb razors, but not this one. Only the aluminum is available.

ALL RUSSIAN BLADES CONTINUED~Rapira Super Stainless~5'th Use~9/28/18

Ok, after my week testing the Ascension Razor, it's time to get back to testing razor blades.
Razor: Vintage Pre-War Gillette Tech~Soap: DR Harris Marlborough~Brush: RazoRock Plissoft
Post-Shave: T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel with added 5 drops of Nature's Truth GOOD NITE 100% Pure Essential Oil (Ingredients: Lavender Oil, Tangerine Oil, Bergamot Oil, Geranium Oil, Cypress Oil, Frankincense Oil, and Chamomile Blue Oil)~Crown King Red Planet Star Jelly Aftershave, Barbedeaux Aftershave Lotion.

Did both a "baby girl face shave" and for the legs, a two pass shave, WTG and ATG. Absolutely smooth and comfortable shave with the combination of razor and soap used. The soap provided such great cushion, glide, and slide and wonderful post shave feel.
Post-shave routine settled this BBS shave in very nicely. I'm loving using the Barbedeaux for the razor bump therapy it provides. This blade has been performing well.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............been waiting for 24 days for my Yaqi Rainbow Pride Brush to come and just got an e-mail saying the darn thing was sent back to their warehouse. This ticks me off.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............been waiting for 24 days for my Yaqi Rainbow Pride Brush to come and just got an e-mail saying the darn thing was sent back to their warehouse. This ticks me off.
Just heard from the vendor and as resolution, they are sending me a Yaqi Pink Rose Safety Razor when it comes in. I am quite happy with that Customer Service.

ALL RUSSIAN BLADES CONTINUED~Rapira Super Stainless~6'th Use~9/29/18

Razor: Vintage Gillette Slim Adjustable, Setting 3~Soap: DR Harris Marlborough~Brush: Omega-S
Post-Shave: T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel with Nature's Truth GOOD NITE 100% Pure Essential Oil added, Lucky Tiger Aspen After Shave, Dove Men +Care Sensitive+ Post Shave Balm

Again, did a two-pass shave, WTG, ATG, and XTG touchup. Got a BBS only after the post-shave routine and the shave had settled in. The shave was comfortable without irritation. I feel the blade is waning so may go on to my next Russian Blade to test.

Last edited:
ALL RUSSIAN BLADES CONTINUED~Rapira Super Stainless~7'th Use~9/30/18

Decided to do one more shave on the blade. Used my in need of repair Vintage Gillette Fatboy, DR Harris Marlborough Soap, lathered with Yaqi Mystery Space Silvertip Badger Brush
Post-shave-T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel with Good Night Essential Oils, PAA Jitterbug Fougere Aftershave Cologne, and Barbedeaux Aftershave Lotion.

Did a 2 pass, WTG and ATG, and XTG touchups. Just wanted to do my shave and not worry about reviewing a new blade tonight. Rapira SS Blade is definitely dead now so on to the next one tomorrow.

ALL RUSSIAN BLADES CONTINUED~Rapira SS Chrome Plated Blade~1'st Use~10/1/18

Razor: Q-Shave Setting 3~Soap: DR Harris Marlborough~Brush: WCS Silvertip Badger~Captain's Choice Lather Bow~l
Post-Shave: T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel with GOOD NITE essential oils, TFS Dani Devil Aftershave, Korres Pure Creek Olive Oil Verbana Body Cream for body and Barbedeaux Aftershave Lotion for face.

This is the first time my Q-Shave didn't give e an exceptional shave...perplexing. I did a 2-pass shave, WTG and ATG, with XTG touch-ups. The shave seemed to be going smoothly and comfortable but the end results even after the post-shave routine was not BBS. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I felt a bit spent tonight, so decided to do an easy shave. I was sent the OmniShaver to do a review on so just grabbed it to try it before I do a video. It' a nifty (dating myself) little shaver as it can shave in all directions and self-strops and is long lasting. A lot of head shavers are using this razor and a lot of reviews are on YouTube.
I am down to the last bit of one of my first soap pucks, DR Haris Marlborough and want to finish it off, so I lathered
OmniShaver.JPG
that up with my WCS Psychedelic Line Gumby Brush.
That little double cartridge razor is pretty remarkable in how it performs. Full review to be done in the near future.
Topped off the shave with T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel with GOOD NITE essential oil added, Homemade Remedy and Barbedeaux Aftershave Lotion.

I felt a bit spent tonight, so decided to do an easy shave. I was sent the OmniShaver to do a review on so just grabbed it to try it before I do a video. It' a nifty (dating myself) little shaver as it can shave in all directions and self-strops and is long lasting.
I assume that by "all directions", you mean forward and backwards. I would think that trying to go side-to-side would leave one with a nasty slice injury.

I assume that by "all directions", you mean forward and backward. I would think that trying to go side-to-side would leave one with a nasty slice injury.
Actually, no. It goes back and forth, sideways, forward and back all in both directions...all directions because it pivots, which makes it so remarkable. I had no nicks at all even over bony areas like knees ankles, Achilles Tendon, tendon along outside of the leg, etc. You'll see when I post my review video on my channel, She Shaves with Jill.

ALL RUSSIAN BLADES CONTINUED~Rapira SS Chrome Plated Blade~3'rd Use~10/6/18

I used the Rapira during my testing of the Ascension Razor, so this is the 3'rd use.
Razor: New RazoRock German Slant 37~Pre-Shave: Neutrogena Glycerin Facial Bar~Soap: RazoRock One X~Brush: WCS Silvertip Badger

Post-Shave: Homemade Remedy and Dove Men +CareSensitive+ Post Shave Balm

The soap has a unique scent and I love it. I bowl lathered with my Captain's Choice Lather Bowl. Got a good lather but I struggled with releasing lather and came close to breaking the lather when adding water. I think I will use my Badger Brushes for a week or more to get even more proficient in using them when bowl lathering. This soap had sufficient protection but the residual slickness was sorely lacking. I did a 2 pass shave WTG and ATG. I also did my "babygirl" face shave with it. Unless noted otherwise, I always shave my arms with one pass.

The razor is remarkable! Very comfortable and smooth yet very efficient...no issues at all I love it. Has a perfect weight for me and the angle is very intuitive to make and maintain. Can't wait to use it with a "better" blade.
The post-shave routine settled the shave in nicely.

All Russian Blades Continued~Voshkod 3'rd Use~10/12/18

The first two uses on this Voshkod Blade were when testing the PAA Twist Adjustable Double Open Comb Ascension which I did a YouTube video review.

Tonight's shave I used the Q-Shave (setting 2 on arms, 3 1/2 for legs), DR Harris Marlborough Soap, used with my Proraso Pro Omega Brush and my Captain's Choice Lather Bowl.

Did a two-pass WTG, ATG and with residual slickness an XTG. Achieved a BBS.

Settled the shave in with Thayers Rose Witch Hazel and PAA Star Jelly Al Fin Aftershave.

Top Bottom