What's new

FaTip Piccolo Special Edition

Thanks (I think!). I'd like to add that I didn't stay away on purpose, just a difficult couple of years. Anyway, after seeing that Connaught had sold out, I couldn't resist pressing the buy button on Gifts and Care while I still could. I'd always wanted to try a Fatip and this one looks great.
Same situation for me, same result...:001_rolle

I've been using my new Piccolo SE with the OC plate and an Astra SP blade since it arrived last week. I'm getting used to it, but it's definitely the most aggressive razor I've used to date and tends to leave me with a few minor weepers in the morning. However, it certainly provides a very close, if not particularly mild shave. Maybe it's not really intended to be an every day razor, or perhaps I just need to push through to a better technique. It's hardest for me where I had a mustache a few years ago -- that's my coarsest facial hair and I'm trying for BBS with less prep work than I probably should.

Last edited:
There are a couple issues that I think some folks may have with the Piccolo. First is the handle itself, it's relatively short, thin diameter, and doesn't have aggressive knurling. I think it's OK and I'll continue using it, though it doesn't fit my hand as well as the "premium" RazoRock stainless handles -- I think that I'm going to buy at least 5 of their Barber Pole handles to use with other razor heads when Italian Barber gets more in.

The main issue that many people have is that it's less aggressive than a Muhle R41, but not much else. The Piccolo takes a very light touch, and you still may have a weeper or two after shaving. For folks with sensitive skin, it's likely to be more than they'll want to deal with. I do almost no pre-shave prep for daily shaves, I just apply apply canned shaving cream right out of the shower and go to it -- I feel a little more skin burn with the Piccolo than with other razors, but the extra closeness of the shave is worth it to me. Also, either I'm getting better with it, or I'm just used to it.

I haven't tried the closed safety bar (gentle) plate -- I bought the SE in part for the color combo, but also because I wanted to have it, but in my mind a Piccolo is supposed to be open comb.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
There are a couple issues that I think some folks may have with the Piccolo. First is the handle itself, it's relatively short, thin diameter, and doesn't have aggressive knurling. I think it's OK and I'll continue using it, though it doesn't fit my hand as well as the "premium" RazoRock stainless handles -- I think that I'm going to buy at least 5 of their Barber Pole handles to use with other razor heads when Italian Barber gets more in.

The main issue that many people have is that it's less aggressive than a Muhle R41, but not much else. The Piccolo takes a very light touch, and you still may have a weeper or two after shaving. For folks with sensitive skin, it's likely to be more than they'll want to deal with. I do almost no pre-shave prep for daily shaves, I just apply apply canned shaving cream right out of the shower and go to it -- I feel a little more skin burn with the Piccolo than with other razors, but the extra closeness of the shave is worth it to me. Also, either I'm getting better with it, or I'm just used to it.

I haven't tried the closed safety bar (gentle) plate -- I bought the SE in part for the color combo, but also because I wanted to have it, but in my mind a Piccolo is supposed to be open comb.
It's also a deceptively smooth razor. It will really force you to pay attention to your technique.

I have a Gentile, and find it O.K., but it's no Piccolo!

To me, it's a slight step-up from a DE89 in general terms, but a huge step-up in glide. Other than that, I rarely use mine anymore because I've found the IB RazoRock SLOC fits the bill very nicely for a mild DE89 type shaver.

Now as to the Piccolo, I could rave about it all day! Piccolo + Feather is a beautiful shave, for me. Substitute a Gillette Yellow for the Feather, if you can't handle Feather.

How is blade alignment compared to other more recent fatip oc heads? I've had 3 of them and only one had half way decent alignment.

Why not? The piccolo is a highly rated razor.
I just doesn’t work well for me. I’m not sure if it’s the small handle (most of my other razors have a larger one) or the way the blade sits in it - it just feels rough. I was using GSB and Perma-sharp blades but will try one of the 7 o’clock blades before I decide whether to just give up. It would be a shame as it’s a very pretty razor.

I just doesn’t work well for me. I’m not sure if it’s the small handle (most of my other razors have a larger one) or the way the blade sits in it - it just feels rough. I was using GSB and Perma-sharp blades but will try one of the 7 o’clock blades before I decide whether to just give up. It would be a shame as it’s a very pretty razor.
well, good luck with it. If you're not in the UK, I won't mind getting it from you or swapping for it.

Sometimes I wish I had the "retro" handle on my Piccolo. . . . . still eagerly awaiting the new Slant, I wonder what handle it will have?
Screenshot_2018-09-02-20-28-48-181_com.facebook.katana.jpg

When we must wait for slant razor?
Fatip: on September we should have clean idea about launch date.

Fatip is a little craft company.

Of the 7 O'Clock series, I find "Yellow" Sharpedge work pretty well in my Piccolo, but then I like Feather best!

I'm a bit surprised you find GSB rough though, because GSB is usually a pretty smooth blade for me. Not the absolute sharpest, but usually smooth.

Well I do usually like GSBs a lot (I’ve got tons of them) but they just don’t feel good in the Piccolo - I think it’s just a bit too aggressive for me which is odd because others describe it as smooth, but it’s just the way it is I suppose.

Update: tried it this morning with a Wilkinson Sword blade (the German ones I think) and it was a lot better. I’ve got a funny feeling I’ve been angling it a bit high - seems to prefer a somewhat flatter angle than I thought, at least on the solid bar (did not feel comfortable with the open comb when I used that, but might try that again).

Last edited:
Ah.... The temptation is so strong. Should I get one? Leaning more towards the regular piccolo because it's a lot cheaper.......

After using a Grande for more than 6 months, and as my primary razor on the last 2 months, I felt obliged to get this special edition. I can make a lot of variation between the grande and the special edition.

Let the wait begins.

Hi all

Recently back from a year long break, and already I’m looking at my next purchase! I’m very interested in the Fatip Piccolo (esp the Special Edition black and gold version) but I’m not sure if it’ll offer me much variation to what I’m already using. I only have two razors at the moment – a Merkur Slant and Razorock SLOC, which both give me great shaves with no issues at all. So would the OC and Gentile plates that come with the Piccolo actually offer that much of different shave to what I already have? Any advice would be gratefully received!!

Top Bottom