What's new

FaTip Piccolo Special Edition

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Fatip has said that all they have sold out all the stock they produced to vendors. It never got past Europe. It seems like mostly to Italian vendors who don't ship outside the EU. Gifts and Care or Connaught are excellent vendors to order from. Fatip said they will do a second run of them. Currently Fatip is taking the month of August off due to it being an Italian holiday.

The Piccolo handle is the perfect length for superior maneuverability and overall sportiness (75mm)
Just like the handle on Gillette's ball end Tech which, for some reason, most people claim is too small or "puny". I own an earlier MK1 Grande but can see from photos that the Piccolo handle has the same feature that a Tech ball end has, the pommel that one's thumb, index and middle finger naturally hang on to when turning the razor upside down for inverted ATG upward strokes. Just that little last ring that has been cut into the knurling is all it takes to form a stopping point. This is why I tend to prefer ball end handles (hollow or solid) over the straight walled handles like the mis-named "heavy" Tech. The fat handle Tech is lighter than the smaller ball end handle and I'm not sure but I think this is the case with the Grande/Piccolo handles as well. I like the smaller 75mm handles and often use one of my solid ball end Tech handles paired with an Old Type head. Attaching razor heads to handles that look like a piston from a B.C. ferry never appealed to me.

I got one of these, also from Connaught, a little over a week ago. I'm relatively new to DE shaving and this is my first Fatip; I have to say I'm loving it. With the OC the angle seems to come intuitively and I get a great shave quite easily. (Using Personna Israeli Reds.) With the Gentile on board I haven't quite got it happening yet, probably just my lack of technique. Well worth the price of entry for the OC alone I reckon. I haven't come across any blade alignment issue and the plating seems OK. Plus it looks beautiful.

I have had one since last week - first shave was good, but second one yesterday was not that great (in terms of irritation - not smoothness). I’m changing to a different blade to see if that makes a difference. It is a gorgeous razor though.

I didn’t buy a single razor in the two years that I stayed away from B&B. Three and a half weeks back and I’ve bought an R41, a Standard Aluminum, a Fat Boy, a Leresche and now a Piccolo Special Edition, along with 14 different types of blade to try out. I guess I’m easily led. :confused:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I didn’t buy a single razor in the two years that I stayed away from B&B. Three and a half weeks back and I’ve bought an R41, a Standard Aluminum, a Fat Boy, a Leresche and now a Piccolo Special Edition, along with 14 different types of blade to try out. I guess I’m easily led. :confused:

Welcome back. :)

EnableFatip.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Thanks (I think!). I'd like to add that I didn't stay away on purpose, just a difficult couple of years. Anyway, after seeing that Connaught had sold out, I couldn't resist pressing the buy button on Gifts and Care while I still could. I'd always wanted to try a Fatip and this one looks great.
It is great! :thumbup:

Returned to the forum recently myself too - got the Fatip Piccolo as my first purchase....more have followed since :001_07:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Returned to the forum recently myself too - got the Fatip Piccolo as my first purchase....more have followed since :001_07:

If it makes you feel any better, in my less than humble opinion, the Fatips are among the best razors ever made. :)

It certainly looks beautiful, just still figuring it out. Because I have been using longer handled razors for a few years, it feels odd going to one with a shorter handle. One thing I have found is that i don’t like my Gillette Silver blues in it, so I’m trying perma-sharp blades next.

@Cal I can't see those beautiful Shavemac handles on their site. Are the nice folks at Shavemac producing them under request only? Are they very expensive (I guess so)?

Top Bottom