What's new

Why would i want a stainless steel razor?

I prefer stainless steel razors because they have a nice weight and balance. I also like that there isn't any plating that can wear off. The tolerances are also tight, so I don't have to worry about blade alignment. Just like any other material, the design of the razor is the most important aspect. I have tried 4 different stainless steel razors and I only kept 2.

This seems to be a hot topic on here from time to time.

Just my opinion here... I think, for most of the folks that are into wet shaving, it is more about self indulgence and less about saving money. A lot of us enter into it under the premise that it is to save money, but we quickly spend more than you would on a years worth of cartridges without a second thought.

How many people on here own more than 2 of something (brushes, razors, soap)? Pure and simple indulgence.

If you have the money and want a stainless razor, just buy it!

Because you are seriously infected with RAD with no cure in sight?

Stainless steel razors are popular and somewhat common. I've been tempted to buy one, but never have.

What are the pros and cons of a stainless steel razor? Why would I want one?

It seems to me they often are expensive, and they may be uncomfortably heavy.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I like brass razors. They have great weight and feel, and new ones can be picked up quite reasonably. Brass is a very good and acceptable material to make safety razors out of. A razor lasting 10,000 years is frankly above my ability to care. I say if you want stainless more power to you. For me I love my brass razors and have no desire for a stainless steel razor.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have a small collection of razors from the ubiquitous EJ DE89, Gillette Slim, Mergress, ATT M1, M2, R1, S1 and a Wolfman.

I have gotten many BBS shaves with each razor, so that's not the reason to purchase a better razor. I'm 65, so while I'm happy to leave a nice razor to my son it's not my highest priority.

All products have a quality scale, generally inextricably tied to price. Why drive a Honda when you can drive a Smart car? Why drive an Audi when you can drive a Honda? Why drive a Ferrari when you can drive an Audi? We all have different needs, comfort levels, quality tolerances and wallets. As I progressed through my small collection I found the quality increased along with the percentage of BBS shaves (and the weepers declined). YMMV. With the Wolfman I generally go 6 weeks between weepers (unless I'm using MdC and then it's 3 months) and all BBS shaves. Some of you can no doubt do that with the EJ, but I can't. I require a tool that is not mass produced.

Some pot metal razors are okay, and some are absolute junk.

Machined aluminum heads are better, depending on type of head, aggressiveness and one's personal preference.

Machined stainless steel heads are better still, also depending on type of head, aggressiveness and one's personal preference.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Some pot metal razors are okay, and some are absolute junk.

Machined aluminum heads are better, depending on type of head, aggressiveness and one's personal preference.

Machined stainless steel heads are better still, also depending on type of head, aggressiveness and one's personal preference.

...and brass is absolutely fine and can hold it's own and cost a boat load less.

Only you can answer that OP, but personally all of my favorite razors are either solid stainless steel, or brass, with my favorite four or five being SS. The build quality makes the razor so solid and this improves the experience for me immensely. Most brass razors I own are not as solid especially in the head area as the stainless ones I own. As usual that YMMV thing applies and this is the reason only you can answer your question.

I think stainless is the best for one simple reason, no plating. My first razor was the MR8, after a week or so the plating on the handle started to peel. It is now in my travel Dopp kit. I never have to worry about stainless peeling and that is worth the extra $$$.

I like brass razors. They have great weight and feel, and new ones can be picked up quite reasonably. Brass is a very good and acceptable material to make safety razors out of. A razor lasting 10,000 years is frankly above my ability to care. I say if you want stainless more power to you. For me I love my brass razors and have no desire for a stainless steel razor.

Me too! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom