What's new

*** WINNER***Grudge Match: OT Vs NEW

Who's going to win the Grudge Match?

• The Old Type

• The NEW

Results are only viewable after voting.
Does anyone know what the top caps of the New's were made of? Looks like some sort of copper or "red brass". One thing for sure is the top cap on my LC New darkens/stains fast as all get-out. Wonder why Gillette went that route instead of just using the same type of cap on the OT?

Does anyone know what the top caps of the New's were made of? Looks like some sort of copper or "red brass". One thing for sure is the top cap on my LC New darkens/stains fast as all get-out. Wonder why Gillette went that route instead of just using the same type of cap on the OT?

Red brass, don't know why. Yes it water spots and darkens quickly!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
proxy.php

I'm in, and will somehow work this in with One Blade February. I've never had one blade go the full distance so doing two might still work.

Blade TBD - I have some Nacets and Polsilver SI coming in the mail, or may just go with Rapira.

In order to be close as possible, I'll use 1920 Pocket Old Type and a NEW LC ball end. Maybe I'll look for a NEW SC on the bay to be closer.

If I had to guess (and I am guessing), copper was cheaper than zinc at the time, so more copper in the brass.

The OLD caps were four separate pieces, the New caps were one piece, I've wondered if the red brass worked better for the manufacturing process involved in making New and Tech caps. Also, the hollow bottom part of the Tech and bar handles, which was not just a simple tube, was also made of red brass, while the other parts were still made of yellow brass. If red was cheaper, the whole razor would have been red.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If red was cheaper, the whole razor would have been red.

That could be. They may have preferred a softer brass for the top cap. However, the opposite possibility, equally as likely at this point, is that they needed a harder brass for the rest of the razor and were willing to put up with the added cost to make it happen. I've never seen it explained one way or another, so we just speculate (which is its own fun :w00t:).

In other words, it's exactly as you said before: "don't know why."

That could be. They may have preferred a softer brass for the top cap. However, the opposite possibility, equally as likely at this point, is that they needed a harder brass for the rest of the razor and were willing to put up with the added cost to make it happen. I've never seen it explained one way or another, so we just speculate (which is its own fun :w00t:).

In other words, it's exactly as you said before: "don't know why."

And probably never will!

The OLD caps were four separate pieces, the New caps were one piece, I've wondered if the red brass worked better for the manufacturing process involved in making New and Tech caps. Also, the hollow bottom part of the Tech and bar handles, which was not just a simple tube, was also made of red brass, while the other parts were still made of yellow brass. If red was cheaper, the whole razor would have been red.

Hi,

Bingo! Easier to work, and they wanted to form that NEW center ridge....

Stan

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Well You all know WE love pictures Here at B&B,So I think if you are in We need to See The Whisker removal instruments of Choice .

Top Bottom