What's new

How do you like your eggs?

A trick of the diner trade....Crack an egg on the flat-top, add a little water and cover with a pot lid. The steam cooks the top of the yolk and the flat-top does a nice job of fry. No flipping. Try it in your skillet at home with a lid.
I've done that, works well. I turn the heat down pretty quick and let it cook a couple minutes...

proxy.php
This I'd never heard of, gonna try soon, thx.

Can't beat the proper French scrambled eggs.....In a bain marie, constant movement over low heat to yield a super creamy texture. Finish with creme fraiche and chive.

Other than that, slow scrambled egg in a regular pan is good (same principles, less equipment).

At a restaurant, usually over easy with hashbrowns and sourdough toast.

I just tried the "Low and Slow" cooking method making up a batch of Canadian Toast.

This batch included the last of a loaf of Sourdough bread, and I added in 3 beef hot-dogs that were minced into small cubes.

I used a non-stick covered skillet on an induction hotplate. I knocked the heat setting down to 4 (210deg) from my default setting of 5 (250deg) and I doubled the cooking time between each stirring from 5min to 10min. I repeated this 3 times.

The "Low and Slow" cooking made them much fluffier, and it avoided the scorched pieces that always formed on the bottom of the pan.
The individual pieces of batter soaked bread don't clump together as much, and there seems to be more flavor coming through as well.

I'll definitely be using this method more in the future whenever I cook eggs, in any format.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
French Toast with REAL maple syrup :yesnod:

Some type of brioche or challah, batter of eggs and cream augmented with vanilla for the kiddies and Grand Marnier for the adults, powdered sugar, maple syrup, et voila.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Would have to be either Quiche

or

French Toast with REAL maple syrup :yesnod:

I have always like Log Cabin. A few weeks ago I bought some real Vermont maple syrup. I will not be going back to Log Cabin. After having the real thing, the LC seems too heavy, if you know what I mean.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Some type of brioche or challah, batter of eggs and cream augmented with vanilla for the kiddies and Grand Marnier for the adults, powdered sugar, maple syrup, et voila.

I will second the challah- it is the perfect French toast bread. Maybe it is because of the high egg content in challah.

I have always like Log Cabin. A few weeks ago I bought some real Vermont maple syrup. I will not be going back to Log Cabin. After having the real thing, the LC seems too heavy, if you know what I mean.

Most of what you find at the store is corn syrup with maple flavor added.

Real maple syrup from anywhere in the great white north is what you want

If you ever get up there you will find that there are different grades of pure maple syrup....

proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

We have a neighbour (middle of a 600k city) that was tapping maple trees in the neighbourhood to add to syrup production. Managed to trade him some of my garlic and jars of tomato sauce for a small bottle. The last few years the trees have been decimated by wind storms so my local street source is gone. He was adding his liquid to that sourced on a family farm, 40:1 reduction to get syrup.

Also keeps your eyes open for Birch Syrup. I believe it's an 80:1 reduction so even more expensive then maple.
dave

I'm feeling pretty inadequate with my Mrs Butterworth now, [emoji45]

Tasted OK on waffles the other day though...
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom