What's new

The Vintage Gillette Aristocrat

My two. In fact, I used my UK Aristocrat today and got a great shave. Two of my favorite razors.

full

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm curious about the British Razors. Do the Brit Rocket and the Brit Aristocrat, given they're both the same years, use the same heads? Specifically, the British 48-53 Rocket and 48 and up Aristocrat, are they the same head? Are they also the same head as the US SS/Aristocrat counterparts?

From what I can gather looking at pictures they appear to be, but I'm curious about any design differences regarding blade gap ect.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
If you try hard enough you may find one with a date code like this 1951

full

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Anybody have the Old Type Bell handle Aristocrat ? (picture thanks to mr.razor)
check out those prices
1916 Aristocrat bell tube handle.JPG

Not sure if I'm just having a senior moment, but what set name or number did this come in?
Head is like a No.16 but don't recall ever seeing this handle on it.

:lol:

It's the rarest of all the Aristocrats! I Frankenrazored it! It was an Aristocrat Jr, I swapped handles with a Rocket HD.

34' on left and deluxe 36' on right

View attachment 797742
Brother Steward,

1. What does the flatter '34 translate to regarding performance?

Slightly more aggression, slightly narrower window to find the "sweet spot," and a need to slightly raise the handle would be my guess. What do you say? (I have a '36, but have never shaved with a '34.)

2. How do the shaves compare between the '34 and the '36? Which do you prefer, and why?

Brother Steward,

1. What does the flatter '34 translate to regarding performance? Slightly more aggression, slightly narrower window to find the "sweet spot," and a need to slightly raise the handle would be my guess. What do you say? (I have a '36, but have never shaved with a '34.)

2. How do the shaves compare between the '34 and the '36? Which do you prefer, and why?

To be honest I had the toughest time with both of these. Neither were enjoyable for me for the longest time. I ended up trading the 34' for a Wade and Butcher straight. Since then I have learned that I need a fairly steep angle, handle pointing more towards the floor, to get a good shave. So unfortunately I can't fairly compare the two. But I will say from reading some other posts that I don't think there is a huge difference.

Top Bottom