What's new

How about top 5 Bourbons under $25.00?

My friend and I have been compiling a list of our top 5 under $25.00 bottles. (750ml)

This is my current list:

OGD114
Pure Kentucky XO
Virgina Gentleman
W.L. Wellers
Bulleit

I struggled with the Bulleit because I think OGD 100 bonded and OGD 90 is better but I already had the 114 up there. OGD114 is really my favorite all around Bourbon but my daily pour lately has been OGD 90 in the 1.75liter. What do you think? Am I missing out on something that you think should be there?

Please note: I post on Bourbon Enthusiast also and I posted this same question there too.

Interesting. I enjoy Bourbon and Scotch, but haven't had the opportunity to try all of those on your list. I have had the OGD, WLW, and Bulleit, which are all good. Of these, I am probably partial to the W.L. Wellers as it was one of the first to get me hooked on Bourbon. It looks like you gravitate toward the higher proof and more obscure brands, but I also enjoy the more well-known Bourbons:

-Buffalo Trace
-Eagle Rare
-Four Roses Small Batch
-Woodford Reserve
-Maker's Mark

i bought a bottle of Knob creek -9yr old when i was in New York last year simply because i got very schoolboy, giggling about the word Knob:001_rolle
but when i got home and started drinking it i really liked it, spicy,sweet and smokey taste and smooth to drink, so my tops would be
1,Knob creek:lol:
2,Jack Daniels silver select
3,Wild Turkey

Reactions: Avi
Don't forget about 1792 (ridgemont reserve) Quite tasty, and for the $16.99 I'm finding it for at my local liquor store, cheap enough to even mix if need be.

Interesting. I enjoy Bourbon and Scotch, but haven't had the opportunity to try all of those on your list. I have had the OGD, WLW, and Bulleit, which are all good. Of these, I am probably partial to the W.L. Wellers as it was one of the first to get me hooked on Bourbon. It looks like you gravitate toward the higher proof and more obscure brands, but I also enjoy the more well-known Bourbons:

-Buffalo Trace
-Eagle Rare
-Four Roses Small Batch
-Woodford Reserve
-Maker's Mark

You're right, I enjoy proofs in the 90's and above. I like Eagle Rare and Four Roses and Woodford is absolutely my favorite all rounder. It just doesn't fall into my under $25 category. If we're talking favorite Bourbons no matter the price, that's a different story.

Top five over $25 Category:

William Larue Weller
Vintage Bourbon 17YO
Noah's Mill
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
Woodford Reserve

(Blanton's and Willet fall in there sometimes depending on my mood or state of mind:a54:)

I admit that my over $25 list might be lacking but I don't regularly purchase expensive bottles so my TOP 25 list is ever changing...

Don't forget about 1792 (ridgemont reserve) Quite tasty, and for the $16.99 I'm finding it for at my local liquor store, cheap enough to even mix if need be.

Haven't tried Ridgemnont Reserve. That's why I started this post, to get ideas:w00t:

In order of preference, YMMV:

Woodford Reserve
Elmer T. Lee SB 90
Old Grand Dad 114
Bulleit
Wild Turkey 101

IMHO, these are all a great sipping bourbons - at a very good price point.

In order of preference, YMMV:

Woodford Reserve
Elmer T. Lee SB 90
Old Grand Dad 114
Bulleit
Wild Turkey 101

IMHO, these are all a great sipping bourbons - at a very good price point.

OGD114 is really my favorite cheap Bourbon. For $22.00 a fantastic bargain. It might be off putting to some with that proof but an extra ice cube will do wonders. I love that stuff.

I really like Bourbons with a high rye mashbill...You can probably tell by my selections. Not a big WT101 fan (too haylike or grassy for me) but WT101 Rye is probably my favorite run of the mill Ryes.

OGD114 is really my favorite cheap Bourbon. For $22.00 a fantastic bargain. It might be off putting to some with that proof but an extra ice cube will do wonders. I love that stuff.

I'm with you on the OGD - it doesn't taste cheap in any way. Give the Elmer T Lee a try, too - I bet you like it.

You are exactly right about the ice cube. I prefer most bourbons neat, but w/a higher proof version like the OGD, I add one small cube. It cools it down just enough and adds exactly the right amount of water.

I'm surprised you don't like WT 101 if you prefer the rye mashbill.....

In no particular order:
Buffalo Trace (I DO put this one at the top of my <$25 list though)
1792 Ridgemont Reserve
Maker's Mark (it's good but not great)
Knob Creek
Woodford Reserve (whne on sale)

My all-time favorite though is Noah's Mill...114 proof cask strength, beautiful nose (caramel, leather, florals), smooth as glass, and exciting complexity and unsurpassed mellowness for such a high proof.

Last edited:
Right now I'm enjoying my new favorite, Pappy Van Winkle's family reserve 20yr. I won't say what I paid. Its embarrassing:blushing:, but man this stuff is good.:tongue_sm

My other favorites are:
Four Roses Small Batch (~$40)
Old Pouge Master Select(~$40)
Rowan's Creek(~$35)
Evan Williams Single Barrel(~$25)

X2 on the VanWinkle! Wonderful stuff!

I've also become a fan of the Evan Williams. It is surprisingly good and one of the true bargains.

Right now I'm enjoying my new favorite, Pappy Van Winkle's family reserve 20yr. I won't say what I paid. Its embarrassing:blushing:, but man this stuff is good.:tongue_sm

My other favorites are:
Four Roses Small Batch (~$40)
Old Pouge Master Select(~$40)
Rowan's Creek(~$35)
Evan Williams Single Barrel(~$25)

That PVW20 ain't cheap, that's for sure...nice score!
Your other choices are all awesome too, but don't count for the under $25 criteria, lol.

And where the hell did you find Rowan's Creek for $35? Shop online at that price? If you like that stuff, you probably would love the Noah's Mill...same distillery, but higher proof like I said, and I find the NM to be smoother and more evenly rounded.

Without a doubt, the best bourbon under 25 smackers IMHO is Jim Beam Distillers Series. It intrigued me after I read a review on it then found it on sale for $23. Absolutely amazing. It can definitely hold its own with the over $25 crowd.

Other good cheapos of mine:
Makers Mark
Four Roses
Jim Beam Black ain't half bad
Eagle Rare 10 yr when it's on sale

Evan Williams Single Barrel is very good but usually right around $30.

Gents I can't really add much here for I rarely taste(1-3 drinks a year usually on occasions such as my anniversary). But when I do taste I prefer a bourboun but what I find amusing is this years ago I worked in an ABC store and some of these brands I've never seen. Sure Knob's Creek, Old Grandad, Makers Mark and Wild Turkey are familiar ones to me. So I may be making a list of what is not familiar because my 23rd anniversary will be here on May 2nd so I might be trying a new to me drink.

That PVW20 ain't cheap, that's for sure...nice score!
Your other choices are all awesome too, but don't count for the under $25 criteria, lol.

And where the hell did you find Rowan's Creek for $35? Shop online at that price? If you like that stuff, you probably would love the Noah's Mill...same distillery, but higher proof like I said, and I find the NM to be smoother and more evenly rounded.

Sorry about blowing the $25 limit. I can't help it.:001_rolle

I got the Rowan's at a shop in Texas call Speck's. It is a chain out of Houston that is liquor store nirvana! Great prices and great selection.

Oh, that Pappy 20 year is something special - and I won't ask what you paid, as I'm right there with you.
Have you tried the Pappy 15 year versus the Van Winkle 12 year (Lot B)?
I'd be curious to hear other people's thoughts on the difference......

Top Bottom