What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

Only three reviews since November 6th. This thread is trailing off...I really need soap my review fix. :001_smile
I promise reviews once I get box 2....

But a quick review of paladin tobacco road.....at work so it's short and sweet....

Lathered well. I used a paladin chief 26mm and loaded/started in a bowl. Liked the scent, more of a gentle leather and tobacco smell, not a burning cigar smell but more of tobacco leaves. Scent was mild on lathering also.

Performance. Used my PRC 7/8 phoenix. Slickness and residual slickness were good. Allowed me to go over spots without issue.

Package....I like the jar, heavy glass, seems plenty big to load from.

I will be putting a sample into box 2!

proxy.php

proxy.php

But a quick review of paladin tobacco road.....at work so it's short and sweet....

Lathered well. I used a paladin chief 26mm and loaded/started in a bowl. Liked the scent, more of a gentle leather and tobacco smell, not a burning cigar smell but more of tobacco leaves. Scent was mild on lathering also.

Performance. Used my PRC 7/8 phoenix. Slickness and residual slickness were good. Allowed me to go over spots without issue.

proxy.php

proxy.php
Excellent review!

Sent from the Danger Phone

proxy.php
Whew!! Thanks for filling in with this review while we're waiting on the box reviews!!

Love the looks of the PRC straight!! And in black and white, it's just a timeless classic!! How do you like the Paladin brush? @clyde72 posted about Paladin in another thread, I looked them up and found some really nice looking handles.

Whew!! Thanks for filling in with this review while we're waiting on the box reviews!!

Love the looks of the PRC straight!! And in black and white, it's just a timeless classic!! How do you like the Paladin brush? @clyde72 posted about Paladin in another thread, I looked them up and found some really nice looking handles.
Thanks, happy to oblige. I like the paladin brush, maybe not my favorite brush. It may be more related to using primarily with samples so I'm not using it in a way I've done with my other brushes. It is a well made brush, great attention to detail and finish.
Just obtaining one can be problematic, they sell super fast once posted. That's the best testament to how highly regarded these brushes are.

Here's the Paladin (Falstaff 24mm in Jade) brush I just got last week...
$006.jpg

It has the newer knot in it (not the knots that were sourced from Lee Sabini) and I have to say that it's outstanding. Great backbone and density with zero scritch and an ultra soft face feel. The backbone is on par with the Shavemac 2 band Silvertip brush that I own (an outstanding brush) and the softness on par with my Rooney Emilion brush (which is the softest brush I own). It's like the best of both worlds for me.

This is one of the very best shaves I've encountered to date...

View attachment 702516

Razor: Timeless .68 SB
Brush: Paladin Falstaff 24mm
Soap: Sudsy Soapery Lavender & Peppermint
Here's the Paladin (Falstaff 24mm in Jade) brush I just got last week...

It has the newer knot in it (not the knots that were sourced from Lee Sabini) and I have to say that it's outstanding. Great backbone and density with zero scritch and an ultra soft face feel. The backbone is on par with the Shavemac 2 band Silvertip brush that I own (an outstanding brush) and the softness on par with my Rooney Emilion brush (which is the softest brush I own). It's like the best of both worlds for me.
Ok, now I've got brush, razor, and soap envy going on here. :drool: Gorgeous brush and the handle look like it would fit the hand very nicely. Because of these pass-arounds (including the PCN), I've learned the importance of backbone in the brush and its effect on lathering. And the razor looks amazing! With the head rounded like that, does it make the razor more aggressive or less aggressive?

Ok, now I've got brush, razor, and soap envy going on here. :drool: Gorgeous brush and the handle look like it would fit the hand very nicely. Because of these pass-arounds (including the PCN), I've learned the importance of backbone in the brush and its effect on lathering. And the razor looks amazing! With the head rounded like that, does it make the razor more aggressive or less aggressive?

The handle is very heavy, as it this razor. The handle fits great in my hand and the knurling make it very non slip even with soapy hands. The razor is a Timeless .68 Straight Bar. By a good margin the mildest or at least the mildest feeling razor that I own. Though while it's mild, it's still very efficient and gives a perfect dolphin smooth shave with very little effort. I own some really great razors, that people are throwing down crazy amounts of money to buy, including the BBS-1, Wolfman, several ATT razors, King Cobra, etc and this razor gives me the smoothest most comfortable shave I've experienced to date. With the Sudsy Soapery soap and this razor I feel like I can do about fifteen passes if I wanted to without paying any consequences for doing so.

I've been loving this setup and I honestly wonder if there exists anything better out there.

Last edited:
Box 1, Shave #2
Soap: Mystic Water Sweet Briar
Razor: Edwin Jagger 3D
Blade: Voskhod
Brush: Plisson

Performance: This soap has a very soft consistency which makes it easy to load up into the brush. Lather produced lots of cushion. Unfortunately I wasn't able to achieve much slickness from the lather which made the shave a bit uncomfortable. No weepers. Post shave left my face hydrated but I expected a better face feel due to the inclusion of tallow, shea butter, and lanolin in the ingredients.

Scent: Similar to Beaver WoodWright's Captain's Pipe, minus the cherry. I smell sweet Cavendish pipe tobacco, and that's it. No smoke scent, just pure sweet tobacco. Not a scent I would pick to shave with every day, but I find it enjoyable.

Conclusion: Didn't have the best shave today with the Sweet Briar but I want to give Mystic Water another shot and try the Rosalimone.

proxy.php

Current list:
1. BJ Rose -
2. rockclimber -
3. Smattayu -
4. elvergun -
5. sfeile -
6. cvargo
7. NyquistRate -
8. bobmsp -
9. Grundi -
10. huskers - Box 3
11. Corsair66 - Box 2 sent 11/10/2016 Tracking Number 1z8w5e240381518319 - please skip Ken for box three.
12. Jamzdean - skipped or dropped at his request (I think)
13. rx dude - awaiting box 2
14. samarijack -
15. sheashaves710 - Box 1
16. Kaidoh
17. TriggerMan
18. davidr2340
19. tclobaugh - helping to moderate
20. dangerousdon
21. CzechCzar
22. JayEddie
23. Chumango
24. JSouthard825
25. Oteixeira
26. Mitretnuh
27. back to dfoulk

[MENTION=112581]Mitretnuh[/MENTION] - You may need to check with [MENTION=73656]dfoulk[/MENTION] to see if there are still spots available.

Current list:
1. BJ Rose -
2. rockclimber -
3. Smattayu -
4. elvergun -
5. sfeile -
6. cvargo
7. NyquistRate -
8. bobmsp -
9. Grundi -
10. huskers - Box 3
11. Corsair66 - Box 2 sent 11/10/2016 Tracking Number 1z8w5e240381518319 - please skip Ken for box three.
13. rx dude - awaiting box 2
14. samarijack -
16. Kaidoh
17. TriggerMan
18. davidr2340
20. dangerousdon
21. CzechCzar
22. JayEddie
23. Chumango
24. JSouthard825
25. Oteixeira
26. back to dfoulk

26. Mitretnuh - removed

Hunter, with this one the box has to come back to me for the samples to be refilled between rounds. You're welcome to join in for the next round when signups open up again. Just follow this thread and you'll know when. I plan on continuing this for as long as there's interest. Thank you - David

@Mitretnuh - You may need to check with @dfoulk to see if there are still spots available.

Bob, thank you.

I do wish I could just keep adding people along the way but I set the number of people per round so that I can refill the samples in between rounds. This way the last person doesn't get a box of empty sample containers. I've already turned several people away that wanted to be added to this round for this very reason.

Current list:
1. BJ Rose -
2. rockclimber -
3. Smattayu -
4. elvergun -
5. sfeile -
6. cvargo
7. NyquistRate -
8. bobmsp -
9. Grundi -
10. huskers - Box 3
11. Corsair66 - please skip Ken for box three.
13. rx dude - Box 2
14. samarijack -
16. Kaidoh
17. TriggerMan
18. davidr2340
20. dangerousdon
21. CzechCzar
22. JayEddie
23. Chumango
24. JSouthard825
25. Oteixeira
26. back to dfoulk

26. Mitretnuh - removed

Hunter, with this one the box has to come back to me for the samples to be refilled between rounds. You're welcome to join in for the next round when signups open up again. Just follow this thread and you'll know when. I plan on continuing this for as long as there's interest. Thank you - David

Box 2 in hand. Have some candidates for tonight.

Current list:
1. BJ Rose -
2. rockclimber -
3. Smattayu -
4. elvergun -
5. sfeile -
6. cvargo
7. NyquistRate -
8. bobmsp -
9. Grundi -
10. huskers - Box 3
11. Corsair66 - please skip Ken for box three.
13. rx dude - Box 2
14. samarijack -
16. Kaidoh
17. TriggerMan
18. davidr2340
20. dangerousdon
21. CzechCzar
22. JayEddie
23. Chumango
24. JSouthard825