What's new

Supply: The Single Edge V2!

I have been seeing glowing reviews popping up around YouTube over the Supply Single Edge Razor and decided to jump right in. After some okay shaves on the "Classic" mid setting plate, I went to the aggressive plate and have had consistently excellent shaves. Unlike the Personna blues that I have been struggling with to get a not irritating DE shave with, the Supply branded Personna injector blades are smooth and sharp!

This is my first foray into the SE world, and I am curious how classic injectors and GEM razors compare to The Single Edge. I suppose the adjustability of the Supply razor makes it a bit of a moving target.

In the meantime, I am looking forward to seeing the price point on the Phoenix Starling SE 7075 Aluminum GEM Type Razor tomorrow.

Oh... and is there a cure for RAD?

As a lifelong fan of injector razors, I own the entire Schick alphabet plus most of the PAL and Personna injectors. It was with some trepidation that I ordered my Supply injector razor. I wasn't sure how a heavy, stainless steel modern razor would compare with my vintage favorites. I confess that I'm pleasantly surprised with the Supply razor, and even with the Personna blades. The weight took some getting used to, but now that I'm familiar with the razor, I'm quite satisfied. The only criticism that I can offer is that I wish the handle were textured. I find it to be slippery when wet and soapy. Otherwise, I have no criticisms of the razor and consider it a good investment.

In the meantime, I am looking forward to seeing the price point on the Phoenix Starling SE 7075 Aluminum GEM Type Razor tomorrow.

$39,99, with two base plates.

As a lifelong fan of injector razors, I own the entire Schick alphabet plus most of the PAL and Personna injectors. It was with some trepidation that I ordered my Supply injector razor. I wasn't sure how a heavy, stainless steel modern razor would compare with my vintage favorites. I confess that I'm pleasantly surprised with the Supply razor, and even with the Personna blades. The weight took some getting used to, but now that I'm familiar with the razor, I'm quite satisfied. The only criticism that I can offer is that I wish the handle were textured. I find it to be slippery when wet and soapy. Otherwise, I have no criticisms of the razor and consider it a good investment.

I was a little disappointed with my first shaves I got with the Supply V2, with the medium plate, having been very keen on the Schick type E I had been using. They felt a bit rough, and not quite as close as I'd been experiencing with the Schick. However, I've now got used to the weight and like it a lot. It's not quite as easy to manoeuvre as the much lighter Schick, but has a charm of its own once mastered.

Reactions: JSW
The medium plate is mild, the proper shaving angle is to be learned, and putting the first injector blade in might also go wrong if it drags on the posts. You probably already know this!

I am on my 5th shave with the current blade on plate 3, and it is amazing!

I really like mine, I prefer to use the aggressive plate with the Chinese Schick blades. To me they are smoother and more forgiving.

Reactions: JSW
I have the V1 and never felt the need to buy the V2 because I have no problems with it. It never fails to give me a BBS on plate 3. Before I used to shave with the E4 and loved the smoothness, hated the lightness, YMMV of course, the SP V1 though is perfect on a Proline B-20, smoother than any other blade I have ever used. I use the prolines on my SE's as well. Those are the P-30's.

When the Supply Provision 2.0 was announced, Patrick made a point of saying that he had heard from a lot of folks that they'd like something even more aggressive than the #3 plate on the 1.0, but that he'd decided not to do that. Instead, he said he was tweaking the head to make it more "efficient" but not more "aggressive." I'm not sure exactly what geometry change was made to get a more efficient razor that was not more aggressive.

Anyway, I like the 1.0 well enough on the #3 plate, but I was one of those hoping for a more aggressive plate. I'd be curious to try the 2.0, but I like the 1.0 well enough that I'm not going to lay out coin for the 2.0. It really is a beautifully designed and manufactured razor.

If the V2 is as efficient on plate 3 but smoother, I'm in. This RAD is really a bad thing. It blows off retirement savings.

When the Supply Provision 2.0 was announced, Patrick made a point of saying that he had heard from a lot of folks that they'd like something even more aggressive than the #3 plate on the 1.0, but that he'd decided not to do that. Instead, he said he was tweaking the head to make it more "efficient" but not more "aggressive." I'm not sure exactly what geometry change was made to get a more efficient razor that was not more aggressive.

Anyway, I like the 1.0 well enough on the #3 plate, but I was one of those hoping for a more aggressive plate. I'd be curious to try the 2.0, but I like the 1.0 well enough that I'm not going to lay out coin for the 2.0. It really is a beautifully designed and manufactured razor.

____

On my V1 (Matte), I had perceived that the 3-dot head was (sometimes) not sufficiently aggressive. It was very good, but it tended to leave some "spare-slag" with a 3-day growth of my Viking-like, wire-beard. [[One of my other favorite razors is the El Jefe, and switching from milder to the aggressive modes.]]

So, I elected to grind-off a small portion of the bottom of the blade guard, and also brought-down the height of the protruding blade rests, albeit slightly. [Specifically, I ran it across a decent file for about 10 minutes, checking as I went. So, actually very little metal was removed.] As expected, this metal removal technique functioned to expose more of the blade edge. It is now one of the best razors in existence!

I have another V1 (Polished), which I left, as-is, for comparison.

I also have the Matte Black V2 -- and, to respond to your quaere -- the difference from the V1 is that the bottom of the blade guard has already been "ground-off", a bit -- so I didn't have to remove anything. It, too, is a great razor.

BMWlaw

I also have the Matte Black V2 -- and, to respond to your quaere -- the difference from the V1 is that the bottom of the blade guard has already been "ground-off", a bit -- so I didn't have to remove anything. It, too, is a great razor.

Interesting. Thanks. I just looked on the Supply Co. website, and they sell the V2 one- and three-dot plates separately for $29. I might check that out, though I have no use for the one-dot plate. Can I assume that the V2 plates are interchangeable with those of the V1?

I have the V1 and it’s ok. What’s better in the V2 , aside from the optional finishes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From everything I have read, V2, while an improvement, isn't enough to warrant the purchase unless you have the money to blow.

So I’ve just acquired a v1 with revised v2 plates.
What are the physical differences between v1 and v2?
And what are the differences in the shave?

I know there were problems with the v1 baseplates and blade loading, but is the v2 supposed to be smoother?
Is this like the R41 and the Alumigoose where v2 is gentler and better behaved?

A comparison shave shows little difference in performance.

Hmm yes! I saw that video and he doesn’t really say much although it is clear what good razors they both are.

So apart from the revised baseplates that actually fit properly and the shorter blade stops are there any physical differences in the razors?

Hmm yes! I saw that video and he doesn’t really say much although it is clear what good razors they both are.

So apart from the revised baseplates that actually fit properly and the shorter blade stops are there any physical differences in the razors?
Another difference is the finish on the new razors and the manufacturing process. V2 is made using MIM like the Rockwell 6s. I don’t know how the first one was made but they were having quality problems at first. As far as I am concerned they both shave the same.

Top Bottom