What's new

Meet Bernard My 95 Year Old Friend

Almost makes a grown man weep, both for joy and a longing for the personal pride and standards of days gone by.

Wonderful interview and writeup.

If you do another "interview", see if you can get him to talk about his WW II experiences!

I will try - but that is one topic he really has a problem with. He said even after all these years memories come back to him that haunt him.

Almost makes a grown man weep, both for joy and a longing for the personal pride and standards of days gone by.

+1

Very, very well put. I feel as though the dignity of our nation is tied to this man's heart. Oh, that his heart would never fail him, for America will be the lesser when comes that day. May we carry that same spirit inside us, for the sake of our families, businesses, communities, and nation.

I'm so glad to have read this interview, as well as all the respectful and grateful responses from all of you members.

To the beloved [Bernard], whom I love in truth: Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers. For I rejoiced greatly when [Jim] came and testified of the truth that is in you, just as you walk in the truth.
(III John 1b - 3)

A great read, thanks Jim.

Can you send him my regards next time that you see him - I feel he might get a kick out of knowing someome from halfway around the world was chuckling as I read his words today.

Wow, reading this was a great way to start the day. If everyone in the world had a Bernard in their life it would be a much better place. Truly the greatest generation. Thanks for sharing.

What a great read.

My Granny is 90 years old, and grew up where I was raised in a remote area of the Ozarks.

She was 13 the first time she ever went to town, which was an all day long trip requiring an overnight stay.

She knows how to make lye soap, medicines of various kinds from plants in the woods, and could always build anything she needed.

There was nothing in the woods she didn't know how to catch and eat. She was a fantastic gardener and canned a ton of stuff every summer.

She is physically a little feeble but still mentally sharp as a tack.

This is a picture of me and her taken a couple of weeks ago...

What a great read.

My Granny is 90 years old, and grew up where I was raised in a remote area of the Ozarks.

She was 13 the first time she ever went to town, which was an all day long trip requiring an overnight stay.

She knows how to make lye soap, medicines of various kinds from plants in the woods, and could always build anything she needed.

There was nothing in the woods she didn't know how to catch and eat. She was a fantastic gardener and canned a ton of stuff every summer.

Thanks for sharing about granny. My grandparents are long gone, as is my dear father. Listening to their history, like your granny's, makes me wonder if that generation found us almost useless. God bless them.

What a great read.

Another thank for sharing. My granny is 102 years old, and she's the one who reared us, since we had a working mother. She's physically quite feeble but refuses to use a wheelchair or any other thing. Only support she'll use will be a hand from one of us.

Mentally quite sharp still. Had she had a chance at proper education (girls were not meant to go to school in those days in India), she would have turned out a much more prominent figure.

Thank you Jim for taking the time to interview Bernard, what a gentleman we can aspire to and learn from. Thank you for the additional effort for transcribing all of it into the forum. It was truly a wonderful read.

I know it's the tradition around here to pay it forward, but I think this might be a great situation to pay it back to a humble man who is an inspiration.

The first thing that hit me when you mentioned that he was leaning the nursing home, Is that he is going to get to use his straights again. I'm betting our generous crew could come up with a very nice "starter" kit to help in that. I'm a DE guy myself, but I'd happily donate one of my favorite soaps ( PPF or Synergy).

Just an idea...

He used the same brush for 20 years before replacing it… I think there's something wrong with the rest of us who have multiple brushes.

Great read. Thanks for posting that.

Top Bottom