What's new

I fell down the rabbit's hole...

Hey guys,

Name's Brian and I've been using a DE for about six years now. I fell down the rabbit's hole around 11 years ago when I picked up a brush and a puck of Crabtree & Evelyn while in Madison (Fountain Alley?). I used it with a custom Trac II for a few years and always enjoyed a "good" shave but it was still a daily chore. Fast forward a few years, to when I had more money than sense, I wanted to change it up so I picked up the entire AoS Sandlewood line, which I enjoyed immensely. That is, until it was time to by more.

You see after our first child arrived, I realized that I no longer had that type of cash burning a hole in my pocket (thanks Henry). I started exploring the world of traditional wet shaving and some more "budget friendly" options. In comes Proraso Green soap, CO Bigelow cream, and a 34C. Apparently, I am a better sales rep than I give myself credit for because I sold my wife on the "affordability" of this transition. So on my marry way I went, shaving old school, and doing it really poorly. Seriously, it was an uphill battle that I was loosing to irritation and ingrown hairs. However, this was norm with my trac II and Mach III, so c'est la vie and on I went.

Fast forward to Black Friday, 2018. I am at my parent's house and I'm tired of the menthol, the itchy routine and poor technique I had developed. Although I was enjoying shaving more, I still hadn't found a way to make it "fun" like ya'll had. So what did I do? I splurged. A lot. Repeatedly. I'm not proud of it. A DE blade sample pack from WCS, Q Bro's, and Razor Emporium; soap from Oleo, Captains Choice, PAA, & Proraso; bowls from Amazon, etc. You see where I'm going with this. I also started reading forums and blog, (B&B, Sharpologist), watching YouTube (I'd lather be shaving, NickShaves, Kensurfs) & combing eBay.

By this point, I realized I needed to pump the brakes (my wife may have pulled the e-brake too). It was a good thing though. I started playing with different blades, refining my technique and slowing things down. I worked on my prep and concluded that "light pressure" meant ZERO pressure. I realized pulling a Spinal Tap, and turning it up to 11, wasn't necessary so I shelved the feathers and started exploring the 7-9 range. I also started shaving a night.

I also decided it was time to join B&B. Y'all played such an important role and I wanted to thank you. So, from bottom of my heart, I thank you. Shaving is now fun and something I look forward to every night. My kids ask me for shaves all the time (just like daddy) and its a fun hobby to talk about with people. I have three kids now and one of the biggest take aways I have learned is to enjoy every moment. I can now say that I enjoy my family, my job, and my daily shave.

thumbnail.jpg

Now, let me tell you about my coffee habit...

Ha Ha...nice one. Most of us are down in that same rabbit hole. I managed for 50+ years on just 1 razor at a time. if it got damaged (I traveled a bit in the Army), or it was lost, or generally buggered then I bought 1 more razor to replace it.
Then I found this forum and the slide into the rabbit hole started.
Still have some vintage Gillettes that I use regularly (Tech, Black Beauty, NEW SC), but added on a Fatip Picollo, Mamba, and now a Timeless SS OC.
I 'think' that's all I need now but I'm sure someone will come on here and show a new razor that we all really, really need (SS Karve maybe, or a new Janus toggle).
So if you hear quiet mutterings from further down the rabbit hole it's probably me, and you are standing on my head (and please do tell about the coffee...I just bought a Nespresso machine too. Arrrgggghhh...is there no end to this?).

I have fallen down a hole or two in my lifetime, but aren’t we truly blessed to have the wealth and opportunity to enjoy such things? I work hard for my money, and I always pay myself first so, I say enjoy life and its treasures!

Welcome to B&B. Once you start finding things that work for you, it is easier to slow down. Then it's the occasional change to try something new, hopefully :)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story. If you want to tell us about your coffee habit head to the Cafe forum and fill us in.

Hey guys,

Name's Brian and I've been using a DE for about six years now. I fell down the rabbit's hole around 11 years ago when I picked up a brush and a puck of Crabtree & Evelyn while in Madison (Fountain Alley?). I used it with a custom Trac II for a few years and always enjoyed a "good" shave but it was still a daily chore. Fast forward a few years, to when I had more money than sense, I wanted to change it up so I picked up the entire AoS Sandlewood line, which I enjoyed immensely. That is, until it was time to by more.

You see after our first child arrived, I realized that I no longer had that type of cash burning a hole in my pocket (thanks Henry). I started exploring the world of traditional wet shaving and some more "budget friendly" options. In comes Proraso Green soap, CO Bigelow cream, and a 34C. Apparently, I am a better sales rep than I give myself credit for because I sold my wife on the "affordability" of this transition. So on my marry way I went, shaving old school, and doing it really poorly. Seriously, it was an uphill battle that I was loosing to irritation and ingrown hairs. However, this was norm with my trac II and Mach III, so c'est la vie and on I went.

Fast forward to Black Friday, 2018. I am at my parent's house and I'm tired of the menthol, the itchy routine and poor technique I had developed. Although I was enjoying shaving more, I still hadn't found a way to make it "fun" like ya'll had. So what did I do? I splurged. A lot. Repeatedly. I'm not proud of it. A DE blade sample pack from WCS, Q Bro's, and Razor Emporium; soap from Oleo, Captains Choice, PAA, & Proraso; bowls from Amazon, etc. You see where I'm going with this. I also started reading forums and blog, (B&B, Sharpologist), watching YouTube (I'd lather be shaving, NickShaves, Kensurfs) & combing eBay.

By this point, I realized I needed to pump the brakes (my wife may have pulled the e-brake too). It was a good thing though. I started playing with different blades, refining my technique and slowing things down. I worked on my prep and concluded that "light pressure" meant ZERO pressure. I realized pulling a Spinal Tap, and turning it up to 11, wasn't necessary so I shelved the feathers and started exploring the 7-9 range. I also started shaving a night.

I also decided it was time to join B&B. Y'all played such an important role and I wanted to thank you. So, from bottom of my heart, I thank you. Shaving is now fun and something I look forward to every night. My kids ask me for shaves all the time (just like daddy) and its a fun hobby to talk about with people. I have three kids now and one of the biggest take aways I have learned is to enjoy every moment. I can now say that I enjoy my family, my job, and my daily shave.

View attachment 965770

Now, let me tell you about my coffee habit...

Welcome n happy shaves!

You're not getting out of the rabbit hole anytime soon lol!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
So. Much. Cheaper. Than. Golf. Flyfishing. Sportscars. Crack. Sailboats.
I like how you slipped that one in there, Mac.[emoji23]

Great post, OP! Enjoy. I think theres a lesson for some of us in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I’ve been trapped inside the deepest darkest and coldest rabbit hole for nearly 4 years of wet shaving, thanks guys, I’ll never get myself out of this darned rabbit hole

Top Bottom