What's new

How about top 5 Bourbons under $25.00?

I've never really had bourbon before, but after trying Mama Bear Whiskey Cream and loving it, decided to give it a try. LOL
I picked up some Buffalo Trace a couple weeks ago for 19.99 and have really been enjoying it. Based on this thread it looks like I made a good choice. :)

Oh yes you made a great choice. Now get some quality sweet vermouth, say Dolin, some good marachino cherries, I like Tillen Farms and along with some bitters (Fee Brothers orange is very good) make some killer Manhattans!

2 oz Bourbon
1 oz sweet vermouth
2 dashes bitters
1 cherry

Add bitters to a shaker filled with about 6-8 ice cubes. Add the bourbon and vermouth.

Shake about 20 shakes, strain into a cocktail glass, add a cherry.

To make it even better, replace the bourbon with Rye!

Just picked up a bottle of Wellers Antique 107 for $24 and change today. Never had it before today and I gotta say that I am quite fond of it.

I'm up in Canada. Our liquor taxes are ludicrous. I can't even make up a list of the top 5 not even decent bourbons under $25.

Reading through this thread again (I'm in KY and am stocking up on bourbons that are tougher to find in MN.) Saw this and was immediately reminded of the Corb Lund song Hurtin Albertan the lyric goes "Too much oil money, not enough booze"

I picked up my first ever bottle of bourbon today. Buffalo Trace, had a little blurb from Jim Murray on it, and I vaguely recall reading about it here.
Will christen it tomorrow.

Christened the Buffalo Trace last night.
Maybe it was unfair to have it right after some Ardbeg, but it seemed rather palatable.
Some of the aromas seemed a little scarily industrial and artificial, but I think I can get over it.

I find it a little hard to believe that Woodford Reserve can be found for under $25 in 2015. Personally, I've never seen it for less than the low $30s, and I consider under $35 a bargain. Never seen Eagle Rare for under $30, either. And those posters who are naming $70 bottles just need to start another thread. That said, here are my picks:

• Elijah Craig 12. Normally $25-30 around here (and an absolute steal at that price), for the last couple of months it's been $21-22, which is ridiculously cheap for a bourbon of this age and quality. That's a couple bucks less that Jack Daniels #7! I'm afraid, though, that the reason it's so cheap is because they're trying to clear out the remaining stock of bottles with the 12 year age statement on the front. For now, they've moved it to the back, which is probably the prelude to removing it entirely and using younger whiskey. Get it while you can; it's the best bargain in bourbon for now.
  • Buffalo Trace. Generally around $24, and just good tasting bourbon.
  • Knob Creek. Normally around $32, but I catch it now and then on sale around $24-25. 9-year-old Jim Beam.
  • Evan Williams white label. Bottled in bond, 100 proof, and a great deal at around $14. Definitely the best sub-$20 deal. One or two ice cubes tames its strength.
  • Four Roses Small Batch. Sometimes I find it for sale at $24-25, but usually around $30. Very tasty.

Wild Turkey 101 (best value in the whiskey world, IMO)
Elijah Craig 12 (probably slightly over $25)
Larceny (delicious and a much better alternative to Maker's for a wheater IMO. To me, Maker's is too sweet and syrupy)
Buffalo Trace (classic, straight forward)

I want to know where guys are getting Knob Creek and Woodford for $25 lol.
If you increase the limit by $5 or $10 to $35 you really open up the bourbon "sweet spot." So many good bourbons between $30-$35

Just discovered Henry Mckenna 10 year single barrel for $24.99. Its very good! Great bargain for a 10 year single barrel.

Oh yes you made a great choice. Now get some quality sweet vermouth, say Dolin, some good marachino cherries, I like Tillen Farms and along with some bitters (Fee Brothers orange is very good) make some killer Manhattans!

2 oz Bourbon
1 oz sweet vermouth
2 dashes bitters
1 cherry

Add bitters to a shaker filled with about 6-8 ice cubes. Add the bourbon and vermouth.

Shake about 20 shakes, strain into a cocktail glass, add a cherry.

To make it even better, replace the bourbon with Rye!
Try drinking your whisky neat, so that you can actually taste the craftsmanship.

Try drinking your whisky neat, so that you can actually taste the craftsmanship.

Oh I do drink it neat, most of the time. In addition to Bourbon, I really like Ardbeg, with just a few drops of water.

There are times that a nice Manhattan fits the bill. I prefer to use Evan Williams BIB, as the 100 proof holds its own. :)

Telling others how to enjoy their liquor is so pompous. Doubly so when the subject at hand is "cheap" liquors.

Anyway:
I'm a hop, skip, and a jump away from the KY bourbon distilleries. I grew up with it being the default liquor choice when you wanted cheap high-octane booze. Bourbon is my liquor of choice.
Typically, if I'm going to be mixing bourbon for cocktails I don't want to use some expensive single-barrel or whatever. I definitely go for the <$20 a bottle territory.
My go-to choices for a cheapy are: Jim Beam black label, Wild Turkey, and Ancient Age.

Ancient Age is bottom-shelf cheap, but is remarkably good. It's not as layered or complex as a lot of the higher end stuff, but sometimes you don't need to analyze every drink you take, you just want to enjoy a rip of booze. I like it straight with a few cubes of ice in it when I just want a quick couple of fingers of booze. As a mixer it's a no-brainer.
Ancient Age is from the Buffalo Trace distillery, and I find that I like most everything coming from them.

Top Bottom