What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I sent this photo to Fatip of my collection:

26168743_10214757102617635_2637999793858191105_n.jpg

They posted it on their Facebook page "Fatip Rasoi along with this response:

"Una bellissima collezione personale di Fatip realizzata con passione da Raven Koenes! Complimenti e grazie per la scelta".

"A beautiful personal collection of fatip made with passion by Raven Koenes! Congratulations and thank you for your choice".

They may not have responded to our inquiry into the possibility of a Fatip OC Slant, but they did like the picture of my collection. Right now I'm contemplating a polite thank you response showing my gratitude, and perhaps a hint that I'm not done collecting, and that my ultimate acquisition and prize razor, to my collection would be a 1980's Fatip.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Everyone, knows you're not nearly finished collecting. Its okay, we understand the sickness and are even down with it :)

Thanks Mike. I'm just working on achieve my Gold chip and then Platinum. My sickness has a ways to go.:a16::letterk1:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
For tomorrow's shave I'm going to start working on a two pass shave instead of my normal three. I'm curious if I can get the same results.

For tomorrow's shave I'm going to start working on a two pass shave instead of my normal three. I'm curious if I can get the same results.

Just stumbled on this thread Rave, very impressive so far! I have started trying to stick with two passes on every shave. I don’t want to get to a one pass like Mike @Esox does, a bit too BOSC for me... The two pass though is to help reduce irritation and also reduce my time shaving. I spend a lot of time shaving right now and would like to get it under ten minutes eventually. I don’t get as close of a shave, but I think this isn’t as big of an issue for me as I will shave daily once I get the two pass mastered. I also don’t go for BBS, a solid DFS is fine by me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I sent this photo to Fatip of my collection:

View attachment 850817

They posted it on their Facebook page "Fatip Rasoi along with this response:

"Una bellissima collezione personale di Fatip realizzata con passione da Raven Koenes! Complimenti e grazie per la scelta".

"A beautiful personal collection of fatip made with passion by Raven Koenes! Congratulations and thank you for your choice".

They may not have responded to our inquiry into the possibility of a Fatip OC Slant, but they did like the picture of my collection. Right now I'm contemplating a polite thank you response showing my gratitude, and perhaps a hint that I'm not done collecting, and that my ultimate acquisition and prize razor, to my collection would be a 1980's Fatip.

BOSC Official Celebrity.jpg

Now that you're an OIFC, maybe they'll listen to you as our Fatip Slant Advocate.

Congratulations.

Do your have a European title yet? I don't want to offend you with the wrong form of address, Sir Rave. Er, Lord Rave. Er, Your Grace. Which is it?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

One pass WTG/XTG, especially since you're a steep angle shaver, and then ATG should be easy. Starting ATG for me is pretty easy I admit, but after a WTG/XTG pass its a lot easier. You'll see.

These Fatip heads are so rigid and so efficient 'reduction' is far less important than it is with other razors. Even the NEW SC as rigid as it is, it has gap and it lacks the blade exposure. For me starting directly ATG with it, it still takes me the same 2 1/2 passes. They're just all done ATG and each pass reduces the stubble until I get the BBS finish I want. The NEW SC takes smaller bites because its less efficient.

From what I gather this is why with SE razors, and especially the AC blades, direction of shave is less important. The razor and the blade are both so rigid and the efficiency of them is so high, it matters less which direction you shave in. The only thing being for myself as I like that BBS finish, I'd still need to shave ATG or it will never happen...I dont think.

With the right tools which you have, and the right technique which you will have if you stay with it, you'd be surprised how easy and how comfortable it can be.

Try it. If you find it uncomfortable or a bit to...much, try shallower. Try making that razor act and feel like an air hockey puck. You cant do that steep. Once you find the angle to shave like that, its astonishing how easy it actually is.

If you shallow the angle out and the blade starts to tug, up your blade choice. Just remember, when you shave shallow, especially with a Gillette Yellow as smooth as they are, you really dont feel much, if anything, so the only feedback you get might be red lol.

Someone other than me must be able to shave directly ATG first pass buffing. I cannot be the only one that does, but its okay if I am :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I don’t want to get to a one pass like Mike @Esox does, a bit too BOSC for me...

I'm not sure its possible to do with any other DE than a Fatip. It certainly isnt for me of the razors I own. I can shave directly ATG first pass with any of them I believe, but the more inefficient the razor the more difficult the shave will become.

I'm sure I can do it with my Tech, but to what end? My NEW SC is 2 1/2 passes regardless the direction of my first pass. My Tech is 5-6 passes, and I'm sure that would remain a constant no matter the starting direction. The milder and more inefficient the razor is, the more passes it will take to get to the same point. I want the BBS finish as quickly, easily and comfortably as I can get it. The less time the razor is on my skin the better.

If you could shave ATG buffing first pass, and do it comfortably to the point of not even feeling you had shaved, why wouldnt you want to do just that?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Just stumbled on this thread Rave, very impressive so far! I have started trying to stick with two passes on every shave. I don’t want to get to a one pass like Mike @Esox does, a bit too BOSC for me... The two pass though is to help reduce irritation and also reduce my time shaving. I spend a lot of time shaving right now and would like to get it under ten minutes eventually. I don’t get as close of a shave, but I think this isn’t as big of an issue for me as I will shave daily once I get the two pass mastered. I also don’t go for BBS, a solid DFS is fine by me.
Joel, so nice of you to drop in! Thank you for liking my page and the bit I'm doing to keep craziness alive. I don't strive for BBS either. I just like how much longer a three pass shave takes. The thing is I started getting so good at it it's BBS all the time. You get kind of addicted to that feel. The other thing is that most of the time my shaves are so good that I wand to shave eight days a week instead of five. Then there are those weeks where by the fifth day I know my face needs a break. The feel of the need to take a break by the end of the week happens far too often, so I'm thinking of taking it back to the basics, caring about comfort over closeness, and with some skill I've acquired the results should be pretty good with a two pass shave. I think will get better results than previous attempts. We shall see. Right now I'm getting as good a shave with my Gentile as I do with my Grande with exactly the same amount of work. I'll see where the two pass takes me with the Gentile before I step up to the Mk1 Piccolo. I know I will have to tame that beast, and by the looks of how much blade shows on the Mk1 less will definitely be better.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
One pass WTG/XTG, especially since you're a steep angle shaver, and then ATG should be easy. Starting ATG for me is pretty easy I admit, but after a WTG/XTG pass its a lot easier. You'll see. :)
Great minds think alike! That's totally the approach I was going to take! :001_smile

If you could shave ATG buffing first pass, and do it comfortably to the point of not even feeling you had shaved, why wouldnt you want to do just that?

Joel, so nice of you to drop in! Thank you for liking my page and the bit I'm doing to keep craziness alive. I don't strive for BBS either. I just like how much longer a three pass shave takes. The thing is I started getting so good at it it's BBS all the time. You get kind of addicted to that feel. The other thing is that most of the time my shaves are so good that I wand to shave eight days a week instead of five. Then there are those weeks where by the fifth day I know my face needs a break. The feel of the need to take a break by the end of the week happens far too often, so I'm thinking of taking it back to the basics, caring about comfort over closeness, and with some skill I've acquired the results should be pretty good with a two pass shave. I think will get better results than previous attempts. We shall see. Right now I'm getting as good a shave with my Gentile as I do with my Grande with exactly the same amount of work. I'll see where the two pass takes me with the Gentile before I step up to the Mk1 Piccolo. I know I will have to tame that beast, and by the looks of how much blade shows on the Mk1 less will definitely be better.

I wish I could get a BBS, but I pay for it in ingrown hairs. I have been close a few times, and really do like the feeling. I'm finding that going ATG causes ingrowns quite readily with my current setup, and BBS isn't possible for me without going ATG. I'll leave it at that, as I'm going to write up a lengthy post in my own journal about it and don't want to derail yours further :whistling:.

I have also found that my face needs a break if I am too aggressive too many days in a row. If I do a 3 pass shave, my face tells me and I will definitely notice it on my next shave. I love shaving daily, but my face doesn't agree with me on that. I tend to do a 2 pass shave now, so I will be watching your experimentation with interest!

Right now I'm contemplating a polite thank you response showing my gratitude, and perhaps a hint that I'm not done collecting, and that my ultimate acquisition and prize razor, to my collection would be a 1980's Fatip.
And of course you have at least one friend with the same desire. :001_smile

Nudge nudge :wink2: :wink2:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
View attachment 850846

Now that you're an OIFC, maybe they'll listen to you as our Fatip Slant Advocate.

Congratulations.

Do your have a European title yet? I don't want to offend you with the wrong form of address, Sir Rave. Er, Lord Rave. Er, Your Grace. Which is it?

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim, I assure you I'm the same old humble guy you've come to know. Rave Esquire (traditional meaning) will do quite fine.
I wish I could get a BBS, but I pay for it in ingrown hairs. I have been close a few times, and really do like the feeling. I'm finding that going ATG causes ingrowns quite readily with my current setup, and BBS isn't possible for me without going ATG. I'll leave it at that, as I'm going to write up a lengthy post in my own journal about it and don't want to derail yours further :whistling:.

I have also found that my face needs a break if I am too aggressive too many days in a row. If I do a 3 pass shave, my face tells me and I will definitely notice it on my next shave. I love shaving daily, but my face doesn't agree with me on that. I tend to do a 2 pass shave now, so I will be watching your experimentation with interest!
Joel, please send a link to your journal. :001_smile

Raven Koenes

My precious!
And of course you have at least one friend with the same desire. :001_smile

Nudge nudge :wink2: :wink2:
Cal, we shaving crazies have to stick together. It seems like a long shot so why not go for two? I will try my absolute best my friend. :wink2:

Cal, we shaving crazies have to stick together. It seems like a long shot so why not go for two? I will try my absolute best my friend. :wink2:
:thumbup:
:laugh:
Just hope I can get a line on some.
:yesnod:

I remember keeping my eyes peeled for a Knockout. On the odd occasions that they did appear, they always went for more than I was prepared to pay. Then one guy started selling LOTS (but one at a time). Interest started dying so I managed to get mine for a nice price. He was into antiques, but didn't know much about razors. He must have happened across a shipper full of them (lucky fella).
upload_2018-1-9_2-52-36.png

Top Bottom