What's new

Gillette "Ivory" case from 1914. Top needs re-attaching

I have a Gillette Aristocrat bell razor and "Ivory" case, I believe they are from 1914, The top of the case became detached from the bottom.
There is a rotating section on the back or the case's top half. It looks as if this rotating section is glued to the bottom half.

I have another such case and it does look as if it is glued in place. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of glue works best with this faux ivory?
The ivory is probably celluloid. That was a popular plastic at the time.

I've attached 3 pictures showing the problem area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_8289.jpeg
    IMG_8289.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8290.jpeg
    IMG_8290.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8291.jpeg
    IMG_8291.jpeg
    973.6 KB · Views: 18
If you can't get an answer here, you might try sites about old radio restoration. I know cabinets were made in catalin and bakelite, maybe some early ones were also made with celluloid cabinets.

Thanks to both of you, and thanks luvmusuper for the suggestion of super glue. I was just looking at a few suggestions on fountain pen sites. (another hobby of mine) and the suggestions are pretty much the same. Super glue might be the best choice since acetone will melt the celluloid, forming a weld. But you are correct, a lot can go wrong with that.

I had to write back with the results.
I went to the hardware store and finially decided on the Loctite-Plastics type of a super glue. It has 2 parts, 1 part is applied to the 2 edges to be glued. You let that sit for 60 seconds. Then you apply the 2nd part. It said to apply to only 1 of the 2 surfaces, but for one of the case sides that was not completely detached, that was impossible. So both edges got the glue.

It really worked well. The cover which was detached was cleaned up and is now working perfectly. For the 2nd case which mearly had a loose side, the glue is holding so that it looks like there was never a problem

I'll include pictures. The Loctite-plastic solved my problem

Attachments

• IMG_8355.jpeg
    IMG_8355.jpeg
    606.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8356.jpeg
    IMG_8356.jpeg
    641.8 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom