What's new

How often do you remove and clean your blade on a three piece?

The blade never comes out of the razor until it's ready to be changed out. After each shave, the head of the razor is rinsed off and then I shake it several times like I'm using a little hammer to get the excess water out before putting it back on the stand. I have a rotation of 4 razors which I switch out every month or so and it's only when I switch razors that I give them a thorough cleaning using dish soap and a tooth brush before storing them. I consider doing anything more than what's described above to be excessive and unnecessary.

I just rinse the outside of the razor,shake it and towel dry...the blade doesn't come out until it's time to throw it away. Even if I'm using carbon steel blades.

Wow. Kinda amazed at the number who disassemble every day.

I wonder: are gents with hard water more prone to need this? I have soft water, rinse well with hot water after every shave, never open it except to change blades, and I never have build-up on either blade or razor. (It's a 1957 Tech.)

I bet this topic comes up at least every two weeks as a new thread. Guess it'll be around until all the naysayers stop responding.

Varies. For some reason I'll go a stretch of just rinsing, towel off, and hang dry. Others stretches I'll disassemble, wipe clean, towel dry, and then let hang. Just depends which stretch I'm currently in.

On every razor after each shave i took of the blade sponge it dry until the next shave. I dont want my razor to rust.

Only when I change the blade do I use an old toothbrush and liquid soap to clean up. After every shave I rinse the razor off and dry with a soft towel is all.

I take it apart than clean and dry the razor after every single shave. Also, after each shave I toss a blade, with a very few exceptions when use particular blade twice. Always clean, close, irritation free four passes BBS shave. I really enjoy it.

Thanks for the input gentleman.

after each shave I toss a blade

I've been debating this, maybe two shaves though. In reality I'd still be saving money. My best shave, with the least amount of neck irritation, is always with a fresh blade

I disassemble, clean, and dry the razor and blade after each shave.
Just good hygiene, and I like having my razor looking good for my next shave.

Thanks,
Curt

I clean it every Tuesday when there is a full moon but no high tide. This keeps the germs and the soap away. I bury the blade with the edges aligned with the north pole and coat it with the juice from eye of newt and its good the next day for another 300 shaves.
Shees, you guys!

I blow the water out and pat the razor dry is all. I change the blade every 4th shave lately. That's when I clean the razor.

Me too. I shave every day, usually.

I'm surprised so many people are saying they take everything apart and clean it all after every shave.

Wow. Kinda amazed at the number who disassemble every day.

I wonder: are gents with hard water more prone to need this? I have soft water, rinse well with hot water after every shave, never open it except to change blades, and I never have build-up on either blade or razor. (It's a 1957 Tech.)
Exactly my reason for cleaning daily. Limescale is horrendous. I also sometimes find debris on the blade near the cap abutment which confirms a daily clean is helpful.

I rinse my razor under the tap, give it a couple of shakes and put it in my razor stand after using it.

When i change blades i normally give it a quick clean with an old toothbrush if it looks manky, or if i'm going to use a different razor for my next shave.

I clean and dry my razor and blade each time. I have not ever done that with cartridges - I am not sure what made me change. Maybe because I eat fast food in hurry with plastic tools and I have my time and use nice tools with my stake???

Top Bottom