What's new

Rockwell 6S: I Have Found "The One."

I am curios.

Can Rockwell 6s/6c replace a Merkur 34 or EJ de89? If yes, which plate?

As previously posted somewhere around 2 or 3 would be where the 34C equivalent is. BUT...I find R3 to be more efficient in general so I would say "2.5" for my own comparison of the two.

And for the DE89, I'd start with 2. I have a DE89 but wanted something a bit more aggressive, plate 3 is that. So I'd guess 1 or 2 would be close to the DE89. But the 6s is more forgiving than the DE89, so you might want to bump the number up.

As previously posted somewhere around 2 or 3 would be where the 34C equivalent is. BUT...I find R3 to be more efficient in general so I would say "2.5" for my own comparison of the two.
A different feel, no question. I don't have a DE89, but the 6S is more similar in feel to the DE89 clone I have, the RR MJ-90, than to the 34C. But the MJ-90 is aluminum and titanium and weighs half as much as the steel 6S.

Anyone tried a Variant (zamac head, ick I know) or FB next to this?
People who dismiss Zamac out of hand are hard to take seriously. Be that as it may, Progress and Variant more aggressive wide open, not as smooth as Rockwell. I enjoy both and plan on keeping both.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

A different feel, no question. I don't have a DE89, but the 6S is more similar in feel to the DE89 clone I have, the RR MJ-90, than to the 34C. But the MJ-90 is aluminum and titanium and weighs half as much as the steel 6S.

Yes it certainly does have a substantial heft to it.

Anyone tried a Variant (zamac head, ick I know) or FB next to this?

No question that for me while the Variant and FB can be set to levels of efficiency comparable to the 6s (or in excess of even), none of them offer the smoothness the Rockwell has given me. Literally just flawless shave after another with an unprecedented degree of forgiveness.

People who dismiss Zamac out of hand are hard to take seriously. Be that as it may, Progress and Variant more aggressive wide open, not as smooth as Rockwell. I enjoy both and plan on keeping both.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Not out of hand, I have some, I just prefer not to if I can. Thanks for your ideas on both though.

No question that for me while the Variant and FB can be set to levels of efficiency comparable to the 6s (or in excess of even), none of them offer the smoothness the Rockwell has given me. Literally just flawless shave after another with an unprecedented degree of forgiveness.

Thanks!

Hands down the Rockwell is one of the smoothest razors I own, including all three Gillette Adjustables, a former Progress (sold), New LC/SC, New, Tech (YES smoother than my ball-end Tech), and Schone. The RR Teck II is as smooth, but extremely mild and takes more work to clear off the growth. The Ikon X3 is also very smooth, but doesn't get as close as the Rockwell on plates R4+. The closes in smoothest and efficiency would be my $7 MingShi on maybe setting 4 (give or take) and below, but it is more apt to bite if you're not paying attention, especially on settings over 4.

Only issue is the smoothness can pose a problem, in that it's smooth enough you can apply pressure without realizing you're doing so. The reward though is darn good efficiency, although still a three pass shaver with pickups depending upon the blade and what form I'm in that morning. (Can't discount the human factor). Now in the mod-50s, the beard just isn't the peach fuzz it was in my 20s, when a single pass with a Bic disposable and a bit of touch-up around the mouth was all that I needed using canned foam/gel.

Indeed sir :thumbup:
well it was on to plate 4 today after shaving with plate 3 two days ago (and skipping a day in between). I got a nice close shave on my two day old stubble after a 3 pass effort. This is on a Feather blade with two prior shaves on it.

It felt like the shaver was definitely picking up whiskers that the 3 plate had not picked up as efficiently. I am beginning to form the opinion that plate 3 serves well for the daily shave while 4 is good for two day old stubble.

One thing about the Rockwell that concerns me is that the Feather blade I use needs to be aligned so that it is not slanted. There appears to be a little slop in the system. Hmm...

One thing about the Rockwell that concerns me is that the Feather blade I use needs to be aligned so that it is not slanted. There appears to be a little slop in the system. Hmm...

Do you have a picture of that issue? I have ordered a 6S that is still in the mail system as of today and I bought this particular razor because the previous Fendrihan Stainless Steel razor I had was having major alignment issue. I read a lot of great reviews online that said the Rockwell had perfect blade alignment. So I am a little confused now. :-S

Do you have a picture of that issue? I have ordered a 6S that is still in the mail system as of today and I bought this particular razor because the previous Fendrihan Stainless Steel razor I had was having major alignment issue. I read a lot of great reviews online that said the Rockwell had perfect blade alignment. So I am a little confused now. :-S

I had to align the blade twice, once each time in advance of a shave. By aligning I mean lining the edge of the blade so that it was parallel to the edge of the plate underneath. I just spent the last 5 minutes trying to replicate the problem and was successful in doing so. The plate has two posts which come through the blade equidistant from its center. There is some play between the posts and the blade i.e. I can move the blade around so that it is slanted. When I was trying to replicate the problem I had to move the blade. When I first noticed the problem, it occurred twice without any manipulation on my part. This is a subtle thing and I am not sure my photographic skills will allow me to demonstrate the issue. I have left the blade misaligned and will attempt a picture tomorrow.

I don't have a 6s and probably I can't afford it for some months. Even though if I could spent over 100 usd for a stainless steel razor, than the 6s could be very well the first option.

However there is one thing that I don't like in Rockwell 6s concept is that after all the posts I have read, the users prefer 1 or 2 types of plates. It seems to me like paying 3x more for a razor that I will be using 30% of its offering. I think that plate 3 and 4 would work for me.

Maybe Rockwell could offer the selection of plates. 2c is an option but still limited.

Just sharing my thoughts...

I had to align the blade twice, once each time in advance of a shave. By aligning I mean lining the edge of the blade so that it was parallel to the edge of the plate underneath. I just spent the last 5 minutes trying to replicate the problem and was successful in doing so. The plate has two posts which come through the blade equidistant from its center. There is some play between the posts and the blade i.e. I can move the blade around so that it is slanted. When I was trying to replicate the problem I had to move the blade. When I first noticed the problem, it occurred twice without any manipulation on my part. This is a subtle thing and I am not sure my photographic skills will allow me to demonstrate the issue. I have left the blade misaligned and will attempt a picture tomorrow.

I was correct--my photographic skills were not up to the task. I also want to clarify one thing--the posts are on the top cap and not on the plate.

Going to be trying out my first Feather blade tonight. So far, I've only had Personna Lab Blues and Astra SP's in my Rockwell so far. I've only heard wonderful things about the Feather and Rockwell, here's hoping I'm lucky enough for a smooth shave as well. :)

Top Bottom