What's new

Female Newbie Journal: Falling Down the Rabbit Hole

Ok, I've put this off for a bit and even though I am fighting the terrible flu going around I am doing it!

I'm recently into double-edged safety razor shaving since mid-January, 2018.

When I first started shaving my legs as a teen, I snuck my Daddy's safety razor which made him very angry messing up his blades (I think that is where I first learned to curse).

I don't quite remember how I ended up deciding to go to YouTube to get information on DE wet shaving and all the products. I kid you not, I watched at least a hundred videos, and continue to watch them. In fact, that is how I found Badger and Blade from a question I had asked a reviewer.

Reminds me, time to cancel my Dollar Shave Club subscription.

Not one to do anything half-assed, I immediately fell down the rabbit hole.
Rather than make this a novella, I'll post a picture of everything I have purchased and received so far...not in the picture is a 160-count Barbacide disinfecting towelettes Wipes
100_2016.JPG

Still to come is the 50 count sampler of ten different razor blades (it is taking forever to get here) so I can really get down to business! The only blades I have are Derby Extra that came with my Edwin Jagger DE89LBL, Vikings Blade Mild that came with my Chieftain Razor, and Apache Personna that came with my QShave Razor. Also awaiting a brush and razor stand, Nivea Sensitive Skin Shave Cream, and a Plissoft Synthetic Brush and alum stick from Italian Barber.

That's it for tonight's very first post but wanted to finally at least start it.

Now, be kind and gentle with me with help and suggestion on this journey of mine, please :)

Welcome. That is a nice start. You have some great products there. I bought a Chieftain for my first DE based on YouTube and Amazon reviews. The razor, although over priced, was a good shaver. I did not like the blades that they included with it though. The Stirling and DR Harris soaps will be great performers.

If you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask.

Welcome. That is a nice start. You have some great products there. I bought a Chieftain for my first DE based on YouTube and Amazon reviews. The razor, although over priced, was a good shaver. I did not like the blades that they included with it though. The Stirling and DR Harris soaps will be great performers.

The Vikings Chieftain on the first try was disappointing. I have a razor burn still not over. It was a close shave but my legs are so irritated from it and knicked myself horribly. Some of it may be user error trying to get used to the angle compared to my DE89. The seller of that 50 pack of blades contacted me and seems package is lost, so I guess I make a trip to Walgreen's to buy a pack to hold me over. I've asked him to ship another package now and if it turns up here I will pay the $12 for it again. Using good blades and finding what is best for me is a big part of getting into gear. , so I am stalled right now and revving.

Now will be the quest to find the right blade for each razor I have. I need to perfect my lathering methods with each soap/cream/stick. The search will continue to find good soaps too.

Also, need to find some good post-shave products. I hate the idea of having a shelf full of product if it isn't good or doesn't work for me.

Didn't use the blades that came with the Chieftain because I heard they were not so good.

If you don't mind me asking, how often do you shave your legs, and were you dissatisfied with the shaves you were getting from cart razors?

If you don't mind me asking, how often do you shave your legs, and were you dissatisfied with the shaves you were getting from cart razors?
I shave my leg and pits with each bath I also shave my arms and bikini line. I shave my face too because it conditions my face and I have some growth on my chin and just enjoy it and makeup goes on smoother and easier. That has something to do with when I used to be a bodybuilder too...total body shaves. That I do twice a day because I don't like those little thick hairs.

The last cartridges I used were from Dollar Shave Club Executive Set. They were okay but I get a better shave with DE blades and it is much closer. It's also a pleasant, sensuous pampering time for myself.

Welcome, Jill. Looks like you dove right in, lol.

Enjoy it. There are much better blades to come in your sampler, I'm sure.

Welcome, Jill. Looks like you dove right in, lol.

Enjoy it. There are much better blades to come in your sampler, I'm sure.
Yes, they are some of the premium blades I've seen reviewed in my searching on youtube for good ones. With 5 each of 10 different ones, I am sure to find what works for me with each razor I use and method of lathering.

Today's purchases: Neutrogena Glycerin Facial Bars 3-pack, Studio 35 Men's Stainless Steel Doube-Edge Blades, and Plasti Dip.

My Sampler Pack of Blades got lost in transit, so I went to Walgreen's but they were out of Gilette or any other blades, and this pack was all they had (looked them up and someone said they are rebranded Dprco's or Personna's?). Somehow I think they me one of those don't buy again items.

The Plasti Dip is to coat my new QShave Adjustable Razor handle which is really slick. Got that hint
soap, plasti dip blades.JPG
from Shave Nation.

So I gave in and decided to do my shave tonight. I was coming off a terrible shave using my new Vikings Blade Chieftan razor. I had bad razor burn and bumps from it and had mega nicks and weepers from that, one bad enough on shin just above the foot that needed a band-aid; steptic wasn't working and had no alum bar yet (it is on its way).

That was two nights ago I believe and was leery about doing a shave tonight but persevered.

Tonight's set up:
Pre-shave wash with Neutrogena Glycerin Bar
QShave Adjustable Razor kept on the 3 setting for all passes until a quick finish with it on the 1 setting.
Blade: Apache Personna (second use)
Soap: First time using Derby Shave Stick. I chose that because I was tired and wanted something that lathers quickly and not give me Popeye arms from loading and working up a lather in a bowl.
Brush: Fine Accoutrements Stout Angel Hair
Post Shave: Witch hazel
Pinaud Clubman After Shave Lotion
Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

I have to say that not having used a soap stick before I found it quite pleasurable and sooooooooooooooo easy to use.
although I had tiny scabs from all the nicks and cuts from the previous shave, not one of them re-opened or got nicked up again and no new ones either.

I am already in love with the QShave Adjustable! It was so smooth running and I just let it do all the work. It's as if the head is shaped and angled a way that it automatically follows a good path and I like the weight of it.

This was my closest and smoothest shave experience yet. I can't stop running my hands along my legs and arms and face (yes, I shave all those bits) because it is so soft.

Yes, they are some of the premium blades I've seen reviewed in my searching on youtube for good ones. With 5 each of 10 different ones, I am sure to find what works for me with each razor I use and method of lathering.
Good news, the blade sampler pack hit West Palm Beach, Florida at least they are in my state now.

Well, my instant gratification took hold and I ordered the Merkur 34c as so many love it and it is a top seller. Took advantage of free shipping at WCS and got it there.

I think shorter is better for my likes. I know ladies may like a long handle for their legs but I like better control of those long strokes when I near danger areas.

NO MAS on buying more razors! Four is enough already for this newbie (who already became a collector).

Welcome to the journals, Jill! Very nice set up, and you can rarely go wrong with Stirling. There are a ton of fantastic post-shave products out there, but you usually just need to find what works specifically for you. The 34C was my first DE, and it is an excellent shaver.

NO MAS on buying more razors! Four is enough already for this newbie (who already became a collector).

Lol we'll see how long it takes before the next DE catches your eye.. :lol:

Welcome to the journals, Jill! Very nice set up, and you can rarely go wrong with Stirling. There are a ton of fantastic post-shave products out there, but you usually just need to find what works specifically for you. The 34C was my first DE, and it is an excellent shaver.

Lol we'll see how long it takes before the next DE catches your eye.. :lol:
Sigh! I need a keeper!

Note to self: Breaking in the Simogue 1305 and Van Der Hagen Brushes...
Originally did the clean and lather and let dry for a day on both then the 3 day-in-the fridge quick break-in.
Have been doing a palm lather only and a 10-12 minute rubout since. On my third time doing that. Van Der Hagen I can use but the Simogue 1305 I will continue to do palm lathers and rub-outs for much longer. It is coming along though.

Top Bottom