What's new

Rex Supply Ambassador...

Really like the looks of this one. Expensive yes, but the cool factor is off the scale for me. Now, how do I convince my wife I need yet another razor?

I just ordered a Rex Ambassador from Bullgoose Shaving. When it arrived the adjustment ring would only turn from 1 to 4 (not to 6 as it should). Paying $250 for a razor described as "heirloom quality" and having it arrive broken is disturbing!
I sent it back the next day and am waiting for replacement (or refund), but my opinion of Rex Razors so far is that they are crap!
I take it you don't keep up with the forum that much lately!! I'm sure you'd have known better if you did...

Wow, I’m surprised at the comments lately, I would have figured it was a first batch thing that was happening but it seems whoever is inspecting these razors is not very good at their job.

I received my Rex Ambassador a month ago and I have used it 15 times. All I can share with you is my experience: The razor's finish and plate alignment are perfect; the Ambassador provides a smooth and superb shave. Awesome craftsmanship...I honestly could not be happier or more impressed with the razor. Like many of you, I read the reviews and waited for any early edition issues to be rectified. I am beyond satisfied and I look forward to many, many years of shaving enjoyment.
Personal qualifications (for what it is worth): Wet shaver for 40 years...proficient with both Straights and DE.

Mine will be arriving later this week or early next. I'm curious to see how it shaves. I bought it as it's a Gibbs no.17 replica of sorts and I like the Gibbs. I know mine is issue free, as it was inspected and used for a u-tube video by Aaron of frugal shave fame.

Mine will be arriving later this week or early next. I'm curious to see how it shaves. I bought it as it's a Gibbs no.17 replica of sorts and I like the Gibbs. I know mine is issue free, as it was inspected and used for a u-tube video by Aaron of frugal shave fame.
I know that Aaron and Matt are friends so I’m sure Matt sent Aaron a Rex with no issues so you’ll most likely be getting a good example.
In my Shave review using the a Gibbs #17 and a friend of mines Rex that had both slight alignment issues and a couple of fit and finish spots but overall it still gave what I’d call a good Shave but the Gibbs was both smoother and more efficient. At least compared to that particular Rex. Funny Aaron has one of my Gibbs and he’s doing a custom handle for me on it.
Give us an update after you have a few shaves with it. One thing I wouldn’t recommend using a Nacet blade with the Rex. I tried one on the first shave with it and it was not a good combo. Polsilver worked best for me in the Rex.
:thumbup1:

Thank you, Dragonsbeard, I always use the Polsilver on my first shave with a new razor, because this and the Feather are the only two blades I use. Having said that, I'll use the Voskhod next shave with the 17-4 because I read it's smoother than other blades on this particular razor and I'm curious to see. Usually, any other blade is not up to the job for my kind of strong facial hair but the 17-4 has efficiency galore, so this might work.
AFA the Rex is concerned, I keep my hopes up.

Thank you, Dragonsbeard, I always use the Polsilver on my first shave with a new razor, because this and the Feather are the only two blades I use. Having said that, I'll use the Voskhod next shave with the 17-4 because I read it's smoother than other blades on this particular razor and I'm curious to see. Usually, any other blade is not up to the job for my kind of strong facial hair but the 17-4 has efficiency galore, so this might work.
AFA the Rex is concerned, I keep my hopes up.
Now you have my curiosity up about the Voskhod in my 17-4 so I’ll have to try one as the Polsilver and Kai are my two current favorites in the Paradigm so far.
Also I wouldn’t worry I’m sure the Rex will be fine and if not shoot me a PM I may have a solution for you if it has any alignment issues.
Take care.

Has anyone gotten and tried the 2018 N series Rex? They were supposed to start going out last week I think. I'm curious to see if anyone is having any of the same issues on their N series as the M series had.

Last edited:
I'm jonesing to get one as a lower stress/maintenance daily replacement for my slim but am totally worried about that alignment thing. I had an email to Bullgoose after their announcement email to see if they could pre-check one for me before sending out but they never replied. Likely cause they are sold out now.

You can purchase one directly from Razor Emporium, but not sure if that puts you in a waiting list for one. I wanted to see if anyone has the new N series, before I pulled the trigger.

You can purchase one directly from Razor Emporium, but not sure if that puts you in a waiting list for one. I wanted to see if anyone has the new N series, before I pulled the trigger.
Hi, I have an "M"-4 series Ambassador, it was shipped around the 18th of December, and arrived Christmas Eve Day. Mine has no issues and is possibly my best shaver. It seemed to me that REX had worked out most, if not all the issues at that time. These are a fantastic razor. I love mine.
Peace.
Alan.

I'm jonesing to get one as a lower stress/maintenance daily replacement for my slim but am totally worried about that alignment thing. I had an email to Bullgoose after their announcement email to see if they could pre-check one for me before sending out but they never replied. Likely cause they are sold out now.

I had the same concerns but Matt reassured me that all those problems have gone. So I bought one and I expect to get it this week. I’m also looking at having it as a daily shaver.
Matt said that this last batch is the best he has seen in terms of quality. I think this razor had one or 2 bad reviews that put off most people from buying it, but surely by now it should be OK, and let’s not forget it is the ONLY SS adjustable on the market (rocnel and barbaros not really available)....

Mine is arriving tomorrow, I'll check and report, altough FrugalShave checked it for me and said it's perfect.

Just Curious about the experience you are having with your Rex Ambassador Razor. Were there any issues with the razor, especially in regards to blade alignment throughout it's range of adjustment? Have you had a chance to shave with it, and if so how did it go?

I’m really excited to hear from you guys. I’m sure he won’t allow bad razors going out in the wild like that especially now that they are being stocked by a lot of different shaving vendors. But what do I know. I just want to get my hand on one, my wallet and face is ready.

NCGent,
Mine is flawless, equal blade reveal and the settings are also true throughout. No smiles on this one. Blade loading is so snug, making it impossible for the blade to move, even on a not fully tightened top cap. Workmanship is perfect and lots of grip. Very well balanced in the hand. Great face feel. I used setting 4 and 6 for my chin hard area. One thing that impressewd me was that it would make an easy job on areas I would normally go over a few times to get a decent result.
First shave with it on a used Polsilver was smooth and uneventful. BBS in 2 passes, WTG, mixed X&ATG. It was so irritation free, I forgot to use my usual balm without my face complaining afterwards.
It's a top quality razor and I would recomment to anyone looking for a top quality SS adjustable. Matt has nailed it.
Having said all these, I have to say that when I was ordering I put in a note so the REX would be belivered to FrugalShave for a test run and a u-tube video which anyone can watch. What was astonishing about the video is that Aaron took a 2inch thick beard down on setting 6 without any drama.

Last edited:
Hi kyproset. How do you like the Rex compared to your Paradigm 17-4. I know... to some extent this is a apple to oranges comparison, but has the Rex a setting with a similarly good balance between comfort/smoothness and efficiency?

Top Bottom