What's new

Another UK newbie - down the rabbit hole

I've fallen down a rabbit hole.

For years I shaved with multi-blade cartridge things, Mach 3, then King of Shaves Azors.

Xmas 2015, Mrs Llama bought me a bundle from Shaving Shack including a Bluebeard's Revenge Scimitar Double Edged razor, and a variety pack of blades. Tried it, got used to it, bought some Feather blades when the variety ran out. I was happy. Blissful ignorance.

A few weeks ago the Scimitar got dropped and the head snapped off. Quickly looked it up, found out that it's the same as a Edwin Jagger 89 but with laser etching, so ordered the EJ89 as it was also £13 cheaper.

Did a web search to see if the head snapping was a common thing. "A Tech would have survived that fall", I read on here.

More searching, Gillette Tech DE razors, hmm.... lots of versions.....other Gillette DE razors, Old, New, New Improved, TTOs, Aristocrats, Flairs, Slims, who knew?!

Maybe I could get one - Ebay - hmm... vague descriptions, blurry photos, what's that razor then? Identification charts, more forum searching.

I now appear to have purchased:
  • No.45 Coronation Set
  • British Ball-End Tech
  • British Flat Bottom Tech with handle that matches a Service Set?
  • Flare-end Rocket
  • Travel Tech (Made in USA)

IMG_7649.jpg

And finally, a Futur clone is on its way....
Was particularly attracted to that as the description included:

Name: Male Safety Razor
Color: Sliver
Material: Mental
Net Weight: 96g​

Who wouldn't want a "sliver" razor made of "Mental"?!

I expect this won't be the end.....
(In fact I know it won't, there's more in the post already)

Ha welcome to the craziness. On my 4 months ago I started collecting and restoring vintage Gillettes. Now it's a hobby and my collection is ever growing.

Your friendly neighborhood BambulanceMan

Welcome!

There actually is a mental razor. The Gillette Psycho. Though it's metal.

Now tell us the wife's name is Dolly! :a17:

Welcome to B&B.
You have a nice collection of razors growing.
When the DE89 gets dropped a lot of stress is put on the threaded screw on the top cap. That is the weak point especially as it made from zinc alloy.

I've fallen down a rabbit hole.

For years I shaved with multi-blade cartridge things, Mach 3, then King of Shaves Azors.

Xmas 2015, Mrs Llama bought me a bundle from Shaving Shack including a Bluebeard's Revenge Scimitar Double Edged razor, and a variety pack of blades. Tried it, got used to it, bought some Feather blades when the variety ran out. I was happy. Blissful ignorance.

A few weeks ago the Scimitar got dropped and the head snapped off. Quickly looked it up, found out that it's the same as a Edwin Jagger 89 but with laser etching, so ordered the EJ89 as it was also £13 cheaper.

Did a web search to see if the head snapping was a common thing. "A Tech would have survived that fall", I read on here.

More searching, Gillette Tech DE razors, hmm.... lots of versions.....other Gillette DE razors, Old, New, New Improved, TTOs, Aristocrats, Flairs, Slims, who knew?!

Maybe I could get one - Ebay - hmm... vague descriptions, blurry photos, what's that razor then? Identification charts, more forum searching.

I now appear to have purchased:
  • No.45 Coronation Set
  • British Ball-End Tech
  • British Flat Bottom Tech with handle that matches a Service Set?
  • Flare-end Rocket
  • Travel Tech (Made in USA)

View attachment 806007

And finally, a Futur clone is on its way....
Was particularly attracted to that as the description included:

Name: Male Safety Razor
Color: Sliver
Material: Mental
Net Weight: 96g​

Who wouldn't want a "sliver" razor made of "Mental"?!

I expect this won't be the end.....
(In fact I know it won't, there's more in the post already)
Welcome to the club

Great googly moogly man! You don't have nearly enough! You need more razors, straights and SEs. You need about 30 years worth of shave soaps and enough aftershaves to fill several barrels and bath tubs! And where are your brushes...oh the brushes! You sir are behind the power curve and need to catch up! :001_cool:

Really though, I kid...well sort of. You have a great collection there! Welcome to Badger & Blade! Don't be a stranger and feel free to make this place your shaving home!

Welcome to B&B from another UK personage. My first ever try at traditional shaving was with a mental razor - the freebie Wilkinson Sword one, never did get the hang of that one.

Top Bottom