What's new

Anybody still using the same razor you started DE shaving with?

I just realized, of all the equipment I've tried, I'm still using the same Merkur 34C razor that I started with. Most everything else has changed (or as with software, been added to), but this one has been my constant.

Any of you, newbies or oldies, still using (even if in rotation) the same DE razor you started with? And, if so, which one?

I still use my Merkur 23C from time to time, particularly if I have more than a couple days growth. The other two razors I own (Weishi and Slim) are TTO and harder to clean if they get cloged mid shave, but the three-piece design allows me to losen and clear the blade with little effort. It also is a very nice shave in general but I find that I like my razors a little more mild than even a 23C.

I'm not. I started out with a merkur 33c, used it for a few months, then got the RAD bug. I've gone through both vintage and new, tto and 3-piece, open comb and safety bar. I currently have a flare tip super speed and a merkur progress, but honestly I've never gotten any better a shave than I did with that 33c. I think out of all the things we use, the razor is the least important of the bunch.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I bought a Gillette M1 black handle super speed brand new in 1967. I put it away when I started using carts. I still have it, minty, case, blade dispenser and all. I remember it being too mild and haven't used it since. I should try it with a Feather. I did use a nickel Gillette Tech in the Army starting in 1960; I no longer have it.

I'm also still rocking the 34C. I'm not sure if this was exactly intentional on my part, but I guess it's good to have at least one part of the experience constant while figuring out what I do/don't like. I started DE shaving after Christmas, and I'm definitely narrowing down preferences with blades, cream/soap, aftershave, etc. Maybe I'll splurge and get another razor at the end of the year?

I kinda bought 2-3 vintage Gillettes out of the box. Still use them, plus some others that I have picked up along the way.

Not even sure the names of my razors (I'll post them one of these days to find out) but I'm still using the two DEs that I bought very cheaply in the B/S/T when I began wet shaving. I use my TTO pretty much daily and my 3 piece for travel. Haven't ever tried any other DEs, but I love the ones I have!

Ha...I haven't touched my Merkur 1904 since I bought my first vintage Gillette a couple of years ago. I still remember telling my GF that "I would save money on shaving" and "that I would only need one DE razor for the rest of my life". Then RAD kicked in.

I started with some type of Gillette that I cannot even recall the model of. I know it was new as it was a birthday (or xmas) gift in the mid 60's.

I looked for it when I was back at my parents last time but only found my grandfather's 40's style Gillette.

I really do not have any strong recollections about my first razor (TTO or 3 piece) and when I went off to college I forgot to take it so bought a super adjustable which I still have and use today.

I started with an early '70's black handle SS that I bought at an antique store. I have since PIF'd it to a friend, but replaced it with a birth quarter razor of the same model. So I don't still have my first DE, but I have one of its older brothers.

Last edited:
I'm only two months into this but I don't think I will ever get rid of my first because it was a 30th birthday gift from my sister and I'm a sucker for sentimental type stuff.

Started with a Wieshi and Old Type. Binned the Wieshi after a month (mistake, wish I hadn't), and in two years have tried most versions of Gillette's DE line.

Still prefer the Old Types, others were sold.

:confused1 "Lucy, you got some 'splaining to do!"

It's just a blade holder. They all might have something that's slightly different than others, but once you figure a razor out, you can get good shaves with any of them. I guess my RAD is dying, and no offense to anyone who likes to have many different razors. To each his own.

Nope, my black handled SS went into the medicine cabinet after a few weeks and has only been out a couple times since. I've bought 4 more razors since January and am now really trying to fight my RAD. I'm not sure if selling a couple will help or just give me more money to buy more.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Yep. It's one of my sentimental value razors that gets used regularly. It's a LC NEW that was a Christmas gift from my sister, so it gets used every Monday, and on Christmas.

I still shave occasionally with my 1962 Tech, that I bought at the PX at Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo., while in basic training. I shaved daily at the time with a 1956 Tech, the 62 was my inspection razor, and I used it the for the first time, when I was discharged in Dec. 1963. I think I paid .50 for the razor at the PX.

Top Bottom