What's new

How about top 5 Bourbons under $25.00?

I'm up in Canada. Our liquor taxes are ludicrous. I can't even make up a list of the top 5 not even decent bourbons under $25.

Last edited:
I agree on Dickel 12. I found it to be very good, and enjoy it more than Buffalo Trace. I wouldn't say it's from the wrong state though. Remember that bourbon can be made anywhere. It's just Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey that can only be made in Kentucky. :)

Touche!

Old Weller Antique 107
Old Forester 100 proof
Wild Turkey 101
Elijah Craig 12
Buffalo Trace

You can get some really nice bourbons in the $20-30 price range. No need to spend more unless you want to, IMHO.

Last edited:
Old Weller Antique 107
Old Forester 100 proof
Wild Turkey 101
Elijah Craig 12
Buffalo Trace

You can get some really nice bourbons in the $20-30 price range. No need to spend more unless you want to, IMHO.
Great choices. I'd be plenty fine being served anything off your list. And I'm with you on this: there are some fine bourbons at this price point. While some of the offerings further up the price ladder are certainly great, somewhere around $25 (Oregon prices) is the point of diminishing returns, IMO. I would be right with you in including the Weller 107 and EC on my list, but alas these are over the $25 limit here in Oregon. But, they're still under $30, so fine values nonetheless.

I've been on a bit of a Justified kick this week, coinciding with the end of the series, and I've been enjoying seeing the different bourbons the characters drink. I've liked bourbon for a long time--in high school and college I drank a lot of Jim Beam and Jack Daniel's green (not a bourbon, I know)--and in the past couple of years I've become acquainted with Evan Williams white label and Bulleit. I'm too much of a cheapskate to make a regular habit of the higher end bourbons routinely mentioned (and frequently seen on Justified), but I do want to expand my horizons. I found this thread interesting. So while my wife and kids are traveling and with a weekend off, I have bottles of Old Grand-dad 80 proof and 114 proof in front of me. I like the first, with it's high rye component to the mash bill, but the 114 proof is OUTSTANDING, especially for $21 per bottle. I'm looking forward to continuing this study.

Current favorite is OGD BIB 100 proof, I like the 114 proof also but the 100 proof is less expensive and has a better flavor IMO.
Four Roses SB is also great but about $5 more than the OGD.
Jim Beam Black is very good, about the same price as OGD BIB.

I am still trying others.

Great choices. I'd be plenty fine being served anything off your list. And I'm with you on this: there are some fine bourbons at this price point. While some of the offerings further up the price ladder are certainly great, somewhere around $25 (Oregon prices) is the point of diminishing returns, IMO. I would be right with you in including the Weller 107 and EC on my list, but alas these are over the $25 limit here in Oregon. But, they're still under $30, so fine values nonetheless.
Right there with ya on the Oregon prices. But I can certainly say that those prices are better than paying the Washington liquor taxes!!

Needed to add a few faves of mine now that I've had a good few.
Woodford reserve
George dickel 8
Buffalo trace

Loved the woody Taste of the Woodford, but I am really enjoying the George dickel bourbons

Another recommendation for Buffalo Trace. Visit the distillery in Frankfort, KY if you get a chance.

Also best buys IMHO -

Very Old Barton
Fighting ****
Jim Beam Black
Four Roses Small Batch
W.L. Weller
Evan Williams 1783
Old Granddad BOB

I've never really had bourbon before, but after trying Mama Bear Whiskey Cream and loving it, decided to give it a try. LOL
I picked up some Buffalo Trace a couple weeks ago for 19.99 and have really been enjoying it. Based on this thread it looks like I made a good choice. :)

Top Bottom