What's new

Toys we grew up with

Jarts....

Grandpa had (has) a set up at his camp-now his home. Not dangerous at all if the kids using them have any lick of common sense. Quite challening, too! I kind of want to find a good condition set, someday... :)

Being one of 4 boys, we all had pocket knives, and would spend all day in the woods carving things, making forts, whatever. Dirt is good for ya :)

I don't remember a lot of my toys but this one stands out because I destroyed it not long after I got it :lol::crying: $200811321124_metaljeep2.jpg

I remember I used to have a HotWheels set that you could cast your own out of hot wax and make your own cars. That was a lot of fun. The Cox remote airplanes that you walked in a circle with getting dizzy because the controls were on a string handle.It was gas powered with a little plug you had to heat. Planet of the Apes action figures. I had a Six Million Dollar man with a Bionic eye you could see through that was magnified. haha

Maco was a company in NYC in the 1950s that made the most incredible toy copies of WW2 weapons! Now so politically incorrect but then, shortly after the war, just fine. The guns were near exact plastic replicas of a 1911A pistol, M-1 carbine, 50 cal tripod machine gun, helmets, hand grenades, etc. The shot plastic bullets and fired caps-these would now be illegal. In those days the pistol was illegal in NYC-to close a copy!! I had all of the ones mentioned-they were great!!!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
GI Joe

Not the little wimpy 3 inch ones, I'm talking the big ones that could beat up my sisters Ken and sweep Barbie off her feet.

$imagesCAAULDA2.jpg

$joetailgate033xh5.jpg

I don't remember a lot of my toys but this one stands out because I destroyed it not long after I got it :lol::crying: View attachment 218120

I have a vivid memory of my dad bringing home a firetruck Power Wheel complete with working hose. I was the happiest 5 year old in the history of 5 year olds, :lol: ...until my dad started his attempt at assembly. :eek:

After 6 hours, and much crying (by me, haha), we were ready to fit the battery and send me on my way to my first burning house. Then disaster struck - Sears gave us the wrong battery and the correct one was no longer available. We had to return it later that week and I was devastated.

Needless to say, this was just one of many traumatic childhood experiences that shaped me into the man I am today. :lol:

I have a Rock em Sock em Robots in my house that is used to settle disputes (Who's turn to do the dishes, that sort of thing.) More fun than flipping a coin.

Now THAT'S just smart. Much more fun than rock, paper, scissors that I did back in Okinawa.

Those quote on "infinitely" proves you had one :001_smile. Somebody has made reproductions of the Norelco Football- I would love to have one (and a Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots).

Well, infinite to a kid anyhow. You know, come to think about it, that would be a much funner way to build up upper body strength. make one for adults:001_tongu But I didn't know they made reproduction of the Norelco. I saw one at an estate sale not to long ago. Made me smile. Not sure it worked & I didn't have an extra battery on me.
Man, so many cool toys. Tonka + dirt + beach. Yup, that was loads of fun. I took my daughter to the beach with her pail, shovels, cookie cuters, and that was one happening day for her. Me too! making sand castles & forts.

Atari 2600 (never liked any newer consoles after that) and my Commodore 128 were my video game systems of choice from about 1980-1988.
Legos for hours.
My big wheel in the 70s and my banana-seat Huffy after that.
Star Wars - I had the Death Star from the first movie and my neighbor had the Jawas Landcrawler set. I think we broke every moving part in those before we were 10. And his cousin bit the heads off the action figures.

Most importantly, though, I'm going with dirt, too. I was outside all day playing baseball, riding and jumping our bikes, or building forts in the woods. No toy my parents every bought taught me as much about social skills and hard work than the things I did with my friends outside.

<edit> I just realized I *did* have a disturbing fetish for Hungry Hungry Hippos

Attachments

• $hippos.jpg
    $hippos.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
what about erector sets with the electric motor? I also had all the Evil Knievel stunt vehicles (including the van)- that stuff fetches some money these days.

Early 80's hits for me.

M.A.S.K. He-Man. Original Transformers. GI-Joe and I loved and still have my original nintendo, (before the NES days) popeye table top game. Image is just for reference.

wow no one i know ever mentions m.a.s.k. i remember playing with the car that turned into a plane and the motor cycle that turned into a helicopter. i had a little fm radio too.

what i had plenty of as a kid were micro machines. love those. still have some from when i was a kid which was 20+ years go. oh and the mini micro machines that had the cmaller cars inside.

so did kids lose common sense? everything is a choke hazard. we have servived so far with lead based paint and all the other crap they used to use. i feel that toys no a days suck for the most part. either that or because people are quick to sue and live the rest of their lives on someone elses dollar now the companies have to protect themselves.

Legion

Staff member
<edit> I just realized I *did* have a disturbing fetish for Hungry Hungry Hippos

Ah, Hungry Hippos. My favourite strategy game.

What about these?

I had the set with the purple Chevy and the green Volkswagen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lego, all the way from preschool to elementary school, Lego. A truly wonderful toy, until you step on it :001_tt2:

Top Bottom