What's new

The Great Canadian Pass Around Box 5 (Signup + the round) CTB5

I must say that was a thoroughly enjoyable shave! Today's shave consisted of a few scrapings of Tobac into a bowl, the Treet Carbon blade and the adjustable razor you see here. Of course I had to use my favorite Bay Rhum splash after the fact.

The Tobac performed really nicely. I'm not a huge fan of the scent, my son said it reminded him of hotel soap, but it makes up for it in performance. Too bad they discontinued the fat version since this would be great bang for buck soap. I'm a fan of Treet products and I've never had the chance to try a Carbon blade so that's what I grabbed today. It was surprisingly smooth and contrary to other posts of read about them, it seemed to have no issue cutting through the extended growth.

The nicest part of the whole shave was the razor. I started at 3 like the others suggested. Then I cranked it up a notch for a stroke. Then again for the next stroke. There was some tugging on setting 8, but everything went away at 7. After the first pass, I bumped it back down to 4 for XTG. Very little blade feel, but you could hear the razor singing away. I did briefly try 3 for the ATG pass, but went back to 4 to finish it up.

As nice of a shave as it was, I still missed the one spot under my left jaw line that always gives me fits, so I had to follow up with a cleanup pass there, and a small one my cheek. There was a bit of alum block feedback, but nothing extreme.

Given how little I shave, this will be the last day with the box. I'll contemplate a few items that I may swap out in order to try them in the future and post it before sending the box.

On that note, @Jayson74 Come on DOWN! You're the next contestant on Canadian Pass Around!

20240529_114559.jpg

Did you end up testing the straight @nlife?

Only on a VERY small patch to see if I could actually manage it. I've been watching some how-to vids to get a better idea on it all. The part that scares me the most is around my chin. How the heck do you shave that? So many angles. Slowly with lots of stretching and pulling is my guess.

I'm also wondering about how to shave the off-hand side of my face. Some switch hands and do it that way, but I dunno. Frankly, I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It comes with practice to get a good shave with a straight. I believe it took me around 70-80 shaves using a straight razor daily to get the hang of it.

Today, I don’t think that I could pickup a straight and have a BBS shave right away. I’ve been using DE razor for a good while at this stage.

I don’t know if I would have a shorter learning curve now since I used one regularly for a few years.

Anyway, it’s another rabbit hole!

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Only on a VERY small patch to see if I could actually manage it. I've been watching some how-to vids to get a better idea on it all. The part that scares me the most is around my chin. How the heck do you shave that? So many angles. Slowly with lots of stretching and pulling is my guess.

I'm also wondering about how to shave the off-hand side of my face. Some switch hands and do it that way, but I dunno. Frankly, I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...
I was actually surprised by how easily I was able to use my off hand with a straight from the word go. To me it feels much more natural than if I do it with a safety. My off-hand with a straight is ALMOST as easy as my dominant hand now.

The straight razor is the one item I thought about swapping out before sending the box off, but now that I've realized that I have a bit more time, I should be able to give it a try before deciding one way or the other. There are a few blades that I wouldn't mind grabbing, but other than that I'm just enjoying trying new things. Even if it's in a very limited way.

Tonight was the last shave for me with the box (for realsies this time @Jayson74!).

I had a shower, chose Musco Real, put a decent squeeze into my boar brush and built a decent lather. Once done, I mustered up the courage to try the straight razor.

I was pretty nervous about this so I started on the dominant hand side and carefully worked my way down my cheek. I had about 5 days worth of growth and I tell you the razor sure sings! Once I got to my chin and tried to figure out how to deal with the sideways growth on my chin and jawline, but decided that this was just too awkward for me.

I grabbed my .68P and finished up the shave with a GSB blade. It was really nice to get back to the ol' tried and true.

I'm still going to have a look over a few items and decide if there's anything I want to swap out, though at this point I may just pass it on as is. I'll snap pictures of anything I change out or add tomorrow before getting it sent off to @Jayson74.

Thanks for letting me be a part of all this folks!

Neil

Tonight was the last shave for me with the box (for realsies this time @Jayson74!).

I had a shower, chose Musco Real, put a decent squeeze into my boar brush and built a decent lather. Once done, I mustered up the courage to try the straight razor.

I was pretty nervous about this so I started on the dominant hand side and carefully worked my way down my cheek. I had about 5 days worth of growth and I tell you the razor sure sings! Once I got to my chin and tried to figure out how to deal with the sideways growth on my chin and jawline, but decided that this was just too awkward for me.

I grabbed my .68P and finished up the shave with a GSB blade. It was really nice to get back to the ol' tried and true.

I'm still going to have a look over a few items and decide if there's anything I want to swap out, though at this point I may just pass it on as is. I'll snap pictures of anything I change out or add tomorrow before getting it sent off to @Jayson74.

Thanks for letting me be a part of all this folks!

Neil
LOL

And the box is on it's way to @Jayson74! I just returned from the post office after dropping the box off stuffed with all sorts of shaving goodies. I had taken a few items and added a few items in return.

Items added:
  • Mudder Focker
  • Henri et Victoria Bay Rum shave soap - 99.5% full
  • tuck of Treet Platinum blades
  • tuck of Minora SS blades
  • 3 RK SS blades
  • 9 or so Lord Classic blades
Items taken:
  • Tuck of Voshkod blades
  • Tuck of Nacet blades
  • 2 Treet New Steel blades
  • 2 Gillette 7 O'clock SS blades
All other items are as previously posted by @Leverspro.

20240605_154359.jpg

The tracking number is:

0103271147582216, or you can click this link -> Canada Post Tracking and be taken directly there.

And the box is on it's way to @Jayson74! I just returned from the post office after dropping the box off stuffed with all sorts of shaving goodies. I had taken a few items and added a few items in return.

Items added:
  • Mudder Focker
  • Henri et Victoria Bay Rum shave soap - 99.5% full
  • tuck of Treet Platinum blades
  • tuck of Minora SS blades
  • 3 RK SS blades
  • 9 or so Lord Classic blades
Items taken:
  • Tuck of Voshkod blades
  • Tuck of Nacet blades
  • 2 Treet New Steel blades
  • 2 Gillette 7 O'clock SS blades
All other items are as previously posted by @Leverspro.

View attachment 1858016

The tracking number is:

0103271147582216, or you can click this link -> Canada Post Tracking and be taken directly there.
Cant wait to check it out!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Canada Post has really low expectations to quickly deliver that parcel! Accepted on the 5th of June at the post office. Expected delivery on the 17th of June!

I think they might put it on a boat and they will go around.

The locations are not exact (I need to protect the sender/receiver here). But here's the path that I think CP is using...
1717678601880.png

I sincerely hope it won't sink!

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Canada Post has really low expectations to quickly deliver that parcel! Accepted on the 5th of June at the post office. Expected delivery on the 17th of June!

I think they might put it on a boat and they will go around.

The locations are not exact (I need to protect the sender/receiver here). But here's the path that I think CP is using...
View attachment 1858205

I sincerely hope it won't sink!
Hopefully they don't lose too many men on this mission!

Top Bottom