What's new

*** WINNER***Grudge Match: OT Vs NEW

Who's going to win the Grudge Match?

• The Old Type

• The NEW

Results are only viewable after voting.
Come on this is a manly brawl of manly razors...what's next Pajama Boy or even worse.....Justin Bieber:w00t:

proxy.php

:lol:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Efficiency: NEW LC
Smoothness: NEW LC
Ease of the shave (grip, stroke and angle....): NEW LC
overall experience: NEW LC

I was having trouble with my SR for some reason. I used a GSB in each and Williams Tonsorial as my soap. This shave, the NEW just ran circles around the old type and I almost considered finishing with just the NEW.

Winner of round one has to go to the NEW.

I'm going to change up soap for the next shave and see how that plays into it.

Kindly,
Adam

Round 2 Gents:
Everything the same as in rd.1 except for 2 items, used Tabac soap & A/S splash. Here we go!!!

1. Efficiency: The Old was very quick and swift on tonites shave. Thinner head profile and size gave it an advantage over The New.=OLD
2. Smoothness:Blades on both were nice and sharp, soap was slick and plenty of cushion. Both performed nicely and gave me a real smooth and close shave. But I got 3 weepers on the left New side, none on the right Old side. Tiny ones, but it counts.=OLD
3. Ease of the Shave: Getting these 2 on proper angle is a breeze. The Old may require an extra stroke to make sure you got it. The New
is practically dummy proof. An Orangutan can get a proper angle on it. The Old just feels right with it being lighter and slightly smaller profile, and it races across your face in no time.=OLD
4. Overall experience: They both gave me a wonderful 3 pass shave on 2 days stubble. But, I got the 3 itsy, bitsy weepers on the New side, and for that the New took a hit.=OLD

The Old took it unanimously tonite boys..... One more will decide it for me.
THE OLD TYPE. ​ALL HAIL THE KING!!!!!
View attachment 721491

Good man!!! :thumbup:

Love that brush! :thumbup1:

Round 3

1918 Ball End OLD Left Astra SP
LC NEW Ball End Handle Right Astra SP
Head shave + beard line cleanup. This time against 2 days growth.

Efficiency: Got to go with the OLD, it really shined against the extra growth.
Smoothness: Draw Now that the Astras have a full shave on each, both razors felt silky smooth and no irritation on either side.
Ease of the shave: OLD It has a smaller head, so it gets into tight places.
Overall experience: OLD Both razors were great, but there is something a bout shaving with 100+ year old design, even if mine is only 99.

Winner of round Three:
OLD easily takes the win. The NEW did try hard though, and if I would have used my bar handle short comb it would have been an even closer match. Mostly because of the handle, I chose the ball to make things more even.

Feb 4: Grudge Match: Old Type thick cap vs NEW SC

Lather: RazoRock Son of Zeus
Brush: Semogue Barbear Classico Cerda
Razor: Gillette Old Type "thick cap" (1921-29)
Second Razor: Gillette NEW Short Comb (with squared corner tabs)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Permasharp Stainless [44]
Splash: Fine l'Orange Noir

Both razors used the same blade being swapped between razors. To even the playing field, both razors used a hollow ball-end handle that was available on both razors. My NEW SC actually came with the thin common bar handle (which I don't like) and my Old Type came without a handle so I normally use a fat Tech handle on mine.

Efficiency: Tied WTG and XTG, then the Old Type squeaks ahead on ATG

Smoothness: This surprised me. Tied on all 3 passes. The Old Type has slightly more blade feel - I thought the difference would be larger, but they're equally smooth.

Ease of Shave: Tied

Overall Experience: I was not expecting this ... I have to give the win to the Old Type. The NEW SC did not win one category! The Old Type is slightly more efficient, not very much though, and has a little more blade feel which I like. To use a car analogy, I like to feel the road.

Winner of Round 1: Old Type thick cap

Last edited:
Round #1

SCORE CARD
:

Efficiency: Tie
Smoothness: Old Type
Ease of the shave (grip, stroke and angle....): Old Type
overall experience: Old Type

Winner of round (one): Old Type

Set-up

SR 1917
NEW (Regent set)

Fresh Feather blades
Semogue LE Foroafeitado 2016
Cella
Floid Blue

Absolutely amazed at how the NEW behaved. I used such a razor months ago but its English iteration... and I loved it, but found it not as efficient as a SR.

Both sides of my ugly mug feel nicely shaved and smooth... yet the right side (NEW) feels like some kind of something.... I really couldn't tell I shaved with two different razors, but the overall experience, the smoothnes, the ease of the shave is for the SR.

The SR cuts the mustard!

Let's see what happens next round....

Good luck tou you all, gentlemen!

NB Will try to post a photo....

Last edited:
Shave 4

Feather(2nd shave)
Left Side: Thick Cap OId Type
Right Side: Short Comb New
Handles: Ball-End Tech
Soap: Dapper Dragon Signature
Brush: Semogue 1250
AS/Balm: Nivea Cooling

In the past, the feather blade and the old has always had a better second shave than the first. Is this improvement enough for the Old Type to recover from Shave 3 and beat the SC New? Let us go to the scorecard and find out.

Efficiency: Even, the face feels the same on both sides, even my trouble areas are similar.

Smoothness: Feedback greatly improved with the second shave for the Old, however the New just barely edges out the Old in this area. Winner New

Ease: The feedback from the Old was dramatically improved over the first shave. This resulted in the Old slightly edging out the New here. Winner Old

Overall: A very hard round for me to pick, however I have to give the edge to the Old Type.

Before this grudge match I would have listed the new ahead of the thick cap old, in my personal listing of razors in order of preference. Now I have to give the edge to the Old type. I need to spend more time with my Single Ring, to see if I can dial in the thin cap old as well or better than the one I used in this Grudge Match...

Winner Round 4 - Old Type

Review:
Round 1 - Old
Round 2 - Old
Round 3 - New
Round 4 - Old

Thanks everyone, have great shaves!

Sure, I'll be in.
Round 1=OT

Round 1=NEW: Round 2= OT: Round 3=OT

Round 1=NEW: Round 2=OT

Oh Yeah!!!! In, In, In.....:w00t:

Round 1=Draw: Round 2=NEW

Round 1=NEW: Round 2=NEW

Round 1=OT: Round 2=OT: Round 3=NEW

Round 1=NEW

Round 1=OT

Round 1=OT

Standing so far:

Round 1
Old Type: 4
NEW: 6
Draw: 1

Round 2
Old Type: 5
NEW: 1
Draw

Round 3
Old Type: 1
NEW: 1
Draw

Last edited:
proxy.php

Just a reminder that the Official Grudge match is a rapid 3 Round event. Feel free to post your extra rounds and there results but these will be unofficial back ally street fights. While they are entertaining their results won't be used for the record books.

Round 1 - sorry I'm late to the party!

Some background: I was an Old Type fanboy for years, but switched over to NEWs after I started cold-water shaving a little over a year ago - mostly because I started cold showering. Recently, I've been having a dalliance with pre-war techs, which I find smoother than NEWs but less efficient (and much more dependent on blade sharpness).

The set-up:
Soap: MWF
Brush: RR Plissoft synthetic
Preparation: bloom water splashed on my face for 30 seconds
Lather technique: Palm lathered
Blades: Gillette Seven O'clock yellow - fresh blades in both
Razors: Ball-end handle Old Type (box brownie) v NEW
Aftershave: Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel, followed by RR Tuscan Oud

Ball end handle comparison - Old Type, NEW by Matthew Wild, on Flickr

I believe this is a thin top cap Old Type, which if I'm correct, dates to the early 20s and is more aggressive than the later model. However, I find this a milder shave than the earlier single ring.

From the outset, I have to state that I used water straight from the cold faucet. (I decided to use progressively warmer water over later shaves to see what that does to my results, so this round might be a bit of an outlier.)

Efficiency: Old Type, on all three passes.

Smoothness: NEW, again on all passes.

Ease: Tied WTG and XTG, but the Old Type cut closer on ATG and required not touch-ups.

Overall experience: NEW, because it felt so much smoother at the time. Frankly, an Old Type in stone-cold water is not all that pleasant - I could feel the blade throughout, especially on ATG. But I did get a closer shave from it.

Winner: I'd have to say that, overall, the NEW takes this round, but it won on points. The Old Type gave me a slightly better shave, but felt horrible doing so - using cold water and with minimal preparation. As Rudyt says above: "The Old Type is slightly more efficient, not very much though, and has a little more blade feel. . ." I pick the NEW because I like shaving to be a calming, meditative experience.

Last edited:
proxy.php

Just a reminder that the Official Grudge match is a rapid 3 Round event. Feel free to post your extra rounds and there results but these will be unofficial back ally street fights. While they are entertaining their results won't be used for the record books.

Yes, sir!

proxy.php

:lol:

​One of my all time favorites is the New Improved Tuckaway, but it is interesting to compare the ones on each side of that in history.
Round #1

$20170204_145435.jpg

Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Omega boar
Razor Left: Gillette Old Type
Razor Right: Gillette NEW Long Comb
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (first shave)
AS: Captain's Choice Bay Rum

Efficiency: first pass with WTG seemed to go to the new, but when lathering for the second pass I saw one tiny weeper. Second pass totally went to the Old Type

Smoothness: both were about the same, but on the second pass with the New I got a little razor burn by the side of my mouth. So this also goes to the Old Type

Ease of Shave: Old Type I had less issues shaving up close to my Handlebar mustache at the sides of my mouth. The hair grows pretty thick there, and can give me a some trouble.

Overall Experience: I was actually surprised at the outcome. now an hour after the shave I think the Old Type side feels a little better, even though both are about as smooth. Initially I had issues with the old type razors and have bought and let several go, then it finally clicked for me so I keep one with the ball end handle. The NEWs I liked so much, i got both an LC and a SC re-plated and consider them a forever keeper. I may need to find an OT that is in the right condition to get restored and have a permanent spot in my collection. However; I think if I do that, I will be looking for single ring, rather than the ball end.

Winner of Round 1: Old Type

Round Three:
Old Type with two piece handle
New Type short comb
Razorock P160 soap
Lord Platinum blades. I used one marked (O,N) blade and switched between razors.
[FONT=&amp]
Efficiency: Tie between the Old Type and New Type
Smoothness: Old Type was a little smoother
Ease of the shave (grip, stroke and angle....):Old Type due to its thinner profile.
Overall experience: Old Type provided a better experience overall

Winner of round Three: The Old Type [/FONT]

[MENTION=46737]Useless shaver[/MENTION] and [MENTION=105180]muiriddin[/MENTION], your latest posts are unreadable to the many people on mobile who use a dark theme.

You've hard coded all text to black, probably because you've cut and pasted from Word or a webpage - your text is full of non-native formatting codes.

If you care to avoid this in future, paste your text into Notepad or some other plain text editor, then cut from that and paste into B&B. Clicking on the Aa icon when editing a post will show all these unwanted formatting codes.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Basil: Rosewood, mahogany, teak?
Mr. Leeman: I beg your pardon?
Basil: What would you like your breakfast tray made out of?

@Useless shaver and @muiriddin, your latest posts are unreadable to the many people on mobile who use a dark theme.

You've hard coded all text to black, probably because you've cut and pasted from Word or a webpage - your text is full of non-native formatting codes.

If you care to avoid this in future, paste your text into Notepad or some other plain text editor, then cut from that and paste into B&B. Clicking on the Aa icon when editing a post will show all these unwanted formatting codes.

Sorry..just posted as usual...:blink:

Top Bottom