What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

This Probak! The design on the baseplate caught my fancy when I saw it in an antique store. Apparently Probak released quite a few variations of this razor. Not sure how it shaves, yet- I'll keep you posted!

p1.jpg
p2.jpg
p3.jpg
p4.jpg

Also have a Gillette Mono Tech on the way. Made in Brazil- looks like a mashup between a 40's and flare-tip Superspeed.
monon.jpg

This Probak! The design on the baseplate caught my fancy when I saw it in an antique store. Apparently Probak released quite a few variations of this razor. Not sure how it shaves, yet- I'll keep you posted!

View attachment 833471 View attachment 833470 View attachment 833469 View attachment 833468

Also have a Gillette Mono Tech on the way. Made in Brazil- looks like a mashup between a 40's and flare-tip Superspeed.
View attachment 833472

That Probak base plate looks similar to some of the Gillette New Goodwill base plates, neat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be very interested to read a Probak-shaving report!

They are good shavers, I have one that's the equal of my SC New.

The Probak (Auto Strop)/Gillette story and how King Gillette lost his company to Auto Strop's Henry Jacques Gaisman is fascinating. In a nutshell, Gillette planned to introduce a new blade design and sunk a fortune into the project only to discover that Gaisman had designed and patented a similar blade. The Probak blade was designed to fit a variety of then-current DE razors, while Gillette's new blade would only fit their new razor. Gillette couldn't defend a patent infringement case in court so they offered to buy Auto Strop, which they did after Gaisman engineered a merger at very advantageous terms. King Gillette and his team were ousted. Gaisman took a seat on the Gillette board of Directors and, after discovering financial irregularities, was asked to take over as President.

They are good shavers, I have one that's the equal of my SC New.

The Probak (Auto Strop)/Gillette story and how King Gillette lost his company to Auto Strop's Henry Jacques Gaisman is fascinating. In a nutshell, Gillette planned to introduce a new blade design and sunk a fortune into the project only to discover that Gaisman had designed and patented a similar blade. The Probak blade was designed to fit a variety of then-current DE razors, while Gillette's new blade would only fit their new razor. Gillette couldn't defend a patent infringement case in court so they offered to buy Auto Strop, which they did after Gaisman engineered a merger at very advantageous terms. King Gillette and his team were ousted. Gaisman took a seat on the Gillette board of Directors and, after discovering financial irregularities, was asked to take over as President.

Great history lesson, very interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the best co-workers. They look out for razors for me and occasionally pick one up for me. And I'm the only male in my office. That makes it better. I came in today with two razors on my desk. However, I can't identify them. Does anyone know what these are? It says pa apl'd 1913. It's made of very light medal. Thanks
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Graydog

Biblical Innards
1939 Popular No47 England.JPG
Holy Moly...that is exceptional. The British Aristocrats are beautiful, works of art with that barber pole knurling.

Congratulations!
No No NO , That is a British Gillette Popular. I should have said something about the case being not proper

Just got a nice looking blue tip today.
20171030_172724.jpg
Here it is with the set I've been slowly accumulating.

20171030_172743.jpg
I have a soft spot for superspeeds. There's so many to get a hold of!
20171030_172850.jpg

Top Bottom